Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storyteller Album and Tracks

bubbasumner

Sony should take a chance with CCA since it's an awesome fun song. I mean they did get Chris Young's Sober Saturday Night into the top ten and it's still climbing I believe and it is a pretty boring song. I'm hoping they are just waiting for The Fighter to move up the charts so that they have space between them. (Wishful thinking)

HuiZ

By "diminishing" I meant diminish them as singles, as in trying to deny the fact that they were singles. Just that.

Yes, they arose from a different set of circumstances, due to that point in Carrie's career. I know all that.
But still... They were singles. LMAO And there's nothing people who don't accept them can do. Some Hearts had 6 singles. End of story.
I think you missed the point that Farawayhills was trying to make. Yes, SH had 6 singles, but because two of those singles were released under special circumstances, it's hard to compare SH situation with her other albums. Her other album eras didn't need a coronation single just to tide fans over or a pop single as backup. They were one-offs.
Apples and oranges.

Last edited:

DazzledByCarrie

Ahhh, good point.Everyone can stop wanting a 5th single as we've already had one.Case closed

Oh I wasn't saying that to shut down discussion of wanting a 5th single. I definitely still want one. I was just saying that if we are counting everything that was technically a single and appeared on the Some Hearts album, then technically Chaser was a single from this one too. Although, apparently Chaser isn't as official as I was under the impression it was.

Farawayhills

It was an official release. Carrie referred to it as such; Sony shortened it, by reducing the intro and one of the later instrumental passage (although, in my opinion, those were pretty integral to the track); and the BBC added it to their radio playlist, from which DJs and producers select songs to put on air, in joint consultation. In any time frame, Radio 2 have playlists of varying importance - unfortunately, "Chaser" wasn't put on the A List, which probably reduced its chances of getting much general music rotation. As far as I know, it didn't attract much attention.

Carrie (like other Country artists) is mainly seen here as an album artist., and singles have nothing like the heavy promotion they still receive in the US. "Storyteller" did well, reaching no 1 in Country Albums and no 13 on the General Album chart. (It was also nominated for International Album of the Year at the BCMA, along with "Smoke Break" for International Song - but lost out to Chris Stapleton)

As far as I know, her only single to feature in the Official UK charts was "I Know You Won't" which reached no 94 in the top 100 in October 2014. (I don't know if anyone wants to consider that as a 6th single, as it was well after the Carnival Ride era in the US. )
Carrie Underwood | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company
SH and CR were belatedly released together in this country, as Carrie became better known. "I Know You Won't" was released as a single even later, by RCA - another label within the Sony stable - presumably to coincide with publicity Carrie was getting.

Apologies to those who disagree - but, in my opinion "I Know You Won't" was, by several orders of magnitude, a superior song to LN or AAG. It was one of three standout songs on CR co-written by British songwriter Steve McEwen, along with JAD and GOTT - (he also contributed one that didn't quite match those three, TMBIM - but we'll let him have that one. The song suits Carrie's feisty delivery, and as lighter fun songs go, I still prefer it to the two that were singles - just not by several orders of magnitude)

Last edited:

teesharky

^ I remember all of Hollywood in awe of Carrie when she performed IKYW at the People's Choice awards-- including Robin Williams. It was a wasted moment for them not to release that song to radio.

lizcarlo

Love IKYW. Amazing thing is all it took was for Carrie to perform it on award show for the song to take off and other people started to cover it. It was also covered by R&B singer Kris Thomas for his first single (it was posted here).

Sorry if this has been posted. A writer for Dangerous Women by Ariana Grande wanted Carrie to cut the song originally.

Last edited:

gocountrymusic

It was an official release. Carrie referred to it as such; Sony shortened it, by reducing the intro and one of the later instrumental passage (although, in my opinion, those were pretty integral to the track); and the BBC added it to their radio playlist, from which DJs and producers select songs to put on air, in joint consultation. In any time frame, Radio 2 have playlists of varying importance - unfortunately, "Chaser" wasn't put on the A List, which probably reduced its chances of getting much general music rotation. As far as I know, it didn't attract much attention.

Carrie (like other Country artists) is mainly seen here as an album artist., and singles have nothing like the heavy promotion they still receive in the US. "Storyteller" did well, reaching no 1 in Country Albums and no 13 on the General Album chart. (It was also nominated for International Album of the Year at the BCMA, along with "Smoke Break" for International Song - but lost out to Chris Stapleton)

As far as I know, her only single to feature in the Official UK charts was "I Know You Won't" which reached no 94 in the top 100 in October 2014. (I don't know if anyone wants to consider that as a 6th single, as it was well after the Carnival Ride era in the US. )
Carrie Underwood | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company
SH and CR were belatedly released together in this country, as Carrie became better known. "I Know You Won't" was released as a single even later, by RCA - another label within the Sony stable - presumably to coincide with publicity Carrie was getting.

