Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**ROUND 5: GOOTT vs So Small

GOOTT or SS?

• Get Out Of This Town

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • So Small

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farawayhills

I'm voting for GOTT again (though I can see that won't be the majority choice)

SS has an inspiring message and was backed up by an impressive video. Much of it, though, is sung in "power diva" style, building up to a particularly forceful musical and vocal delivery in the last minute or so. While Carrie is certainly a very good exponent of this, it isn't my favorite vocal style - and I'm afraid I can't rate this song among the ones of hers that I enjoy most.

allamericangirl8

I'm voting for GOTT again (though I can see that won't be the majority choice)

SS has an inspiring message and was backed up by an impressive video. Much of it, though, is sung in "power diva" style, building up to a particularly forceful musical and vocal delivery in the last minute or so. While Carrie is certainly a very good exponent of this, it isn't my favorite vocal style - and I'm afraid I can't rate this song among the ones of hers that I enjoy most.

A lot of people always cite this as a complaint actually. I know tons of people who like the acoustic So Small better than the original. I guess I'm in the minority, but the ending of SS is one of my favorite moments in Carrie's catalog. Sure, CR was overproduced in general, but I think it worked the best on SS.

Carrieflattsfan

I agree that the overproduction and "big" sound of "So Small" works perfectly within the context of the lyrics and music.

I think there's a great blend of a power ballad and a meaningful lyric, and I love that. Carrie's not singing to the high heavens simply because she can, and the vocal performance itself (for the most part), is very delicate.
I think the ending result would've been very different if Carrie had oversung the entire song, and I'm relieved she didn't.

I personally have never been a huge fan of the acoustic version of SS, simply because it feels like a different song, and I love it the way it is. Producers and artists tend to be very meticulous in terms of the sound and vocals they want to achieve for each song, too. I think that if Carrie and Mark had envisioned SS as an acoustic ballad, they would've mixed it that way on the record.

"Get Out of This Town", "So Small", "The More Boys I Meet" and "Just a Dream" are the 4 "Carnival Ride" songs whose acoustic versions were officially released.

I personally have never been a huge fan of the acoustic version of SS, simply because it feels like a different song

The studio version and acoustic version of "So Small" are different. However, I also think that there are differences between those of "Get Out of This Town".

I feel that the acoustic version of "So Small" (released in Carnival Ride Target Special edition) is quite similar to the version of "So Small" performed at Walmart Soundcheck.