Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Greatest, Part 3: Top 50 of the '50s

twaintrain

It took forever but I've finally finished watching the movies that are widely considered 'the greatest' of the 1950s. I used information from the American Film Institute, IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. to pick what movies I watched. This list is a mix of what I consider the best made movies and personal favorites.

Narrowing down the top 12 was extremely hard and, honestly, I change my mind every time I look at it. But this is what I'm sticking with! lol

If you want to discuss any movies on this or other movies in the 1950s, feel free to discuss it here. Let me know what your favorites are.

12 Angry Men

Rear Window

North by Northwest

The Searchers

Singin' in the Rain

High Noon

Harvey

All About Eve

Some Like It Hot

Vertigo

Ben-Hur

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Sunset Blvd.

Anatomy of a Murder

Dial M for Murder

Shane

Sabrina

Witness for the Prosecution

Roman Holiday

A Star Is Born

The Ten Commandments

Rebel Without a Cause

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Strangers on a Train

Rio Bravo

On the Waterfront

The Narrow Margin

The Nun's Story

The African Queen

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Elevator to the Gallows

Marty

The Quiet Man

A Place in the Sun

East of Eden

From Here to Eternity

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

White Christmas

An Affair to Remember

Cinderella

Old Yeller

Lady and the Tramp

The Seven Year Itch

The Caine Mutiny

Giant

An American in Paris

Pillow Talk

Born Yesterday

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Band Wagon

lizcarlo

From this list I like these the most. As you can see I really like a lot :)

The Quiet Man
Harvey
Singing In The Rain
Marty
A Streetcar Named Desire
Strangers on a Train
The Band Wagon
North By Northwest
White Christmas
Pillow Talk
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Anatomy of a Murder
Dial M for Murder
Sunset Blvd.
Ben-Hur
On The Waterfront
The 10 Commandments
Some Like It Hot
All About Eve

lizcarlo

Father of the Bride 1950 is good version if you like classics. Also like Summer Stock. One of my favorite dancing scenes in the movie.

Gene Kelly and Judy Garland was so talented.

twaintrain

^I agree. Of course, I love Judy Garland from "The Wizard of Oz" (1939) but discovered Gene Kelly through his fifties' movies. My favorite of his performances is in "Singin' In The Rain". It's definitely my favorite musical (aside from "The Wizard Of Oz") from classic Hollywood.

My favorite old Hollywood actor and actress are James Stewart and Audrey Hepburn. That can probably be seen from my list. My absolute favorite performance of the whole decade was James Stewart in "Harvey". I could not believe such an off-the-wall themed movie could bring a tear to my eye but his performance was just perfect. Not to mention his monumental performances in Hitchcock's "Rear Window" and "Vertigo". Audrey Hepburn was just the epitome of elegance and a true movie star. She just had that something that made her such a joy to watch.

lizcarlo

^I agree. Of course, I love Judy Garland from "The Wizard of Oz" (1939) but discovered Gene Kelly through his fifties' movies. My favorite of his performances is in "Singin' In The Rain". It's definitely my favorite musical (aside from "The Wizard Of Oz") from classic Hollywood.

My favorite old Hollywood actor and actress are James Stewart and Audrey Hepburn. That can probably be seen from my list. My absolute favorite performance of the whole decade was James Stewart in "Harvey". I could not believe such an off-the-wall themed movie could bring a tear to my eye but his performance was just perfect. Not to mention his monumental performances in Hitchcock's "Rear Window" and "Vertigo". Audrey Hepburn was just the epitome of elegance and a true movie star. She just had that something that made her such a joy to watch.

I agree.. Audrey Hepburn is true classic Hollywood star. Harvey is such good movie. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors. I also like Grace Kelly actress and Hitchcock movies.