Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selena Gomez Cosmo Cover Controversy

supercarriefan

There is a bit of controversy surrounding Selena's Cosmo cover. Some people believe it is too racy, and that Selena shouldn't have done it because of the age of some of her fans.
Nicole Weider (a model and actress apparently) has gone so far as to start an online petition stating the magazine not be sold to those under 18 years of age, and that it should be wrapped in non-transparent paper when it sits on the shelf at stores.
There is a video with a few of the photos from the shoot at the bottom of the article as well.
Selena Gomez Cosmopolitan Cover: Singer Too Young for Racy Spread? (PHOTOS) - AOL Music Blog

I think Nicole's petition is taking it too far. Cosmo should not be treated like a dirty magazine. It is meant to be reading material for grown women. The photos on the cover are never that racy.
Selena is clearly trying to market herself to an older audience, but it might backfire on her. I don't see anything wrong with the photos though. She's 19 years old.

epicamends

Parents need to stop expecting celebrities to raise their children. It's not their job to teach your child values and morals, and it's not their job to censor themselves to be a perfect little role model. It's their job to entertain. I think too much is expected of young celebrities today - especially females.

The photos are not even that racy. They're actually pretty conservative considering what magazine this is for.

carebearcarrie

Parents need to stop expecting celebrities to raise their children. It's not their job to teach your child values and morals, and it's not their job to censor themselves to be a perfect little role model. It's their job to entertain. I think too much is expected of young celebrities today - especially females.

The photos are not even that racy. They're actually pretty conservative considering what magazine this is for.

Agree. She is 19 and its not her job to teach children. The photos are not even racy. Let her live a little. She not always gonna be a disney girl.

JB172

First of all the cover photo isn't what I would call racy and secondly I am pretty sure that they are not to many children who read Cosmo.

As Jessica said people need to raise their own kids and not have celebs do it.

Carrieflattsfan

Wow, a little cleavage! Let's ban the magazine!:p. Some parents are completely ridiculous when it comes to expecting celebrities to raise their children while shielding them from everything. I agree with you guys; Selena is 19 years old, and she shouldn't be treated like a child. She's also gone through her own battles and handled them with class, but these parents don't care about the positive aspects.

I can see how a lot of parents may feel this magazine is NOT appropriate for young girls in Selena's target audience, and how they might believe she is sending a negative/mixed message, BUT that doesn't mean they should be making such a big deal about it. There are plenty of other issues parents and kids have to worry about, which they would see if they weren't busying pinning the blame on celebrities. :rolleyes:

pklongbeach

I agree with y'all.
She is an adult. she is looking to create an adult career for herself. There is no problem there. Besides, there is nothing dirty about the human body anyway. Hiding it is more dangerous.
"BUT" if you are selling a product to kids (and Selena has been a product for kids for a while now) than I think they have a certain moral obligation not to confuse the costomer base that they are attracting in order to make money.
But again, Selena is an adult. And it is time for her to make adult decisions.
and Cosmo is not intended to be sold to kids.
So I see no problem with it at all.
Though I admit when I saw the one with her legs open it did cause a knee-jerk response.
I certainly would not want my neice looking like that on a national magazine cover.

bigbluegrl23

**** all the parents who would keep her from this magazine. she's too damn hot to be hidden :p haha. if I looked like her, I would NOT be dating justin beiber. but hey, its done wonders for her career ;)
Becca

pklongbeach

Beibers days are numbered with Selena.
He better get what he can cause she's gonna wake up, soon and very soon.