Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Southbound' chart updates

rcramer

Oh well on with the next single..... Hoping Low or DA.......

Congrats on her Mediabase #1 and now her 27th.....

gagacasanova

I just don't understand why they only push for Mediabase. Wouldn't you want to attempt a twofer and go for a Billboard #1 as well?

maddkat

Staff member
^ look at WUSN's ( #3 station)spins over the last week - they were never going to get on board to help SB on Billboard. Never. Nothing the label did was going to change their mind. They've been like this with every Carrie single over the past 8 years.

look at that AI difference!
SB 57 spins/.2834 AIs
PFY 92 spins/1.7017 AIs

Same thing at KSCS( #5) in Dallas:

SB 44/.5864
PFY 68/.9892

Houston (#6)
SB 35/.4049
PFY 65/.8076

I could go on, but you see the large stations just weren't going to put SB in highest rotation

I’m extremely thankful the label was able to push a summer song to #1 this late in the year!!! It’s a great accomplishment for OUR GIRL!! This song was a fun song that was perfect for summertime radio!! Obviously there are classics waiting to be released! DRINKING ALONE Or LOW would be GREAT SINGLES!! CHEERS

pkc4rls

It just sounds like radio didn’t want to push SB anyway but her label had enough power to get them to push it enough to get a #1 on mediabase. We have seen this many times once a female artist gets to the age Carrie is, which is sad. It seems to not be a detriment to male artists, which infuriates me.

pkc4rls

SB was the type song radio seems to be willing to play from Carrie so that makes me wonder if any other songs on the album that are left will do well enough as singles to get a #1.

It just sounds like radio didn’t want to push SB anyway but her label had enough power to get them to push it enough to get a #1 on mediabase. We have seen this many times once a female artist gets to the age Carrie is, which is sad. It seems to not be a detriment to male artists, which infuriates me.

Hi Pam... I agree with you but this Mediabase #1 is a step in the right direction for OUR GIRL and The great Woman of Country music.. If anyone can break the cycle of BRO COUNTRY and Male Dominance in Country Music it’s CARRIE UNDERWOOD!! That’s what the incredible Magic Trio of hosts for the CMA’s are all about!!

pkc4rls

СнцскеяшᏍd;4793732 said:
Hi Pam... I agree with you but this Mediabase #1 is a step in the right direction for OUR GIRL and The great Woman of Country music.. If anyone can break the cycle of BRO COUNTRY and Male Dominance in Country Music it’s CARRIE UNDERWOOD!! That’s what the incredible Magic Trio of hosts for the CMA’s are all about!!

I don’t know because I don’t see any sign that is changing. I think with Carrie it is more then just the issue they don’t want to play women. Her age is an issue for female artists in this industry. It has happened to each of the women before her once they get to a certain age - Reba, Martina etc etc. Radio seems to have this built-in prejudice against women once they hit a certain age grrrrr. I hope you are right and Carrie changes all that but I am skeptical sadly. I need to be optimistic like you lol so am stopping with the doom and gloom.

Happy Carrie got her #1 on mediabase.

rcramer

I don’t know because I don’t see any sign that is changing. I think with Carrie it is more then just the issue they don’t want to play women. Her age is an issue for female artists in this industry. It has happened to each of the women before her once they get to a certain age - Reba, Martina etc etc. Radio seems to have this built-in prejudice against women once they hit a certain age grrrrr. I hope you are right and Carrie changes all that but I am skeptical sadly. I need to be optimistic like you lol so am stopping with the doom and gloom.

Happy Carrie got her #1 on mediabase.

So so true and sad..... Even Reba who released a new CD this year has better music on it than any male that has reached number#1 with their garbage...... Gladly for me, i listen to CD's like her's than having to resort to Radio......

Countryfan2448

• [h=1]Carrie Underwood Takes #1 Spot With 'Southbound'[/h] [h=6]October 7, 2019 at 8:30 AM (PT)[/h] Be the first to comment!
  • Carrie Underwood (Photo: Getty Images)
    Congratulations to Capitol Nashville's CARRIE UNDERWOOD on taking the #1 spot on the MEDIABASE Country singles chart this week with her current hit single, "Southbound."

Kudos to UMG NASHVILLE EVP/Promotion ROYCE RISSER and VP/Promotion DAVID FRIEDMAN; CAPITOL NASHVILLE VP/Promotion BOBBY YOUNG; UMG VP/Promotion & Radio Marketing CHRIS SCHULER, Dir./Radio Marketing DONNA HUGHES, and Dir./Promotion & Artist Engagement CHRIS FABIANI; CAPITOL NASHVILLE Dir./SOUTHEAST ASHLEY LAWS, Dir./WEST COAST MEGAN YOUNGBLOOD, Dir./SOUTHWEST MARA SIDWEBER, Dir./MIDWEST BRENT JONES, Dir./NORTHEAST ANNIE SANDOR and Coord./Promotion KATELYN LESTER.

ALL ACCESS delivered sweet treats to the CAPITOL NASHVILLE staff today (10/7) to celebrate their success.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...carrie-underwood-takes-1-spot-with-southbound

Last edited:

teesharky

WUSN and some of the larger stations really have a problem with Carrie. This started with Sony so it’s not a UMG issue. They just stopped giving Carrie billboard number 1s when she was on Sony abd it spilled over into the umg era. Not sure what their issue is with Carrie- but it’s clearly personal. They gave keksea and Maren billboard number ones for mediocre songs but not Carrie.

Smokyiiis

СнцскеяшᏍd;4793729 said:
I’m extremely thankful the label was able to push a summer song to #1 this late in the year!!! It’s a great accomplishment for OUR GIRL!! This song was a fun song that was perfect for summertime radio!! Obviously there are classics waiting to be released! DRINKING ALONE Or LOW would be GREAT SINGLES!! CHEERS

School's been back and ongoing for over a month in some areas and they usually stop the summer songs then. I was afraid they'd waited to long but so many had two weeks and more in the number one position and radio is quite clearly biased.
I listen to satellite radio now and completely ignore the local radio stations. When I'm in my hubby's vehicle he has it on radio and driving for an hour your lucky to hear one woman, and EXTREMELY lucky if you hear two.

CU4ever

It may be disappointing we didn’t get number one on billboard, but this is still a major accomplishment and exciting time! It seemed like when Southbound first came out, radio loved it. It was doing super well, huge gains. Then the callout scores came out and it started slowing down, so it seems like that’s what radio bases their playlists off (it’s in the top highest on the chart surrounded by songs that will not come close to number one) .I think this was really the best UMG could do as SB has lower peak spins and audience than any number one or two on either chart in all of 2019. So considering that, this is a pretty good accomplishment for UMG/Carrie:

PRGuy79

I have forgotten...Do songs that receive Mediabase #1 (only) get a #1 Party from the label and industry for the songwriters and artist?

CU4ever

Southbound peaked at 3 on billboard. (You can find this from the billboard page with all of her single peaks)