Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SNF 'Game On' Lawsuit

CU4ever

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but my day was just ruined by seeing this. -_-

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1141399709787066368

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carrie Underwood is accused of being a "Sunday Night Football" theme song-stealer -- another singer claims Carrie straight jacked her hit, "Game On" ... and used it without permission. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The woman behind the suit is Heidi Merrill -- a singer who had success with the sports-themed song "Cornhusker Strong" back in 2015. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Merrill says she wanted to ride the wave and make more sports-themed music so she came up with the song, "Game On," in 2016 and posted it to YouTube in March 2017. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In her suit, Merrill says she met Carrie Underwood's producer, Mark Bright, at an event in Nashville in August 2017 and asked if Carrie would be looking to create a new song for the 2018 NFL "Sunday Night Football" show open. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Merrill says she submitted the song to Bright -- but was eventually told Carrie's camp passed on using "Game On."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fast forward to Sept. 2018 ... Merrill says she was shocked to see Underwood and NBC promoting a secret new theme song for 'SNF' ... which ended up being called, "Game On."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Merrill says Carrie's version is "substantially -- even strikingly -- similar, if not identical" to her own song ... and she's pissed![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She's now suing Carrie, Mark Bright, NBC, the NFL and more for copyright infringement -- but she has not listed an amount she's looking for. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We reached out to Carrie's camp for comment -- so far, no word back. No comment from the NFL either. [/FONT]

CU4ever

To me, they both only use the same title. People can have songs in the same vein and about the same thing, that doesn't make it a copy. *eyeroll*

DaisyTweets

And hasn't it been awhile since Mark Bright was her producer? All this is is someone trying to get their name in the news!!!!

jaymiee

Yup sounds like this chick just wants to get her name out there. The only thing similiar is the title which sorry to break it to ya lady...you didnt make up the phrase "Game on"

NEXT.

CU4ever

Yup sounds like this chick just wants to get her name out there. The only thing similiar is the title which sorry to break it to ya lady...you didnt make up the phrase "Game on"

NEXT.

EXACTLY! Literally the only similar thing is the name! Lots of songs can be about the same thing, and use a phrase. She just wants her name out there. And by her logic, I guess every new Christmas song is a ripoff, since you know, they're all about the same holiday.

maddkat

Staff member
why worry ? just another frivolous lawsuit. Just like the one against SITW and Remind Me.
People do this all the time in hopes of scoring some money.

AdamJ

One of the nurses read about this on line and showed me the article. Bullcrap-----The songs are nothing alike except the title. Sounds like this girl is a singer/writer wantabe and is suing Carrie to get her name out there and draw attention and hits on her songs. I hope she knows that she will probably never make it in country music now, lose the suit and pay a lot of money to an attorney. Some people will go to any lengths to get attention. The girls at the hospital said "of all the people to sue---Carrie is the least likely because she is so honest and if she wanted the song she would have paid for it". Definitely not steal it. Carrie has penned a lot of the lyrics in her songs but gives the other songwriters credit also.

sco

Oh^^ someone on twitter said it was

Yeah I saw that but Twitter it highly unreliable. Donna is right the SITW suit was from different people. I’m not sure if that was dismissed or is still winding through the courts. Both suits hinge on the same thing, that Mark Bright was pitched a song which Carrie later came out with a song on the same name. There’s no evidence that Carrie ever heard either song. To me both cases are pretty flimsy since the only similarity is the title which are both based on commonly used phrases. It’s par for the course in songwriting. That’s why they have lawyers on retainer.

The Gunslinger

The SITW suit was dismissed... Just like this one will be... It’s a desperate move designed to get a quick settlement... The only winners are the Lawyers on both sides..

jaymiee

Did Mark Bright produce all her albums before Cry Pretty? Or just Some Hearts? Maybe he is a bad guy and that's why Carrie didnt want to work with him anymore..?