Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storyteller Top 3/Bottom 3

melvinc

Top 3
Dirty Laundry
Church Bells
Choctaw County Affairs

Bottom 3
Like I'll Never Love you Again
Chaser
Mexico

Farawayhills

At least Carrie didn't write CDS ;)

I think Blair Daly is mainly responsible for the unusual structure of "Clock Don't Stop". He also co-wrote Maddie & Tae's "Your Side of Town", and Little Big Town's "Pain Killer" - those are also musically experimental songs, with off-genre influence, lyrics suggesting the character is thinking in scattered snatches, with considerable use of repetition ("Pain Killer" also uses the stuttered vowel effect).

maddkat

Staff member
I think Blair Daly is mainly responsible for the unusual structure of "Clock Don't Stop". He also co-wrote Maddie & Tae's "Your Side of Town", and Little Big Town's "Pain Killer" - those are also musically experimental songs, with off-genre influence, lyrics suggesting the character is thinking in scattered snatches, with considerable use of repetition ("Pain Killer" also uses the stuttered vowel effect).
for me the structure is not the problem.I like it.A lot. It's the more then terrible

bang,bang on a drum
you're not a setting sun

gets my vote for most inane lyric in a Carrie song

Claire2004

for me the structure is not the problem.I like it.A lot. It's the more then terrible

bang,bang on a drum
you're not a setting sun

gets my vote for most inane lyric in a Carrie song

Yup. That lyric there dethroned "you stole my happy" as the most cringe-worthy lyric in a Carrie song for me. Lol

Daveunder

Let's see..hmm..

Top:
1.Choctaw County Affair
2.Dirty Laundry
=Church Bells (Can't choose between these two!)

Bottom:
Clock Don't Stop
The Girl You Think I Am
What I Never Knew I Always Wanted

Nonetheless I love every single song on Storyteller.. This album is a beast!!!!!

carriethequeen

Storyteller replaced CR as my favorite album from Carrie, it is seriously her best! (That's why I paid $20 for a Storyteller ornament to be on my Christmas tree for years to come! lol)
That being said, I can't even come up with a top 3/bottom 3 but I can say my favorites out of the bunch are RR, DL, CB and Chaser!

Gator

I seriously cannot participate in this poll. I love the entire album and my faves can vary each day.

tgbrinker

^^

That poll was so easy - 'Bang Bang on the drum, you're not a setting sun" is quite 'cringe-worthy'

The other two are totally fine to me. I'm surprised 'You stole my happy' has more cringe-votes than 'He is good, so good'.

Zman312

TOP 3:

1. Choctaw Country Affair (I love this song; it’s perfect when driving and it’s so SASSY. It just grabs your attention. I always vision Carrie killing it at the Grammys and then sellinging millions of copies of CCA. Lol, I am such a dreamer.)
  2. Church Bell (another great vocal and is awesome. I vision am epic video where Reba (Fancy (as her mom) is broke and passes the torch to Jenny (Carrie) to find a rich man. Then Fancy tells her to kill him bc he is abusive. )
  3. Chaser (love the vibe of the song. The pause before the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] verse still bothers me but overall it a great new sound. )

Honorable mention: Heartbeat, Smoke Break, The Girl You Think I Am, Dirty Laundry, Like I Will Never Love You Again (Little Girls Don’t Grow Up To Fast)
I like Mexico bc of the way she says the Spanish words but it reminds me too much of Something Bad. It’s seems like the story is incomplete. I only listen to it bc vocally the song is awesome.
BOTTOM 3:

1. Clock Don’t Stop (My least favorite song in this album. I heard it abt 5-6 times. I don’t understand the lyrics and don’t care t to listen to it again... lol)
  2. Renegade Runaway (This is a good song but it doesn’t do much for me. I think it’s a little too loud and it’s not relatable. However, I love the runaway, runaway part…this may grow on me but I am more into the other songs)
  3. What I Never Knew I Wanted (only bc I don’t listen to the song as much as I get home by the middle part of Mexico…lol)
Relapse has grown on me a lot. I initially use to skip that song too.
I waited for a while bc I tend to be a hard critic on my first few listens. Overall, it’s a great album. I love power ballads and want Carrie to do one on the next album.

kiwicountry

Mine is based on what songs I listen to the most and what I listen to the least. I really love this album and think that all the songs are great.

