Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**ROUND 10: IKYW vs. AAG

IKYW or AAG?

• I Know You Won't

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • All-American Girl

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

countrymusicfan15

Well, I Know You Won't put an end to So Small's reign. Now it faces off against All-American Girl!

Voting will be open for 3 days (closing at 12:44 a.m. AZ time on Friday night/Saturday morning)

"All-American Girl" is my choice.

This round is one of the most easiest ones for me.

"I Know You Won't" is one of the Carrie song I've listened to the least

By contrast, "All-American Girl" is the 3rd song I've listened to the most in life ("Get Out of This Town" > "Ever Ever After"(Carrie's version) > "All-American Girl"). I've listened to this song more than 1500 times

In term of lyrics, "All-American Girl" is a song much happier than "I Know You Won't". The lyric of this song is a story about All-American girl's life

Burst

IKYW by far. AAG is cute and nice and all, but I just don't connect with it as much (which really doesn't make sense seeing as I've never been in a serious relationship... but I guess it does make sense since I'm not a girl...)

PRGuy79

I'm voting for All-American Girl. Love the song, but I think it is the video that clinches the deal for me here. Watching Carrie play all those characters, displaying her versatility and sense of fun, and then ending with that amazing smile/wink at the camera. It is one of my favorite videos of her career.

countrymusicfan15

I'm confused, I just looked at the SS vs IKYW thread 30 mins ago and SS was winning. Oh well.

The poll was only open for 7 hours last night (until midnight). There was no way to set it to close at that time, so I just checked back around midnight, and IKYW was ahead by 2 votes.

Farawayhills

I prefer "I Know You Won't".
For my taste, "All American Girl" has too much of a Mainstream sound - and that isn't really my scene. However I think it's an important song for Carrie.

Co-writer Kelley Lovelace was one of the first to praise Carrie's attitude as a songwriter. I expect a lot of you have seen the article, but here it is again:
http://www.theboot.com/2008/04/30/story-behind-the-song-all-american-girl-carrie-underwood/
The same writers, by the way, have worked with Carrie more recently, either together or singly, e.g on "Good Girl" and "Eighteen Inches"

As Carrie's from Oklahoma, I wondered if her choice of the title and chorus might have been influenced by the film "Jim Thorpe - All American"

Jim Thorpe was an Oklahoman athlete, who won medals at the 1912 Olympics. Giving him his medal, the King of Sweden said "You, Sir, are the greatest athlete in the world."
Later, though, the US authorities stripped him of his medals, on the grounds that he had accepted a small payment for playing sport on another occasion, making him a professional. This was done even though the time limit for objections had expired, and many richer US college athletes in Eastern states had also accepted payments without action being taken. Some Oklahomans resented the action, and saw it as snobbish discrimination by the establishment.
I've no idea whether Carrie has ever seen that film (in which Burt Lancaster played the athlete) - it just struck me as possible, as she seems to dislike injustice.

The only thing Carrie has actually referred to though is that one verse (the baby girl) reminded her of her relationship with her father.