Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**ROUND 7: So Small vs. Wheel Of The World

SS or WOTW?

• So Small

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Wheel Of The World

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

countrymusicfan15

Now, So Small faces off against one of my all-time favorite Carrie songs, Wheel Of The World. I won't hold my breath, but let's see what happens!! :D As usual, poll will be open for 4 days (until SATURDAY night)

Carrieflattsfan

I love both, and I would vote for WOTW against any other song.

But, SS is one of my favorite songs of all-time, and I can't vote against it.

epicamends

I love both, and I would vote for WOTW against any other song.

But, SS is one of my favorite songs of all-time, and I can't vote against it.

My thoughts exactly. I don't know if there's a single Carrie song I could vote for over SS. It's not necessarily that I think SS is the absolute best song of Carrie's, but it's my personal favourite and holds a special place in my heart.

carebear4eva

WoTW is a cheesy metaphor-laced song that just doesn't do it for me. Not a single innovative thought nor powerful emotion. Her delivery as always is sweet, though.

SS.

epicamends

WoTW is a cheesy metaphor-laced song that just doesn't do it for me. Not a single innovative thought nor powerful emotion. Her delivery as always is sweet, though.

SS.

I couldn't disagree more! "God put us here on this carnival ride, we close our eyes never knowing where it'll take us next. Babies are born, and at the same time someone's taking their last breath." Those are some of my favourite lyrics of any song ever.

allamericangirl8

I'm really torn because I feel like WOTW is one of her very best songs, an underrated gem. And what I like about it is that it painted a direction for PO. Carrie sang many of the PO songs the way she sang WOTW (which was markedly different from the rest of the album). Under any other circumstance, I'd jump right in and vote for it. But I don't like that voting for it would mean voting against SS. I'll give it some thought.

Songs don't have to be innovative to be good. Everything about SS is cliche, but it's a huge fan favorite and one of her best tunes.

PRGuy79

"When you figure out that love is all that matters, after all, it sure makes everything else seem so small..."

maddkat

Staff member
SS- " love is all that matters"

for me WOTW is one of the worst of songs in Carrie's catalog.
The repetition of the lyric wotw is so annoying and overshadows what might have been a good song.

carebear4eva

SS- " love is all that matters"

The repetition of the lyric wotw is so annoying and overshadows what might have been a good song.

Oh, look, someone who's head is screwed on straight! (Jk, I respect, albeit heavily disagree with, all opinions including incorrect ones ;) )

Honestly, though, WoTW is just bad. It lacks any structure, and is completely devoid of artistic merit. And it's stunningly soporific.

I have not determined which I prefer "So Small" or "Wheel of the World".

However, today my vote will go to "So Small".

Both songs can tell us a lot of meanings and describe the quality of Carrie's vocal.

In my opinion, the content of "Wheel of the World" may relate to religion "God put us here on this carnival ride We close our eyes ..." and mainly concentrate on the idea: Life is alike a carnival ride. However, I have never found out a lesson included in this song.

The content of "So Small" provides a big lesson about the value of love and has an active meaning and encouragement.

At the first times I listened to "Wheel of the World", I felt good.

Later I realized the repetition of the lyric and it may not suit me much at this time.

After that, it took me months to get acquainted with this repetition of the lyric.

Nowadays "Wheel of the World" is a good song to me, though it can not be ranked in the highest places among the songs by the rulers of my musical taste. In addition, the repetition makes its length so long, soI can't listen to it a lot of times

Farawayhills

(The one thing that strikes a slightly unsettling note for me in WOTW is the stress on the first syllable of AY-round (though I know a Sussex man hasn't got a leg to stand on, the way some of us would tend to swallow the first syllable and drawl the second one into "reeyound") :D

Apart from that, the repetition of the chorus doesn't detract from the song at al for me. I think that repetition helps to create the swirling rotary effect of the carnival ride metaphor, and also brings out the central theme of the lyric, which is the cyclical nature of life, both in the emotional ups and downs implied in the first verse, and in the deeper procession of births and deaths expressed in the second. Much of the latter part of the album track has a rather "busy" arrangement, with background vocals and rather cluttered instrumentation. On first listen, I'd probably find this intrudes and detracts from the song, but on repeat listening, I found myself tying it in more and more, both with the carnival metaphor and with the often crowded and hectic nature of the wheel of life itself. This became for me one of the most successful uses of "heavy" studio production (something that, on many songs, I'd tend to see as a drawback). Carrie's vocal is also impressive. Note, for example, the way she drops from her power delivery to a sweetly sensitive passage at around 2.40. That struck me as a masterful example of a rare command of mood and expression from a born singer.

So it's WOTW that gets my vote (though once again I see I'm rootng for the losing corner) :)

Burst

I'm mad that JaD was kicked off already :(

However, SS is the better song here. I love WotW as well, but it's just not as powerful imo.

Carrieflattsfan

SS.

WOTW isn't one of my favorite Carrie songs, but the delivery and emotion is unbeatable here. The delicate vocal perfectly suits the message of the song, but it's powerful at the same time. There are at least a dozen songs I'd put below WOTW in terms of lyrical content, but the delivery is gorgeous. I'm a lyric geek, but I think songs like WOTW prove that a stellar, emotional vocal performance can elevate a song more than lyrics alone. Carrie took an average song and made it into a "Carrie Underwood" song, through her stellar delivery and emotion, IMO.

And WOTW was also the perfect way to end the album and tie the theme together perfectly.