Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southbound Music Video

FanSince04

I created this thread for those of us wishing to discuss the number of views, and other details about the video!

Btw, it’s #2 on iTunes!

Smokyiiis

I think it’s a wonderful combination of summer fun, family time, tourmate interaction and band member participation! Altogether a fun mashup!

I do do however hope that with the next single from this incredible album we get a full on story video with fantastic production

maddkat

Staff member
Do we know who pays for the production of a music video? Is it the label?

from this article - https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8467395/how-music-videos-get-made-and-make-money

"Typically, labels front the money for music video production. “They are the beneficiaries of the royalties that come from those videos, so it’s their obligation to pay for them,” Gershen says."

on costs
"While it's possible to do a microbudget video armed only with creativity and a camera phone, the videos McColgan has worked on recently had budgets ranging from $80,000 to north of $500,000. “When I was green, some of my videos were in the $30,000 to $60,000 range. For household name artists, $100,000 to $125,000 is pretty average. But they might spend $300,000 or $400,000 on the first video from an album, and then save money on the follow-ups. Our budgets don’t include the artists’ glam teams and transportation costs, because that can double the cost: the stylist can be $50,000. And the worldwide superstars like Beyoncé and Katy Perry are easily spending a million-plus.” (Those numbers gibe with what other industry sources report.)"

“With relatively few exceptions, a video’s impact is fleeting,” Spierer says. “It’s hard to look back and justify overspending.”

FanSince04

I love that article. I believe it could put a rest to many different conversation happening here about the worth of a music video.

I, for one, love how the views are steady! I hope people keep watching and enjoying. There’s so much in the video that it’s fun to rewatch and catch everything. My wife loved that she included her husband and son!

adam1995

from this article - https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8467395/how-music-videos-get-made-and-make-money

"Typically, labels front the money for music video production. “They are the beneficiaries of the royalties that come from those videos, so it’s their obligation to pay for them,” Gershen says."

on costs
"While it's possible to do a microbudget video armed only with creativity and a camera phone, the videos McColgan has worked on recently had budgets ranging from $80,000 to north of $500,000. “When I was green, some of my videos were in the $30,000 to $60,000 range. For household name artists, $100,000 to $125,000 is pretty average. But they might spend $300,000 or $400,000 on the first video from an album, and then save money on the follow-ups. Our budgets don’t include the artists’ glam teams and transportation costs, because that can double the cost: the stylist can be $50,000. And the worldwide superstars like Beyoncé and Katy Perry are easily spending a million-plus.” (Those numbers gibe with what other industry sources report.)"

“With relatively few exceptions, a video’s impact is fleeting,” Spierer says. “It’s hard to look back and justify overspending.”

I disagree with this last part. When a video is re-watchable, it keeps the artist in the spotlight longer while the song runs it's course. It increases streams, which can add to the songs impact/sales, as well as album sales/impact. When no one watches a video for a single it can hurt the single itself, as it won't be remembered as well as one with strong visuals. Look at all the terrible songs out there with highly produced videos, the videos are making people watch and increasing the popularity of the song, to suggest it wouldn't seems ridiculous.

This isn't a commentary on this video, just my opinion on what a music video can do.

Nicole885

I love the video for Southbound! It showcases a personal side of Carrie’s life that we don’t see often.

Smokyiiis

Question: which one of the girls is the one going into the water at the end? She does a kind of somersault in the air first.

pkc4rls

on costs

With relatively few exceptions, a video’s impact is fleeting,” Spierer says. “It’s hard to look back and justify overspending.”

Thanks because I think that tells me all I need to know. They probably just don’t think it does anything significant to spend an excess of money for a video that probably has little affection how the song does.

pkc4rls

I disagree with this last part. When a video is re-watchable, it keeps the artist in the spotlight longer while the song runs it's course. It increases streams, which can add to the songs impact/sales, as well as album sales/impact. When no one watches a video for a single it can hurt the single itself, as it won't be remembered as well as one with strong visuals. Look at all the terrible songs out there with highly produced videos, the videos are making people watch and increasing the popularity of the song, to suggest it wouldn't seems ridiculous.

This isn't a commentary on this video, just my opinion on what a music video can do.

But honestly unless you have any stats showing this I don’t think we can really prove a video is of much benefit. It may be for you but then for me I do not look at anyone’s videos accept Carrie period. I listen to the music but never watch videos ever. We can’t just say the article isn’t true unless we have concrete stats. This person probably has some knowledge of it. Aren't you just basing your comments on opinion and how you feel? I certainly have zero knowledge of whether it is true or not so I figure you can’t really either lol unless maybe you are in the business and do know. If so, I apologize. Maybe they don’t know either but it sounds like they are in a position to know possibly.