Top 3:

1. Like I'll Never Love You Again
2. Relapse
3. Heartbeat

Bottom 3:

1. The Girl You Think I Am
2. What I Never Knew I Always Wanted
3. Smoke Break

AIgrl06

This whole thread is so upsetting to me, lmao.

Top 3:
1.Dirty Laundry
2.Relapse
3.Clock Don't Stop
Honorable Mention: Church Bells

Bottom 3:
1.What I Never Knew I Always Wanted
2.The Girl You Think I Am
3.Renegade Runaway
Honorable Mention: Smoke Break

kiwicountry

This whole thread is so upsetting to me, lmao.

Top 3:
1.Dirty Laundry
2.Relapse
3.Clock Don't Stop
Honorable Mention: Church Bells

Bottom 3:
1.What I Never Knew I Always Wanted
2.The Girl You Think I Am
3.Renegade Runaway
Honorable Mention: Smoke Break

Why is it upsetting to you?

keepplayingon2

TOP 3:

1. Choctaw Country Affair (I love this song; it’s perfect when driving and it’s so SASSY. It just grabs your attention. I always vision Carrie killing it at the Grammys and then sellinging millions of copies of CCA. Lol, I am such a dreamer.)
  2. Church Bell (another great vocal and is awesome. I vision am epic video where Reba (Fancy (as her mom) is broke and passes the torch to Jenny (Carrie) to find a rich man. Then Fancy tells her to kill him bc he is abusive. )
  3. Chaser (love the vibe of the song. The pause before the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] verse still bothers me but overall it a great new sound. )

Honorable mention: Heartbeat, Smoke Break, The Girl You Think I Am, Dirty Laundry, Like I Will Never Love You Again (Little Girls Don’t Grow Up To Fast)
I like Mexico bc of the way she says the Spanish words but it reminds me too much of Something Bad. It’s seems like the story is incomplete. I only listen to it bc vocally the song is awesome.
BOTTOM 3:

1. Clock Don’t Stop (My least favorite song in this album. I heard it abt 5-6 times. I don’t understand the lyrics and don’t care t to listen to it again... lol)
  2. Renegade Runaway (This is a good song but it doesn’t do much for me. I think it’s a little too loud and it’s not relatable. However, I love the runaway, runaway part…this may grow on me but I am more into the other songs)
  3. What I Never Knew I Wanted (only bc I don’t listen to the song as much as I get home by the middle part of Mexico…lol)
Relapse has grown on me a lot. I initially use to skip that song too.
I waited for a while bc I tend to be a hard critic on my first few listens. Overall, it’s a great album. I love power ballads and want Carrie to do one on the next album.

I think the general message of Clock Don't Stop is insiparational, kinda like Play On. "Never give up, keepn on going," those kind of things. Unfortunately though, the lyrics are messy.

kiwicountry

^Just the general attitude towards Clock Don't Stop. I love the song, haha.

Well this may cheer you up, my dad likes CDS and he's super critical of most modern music - like super critical. Out of all of the songs on the album that was def not one I picked him liking. Also I like it, I think the lyrics are just a cleaver play on words and that's not easy to do in a song.

One of the first ever Brad Paisley songs I heard was called Ticks, I had to check that I was getting it right cause I just couldn't believe someone would put that in a song. 'And I'd like to check you for ticks' what the??? But then that's country music isn't? It always had a sense of humor which is why I love Maddie and Tae cause I feel like they are bringing the humor back.

I feel like that's one of the things that country music has lost recently (like the last couple of years), that humor. Like look back on Carrie's albums you had songs like "Songs Like This", "More Boys I Meet" and "Cupid's Got a Shotgun". I don't feel that Storyteller has one of those cause CCA isn't really similar like its more bluesy and serious compared to those other songs.

I love Luke Bryan's "That's My Kind of Night" cause it's just funny and has such silly words but its country music.

It just feels like it's all gotten more serious and perhaps the genre could do with some lightheartedness and songs like "Goodbye Earl" nature or just silly funny things that are sung to an awesome up tempo beat that make you want to get up and dance.

Wow this was supposed to be a simple post then got way out of hand - sorry