Apologies to those who disagree - but, in my opinion "I Know You Won't" was, by several orders of magnitude, a superior song to LN or AAG. It was one of three standout songs on CR co-written by British songwriter Steve McEwen, along with JAD and GOTT - (he also contributed one that didn't quite match those three, TMBIM - but we'll let him have that one. The song suits Carrie's feisty delivery, and as lighter fun songs go, I still prefer it to the two that were singles - just not by several orders of magnitude)

Just a side note to what you said but I have loved what Steve McEwan has done with Carrie. Besides the three you mentioned, he also was a writer for While We're Young and Beautiful, What Can I Say and Someday When I Stop Loving. I really hope Carrie works with him because has created some great moments for her so far.

maddkat

Staff member
^ I remember all of Hollywood in awe of Carrie when she performed IKYW at the People's Choice awards-- including Robin Williams. It was a wasted moment for them not to release that song to radio.

the problem with IKYW being a single was the recorded version is a hot mess.Live it shines and if they had re recorded it it might have worked,although it might be a bit much for radio.

on a related note I hope Carrie doesn't work with Bright at all on the next cd.His production as a rule is so over done.Just my opinion.

PRGuy79

the problem with IKYW being a single was the recorded version is a hot mess.Live it shines and if they had re recorded it it might have worked,although it might be a bit much for radio.

on a related note I hope Carrie doesn't work with Bright at all on the next cd.His production as a rule is so over done.Just my opinion.

I respect your opinion, but I do think that the criticism of Mark Bright is overdone on this site. It is important to note that the most successful single from Storyteller is "Church Bells", the only single produced by Mark this era. His record of success with Carrie is indisputable and unprecedented in music.

DazzledByCarrie

I'll second that opinion about Bright. He makes a wall of sound almost every time and sometimes it works and sometimes it's just too much. I like that she played around with multiple producers this time, even if it can affect the cohesiveness of the album.

maddkat

Staff member
I respect your opinion, but I do think that the criticism of Mark Bright is overdone on this site. It is important to note that the most successful single from Storyteller is "Church Bells", the only single produced by Mark this era. His record of success with Carrie is indisputable and unprecedented in music.
The only single but Mark produced CDS,TGYTIA ,Mexico, WINK & LGDGUTF.All a little ott for me( well maybe not Mexico,the production was all it had going for it)

Carrie has a record of success,I'd say in spite of Bright's production for the most part.
I'd love to see her move on from him and try more new producers.

simonplay

I like Mike Bright, I mean he create the "Carrie sound" and Im sure the big production in the songs is a Carrie decision too, Im sure she loves it!
And I can live with Carrie not working with Jay Joyce anymore! Not impressed with his work with Carrie at all.
I would like if Carrie work with Dann Huff again, I love his work in Some Hearts and the production in Billy Currington's albums too!

CarrieAddicted

Mark Bright made Carrie Underwood.

If she has all what she has now is because of her talent and Mark Bright.

She obviously should try new producers, but completely desert Bright? I don't think so.

CarrieAddicted

I like Mike Bright, I mean he create the "Carrie sound" and Im sure the big production in the songs is a Carrie decision too, Im sure she loves it!
And I can live with Carrie not working with Jay Joyce anymore! Not impressed with his work with Carrie at all.
I would like if Carrie work with Dann Huff again, I love his work in Some Hearts and the production in Billy Currington's albums too!

Man, that's the ultimate truth. If there is anything Carrie loves about music is big production. She just adores high-energy songs and arena rock/pop. She's stated that countless times. She just adores getting to perform huge bangers on stage, songs that dares her.

LMAO, before getting on stage at last year's ACMs to perform Church Bells, girl said she "truly missed" that kind of song to perform.

Girl has George Michael, a Pop rock legend, as her ultimate influence. That right there tells you what she truly loves to sing.

teesharky

Yeah I think people need to get over the fact that she will never do a low key acoustic Miranda type album where all the songs kind of sound on the same level of tone etc. Maybe the critics will never love her albums in quite the same way they seem to adore low production monotone albums- but at least Carrie's albums are interesting and unpredictable.

rcramer

Well IMO IKYW is still one of my all time favorite songs from Carrie....... Over the top not at all, spot on vocals and powerful vocals, oh yeah....... I wish it would have been a single........

I am all about the big voice, so any ballad with powerful vocals bring it on........ IKYW made every hair on my body stand up........ Amazing......

rcramer

Tee - I don't understand critics when it comes to Carrie, but oh well..... I guess they just love Miranda, but for me I cant buy a whole CD of hers because only one or two songs I like...... And it seems the more traditional sounding the album is, it scores high with these folks....... I agree that Carrie should and needs to incorporate more traditional songs in her albums to appeal more to these critics....... I was hoping CCA would have had the chance to be released to radio.... Sony screwed her there.....

liz278

I know a lot of you love the big ballads, then you want her to be Martina McBride #2. We all love her ballads, but I want her to be known for more than that and I think ST did that for her. Plus I don't want her voice to disappear like Martina's seems to be doing.

I am really sad that CCA didn't get released as a single. I think it is a huge missed opportunity to show another side to Carrie

gocountrymusic

I would love her to keep experimenting with other producers, maybe some not as known as Jay Joyce also. I hope there are always a couple Mark Bright tracks too. I'd also love her to experiment with different writers. She did a little bit with CCA, Relapse and Mexico. I know people are hesitant for Carrie to try new sounds, but I do think that will continue to help her grow as an artist. And different isn't always bad.

Last edited: