Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4: What Can I Say vs Temporary Home

What Can I Say vs Temporary Home

• What Can I Say

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Temporary Home

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farawayhills

"Temporary Home" is a well structured piece of writing, with the two verses of social awareness culminating in the religious message of the final verse. Although a leading reviewer called Carrie's social commentary in this song and "Change" heavy handed and sentimental - I disagree. I think the message is woven in quite skilfully - for example, the reference to "someday we'll find a place here in this world" is the central highlight of the song, balancing the other-world journey of the final death scene. This song marks, for me, an important stage in the growth of Carrie's songwriting, and says quite a lot about her philosophy.

Nevertheless, the overall effect of "Temporary Home" is mixed for me. Carrie's pure vocal has to bear nearly all the impact of the song - and although this is handled beautifully, and suits the mood well - the downside is that the music seems comparatively lacking in interest. For me this rather weakens the staying power and overall memorable quality of the song.

It is in fact a close call between these two songs. I'm reluctant to vote against either of them - but, for reasons I mentioned in the last round, I'm giving my vote again to "What Can I Say", as overall the more successful song in terms of musical and vocal variety.

"Temporary Home" is a well structured piece of writing, with the two verses of social awareness culminating in the religious message of the final verse. Although a leading reviewer called Carrie's social commentary in this song and "Change" heavy handed and sentimental - I disagree. I think the message is woven in quite skilfully - for example, the reference to "someday we'll find a place here in this world" is the central highlight of the song, balancing the other-world journey of the final death scene. This song marks, for me, an important stage in the growth of Carrie's songwriting, and says quite a lot about her philosophy.

Nevertheless, the overall effect of "Temporary Home" is mixed for me. Carrie's pure vocal has to bear nearly all the impact of the song - and although this is handled beautifully, and suits the mood well - the downside is that the music seems comparatively lacking in interest. For me this rather weakens the staying power and overall memorable quality of the song.

It is in fact a close call between these two songs. I'm reluctant to vote against either of them - but, for reasons I mentioned in the last round, I'm giving my vote again to "What Can I Say", as overall the more successful song in terms of musical and vocal variety.

Though I voted differently from Farawayhills, I liked this explanation because it could provide a lot of knowledge about music.