Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**ROUND 2: Flat On The Floor vs. I Told You So

FOTF or ITYS??

• Flat On The Floor

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I Told You So

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

countrymusicfan15

Flat On The Floor easily won round 1! How will it square off against Carrie's cover of Randy's class "I Told You So"? Voting will close in 4 days this time (instead of 5).

Carrieflattsfan

Once again, I gotta go with "Flat On The Floor."

"I Told You So" is beautiful, but I'm not a fan of the recorded version, myself, and I hardly ever listen to it.

gocountrymusic

Wow A tough one really early on..... I'm going to have to think on this. Flat on The Floor is when of the best up-tempo's in Carrie entire catalog, but I became an I Told You So lover after her performance of it at the Opry and American Idol

I have just voted for "Flat On the Floor".

As Professor Farawayhills said more than one day ago, "Flat On The Floor" can be considered a cover.

Ashley (the co-writer) did perform it for a live session recorded for CMT, and this video was available for quite some time, but may no longer be. Katrina Elam also recorded it for a planned album, which was later shelved. However, her version did receive radio play as an advance single - so, technically, Carrie's version could be called a cover - nevertheless, hers was the first commercial album release.

On the other hand, "I Told You So", a Randy Travis' song, is evidently a cover.

There is a fact that I have listened to "Flat On The Floor" more than "I Told You So".

I may also have a similar point of view to Professor Farawayhills' view

In this clash betwen two songs I like, though, I'm going to have to come down on the side of "Flat On The Floor" - which is really the song that led me to become a Carrie fan. It's also a difficult high speed vocal, imposing considerable demands on the singer, showing emotion that combines vulnerability with determined survival

In addition, "Flat On the Floor" has been the only song released by both Carrie Underwood and Lauren Alaina -2 among my 3 favorite and important singers (supreme rulers of my musical taste), though Lauren's version is not included in any studio album

maddkat

Staff member
this one is hard I love FOTF and the live acoustic version of ITYS....hmmmm.

Ok going with FOTF since I guess we're talking album cuts

gocountrymusic

I have just voted for "Flat On the Floor".

As Professor Farawayhills said more than one day ago, "Flat On The Floor" can be considered a cover.

On the other hand, "I Told You So", a Randy Travis' song, is evidently a cover.

There is a fact that I have listened to "Flat On The Floor" more than "I Told You So".

I may also have a similar point of view to Professor Farawayhills' view

In addition, "Flat On the Floor" has been the only song released by both Carrie Underwood and Lauren Alaina -2 out of my 3 favorite and important singers (supreme rulers of my musical taste), though Lauren's version is not included in any studio album

Personally I never the whole determined which song I liked more by it was a cover or if it was original material. If the artist interprets a song well, makes it their own, and its a good song I'm going to choose it. One of the good things about ITYS for Carrie was that I feel it was her most emotionally complex song up to that point. It kind of pushed the boundaries of Carrie as an interpreter which was one of the biggest highlights of Play On on the strong tracks. Still, I've decided Flat On the Floor is the winner of this round.

One of the good things about ITYS for Carrie was that I feel it was her most emotionally complex song up to that point. It kind of pushed the boundaries of Carrie as an interpreter which was one of the biggest highlights of Play On on the strong tracks. Still, I've decided Flat On the Floor is the winner of this round.

I'm thankful to Gocountrymusic for sharing a helpful point of view about "I Told You So". I just don't understand about "Play On" clearly because "I Told You So" is a song in "Carnival Ride"

Personally I never the whole determined which song I liked more by it was a cover or if it was original material. If the artist interprets a song well, makes it their own, and its a good song I'm going to choose it.

Automatically I rate all the songs sung by my favorite-important singers (supremer rulers) 5 stars (excluding duet, featured songs). Thus, automatically, I love all of them.

However, original songs may have a status higher than that of cover songs. My musical taste depends on and is ruled by my favorite-important singers (supreme rulers). And I really want a song to be a work 100% belonging to a favorite-important singer.

Unlike many people's musical taste which is based on songs and multiple kinds of music, my musical taste is ruled by the favorite and important artists and they determine the most essential part of my musical taste. I don't give 5 stars to other artists

PRGuy79

Go "Flat on the Floor"! Love the beat and vocal delivery of this song! A great way to open "Carnival Ride", setting the tone for everything that follows.

Farawayhills

For the first time, I'm completely unable to choose between these very different, but, for me, equally outstanding songs. As the voting doesn't allow ties, I shall abstain in this round.

I've already given reasons why I like FOTF - this is an example of modern Mainstream Country at its best, with fiddle and banjo giving a high energy accompaniment to Carrie's vocal.

ITYS, by contrast is Neo-traditional Country - a sub-genre which stayed within the prevailing Nashville Sound of some twenty years ago, but at the same time, provided a reaction (and overdue correction) to its more sugary manifestations - reminding Music Row that it didn't have to become[/i} Pop in order to compete commercially with it. It doesn't surprise me that Carrie described this as one of her childhood favourites - what Randy Travis was doing in the late '80s has similarities to Carrie's own approach to making Country Music both authentic and accessible to a wide audience today. Although she rarely dips back into past classics on her albums, when she does, she shows a real flair for re-interpreting them. She gives this song a whole new dimension, and makes it her own - something that Randy Travis himself readily acknowledged. The sincerity in her vocal makes it a gem.

So - an impossible choice for me - and if I could, I'd put both songs forward to the later rounds.