Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Songwriting advice.

carebear4eva

Hey, I wanted a little advice actually....I've been trying my hand at song-writing recently, and I really like it....I dunno if I'm any good though....do you guys have any, ANY advice as to how to go about it.....ANYTHING WILL HELP!

m.chill99

I don't write songs, but I do write parodies! But how about you write something that relates to you? Hmmm the possibilities:p

CarrieFan928

I've been writing songs for about two and a half years now. I usually write whenever I want to tell someone something but can't say it to them or have a problem I can't tell anyone. I try to make the songs as honest as possible so if someone would see it they knew exactly what happened and how I feel. IMO, the best songs written are when you are actually feeling the emotion. At that time, the words just come out of me naturally. It sounds more true than me looking back two weeks from that moment and trying to remember what I felt.

If you're writing about unreal situations, just wait around until a line comes into your head. Don't try to force yourself because it often feels unnatural that way. If you start off strong but end up finishing weak, leave and don't come back to the song until you find a line you are proud of.

As for titles, pay attention to TV or everyday language. That's how a lot of songs get their names (and once again) don't sound forced. Before he Cheats, What Can I Say, Someday When I Stop Loving You, I Told You So, Just a Dream are all things you'd hear on TV when people speak.

Good luck! :)

carebear4eva

Thank you so much for advice. Will try it out.

Another problem for me is that I don't have any technical knowledge of music. So I really don't know how to write the music to a song....A friend of mine does know that stuff, and he's a terrific singer, so we're kinda collaborating....the first song should be up soon, i'll post a link here :)