Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Vikings

lizcarlo

Yeah someone else likes it. Lagertha is my favorite. She has internal and physical strength, smart and is loving mom. Someone who is on fan board said Kathryn Winnick (Lagertha) taught many in the cast about martial arts used in the show.

lizcarlo

Wow black belt at 7. No wonder she is teaching the cast. I also like Princess Kwenthrith. I know she can be unhinged. She is one if those crazy characters I find interesting. I do fell bad for what happened to her when she was younger. How do you like them using the different languages? I don't mind it. It's kind of funny to see the king flirt with Lagertha through Althelstan especially the first time. I know Ragnar is flawed. I do like his good qualities. Like when Princess Kwenthrith was telling him about her rape. He tried to have a blank face but the muscle in his jaw were twitching. He hid that young girl when his men were looking around.

ReedRichards

Yeah, I think Princess K is going to have a breakdown at some point. I remember that soothsayer guy saying that Lagertha is going to get "cleaved" by someone she trusts. So it's either going to be King Ecbert or that guy that Lagertha left to run her "kingdom" while she's off building a settlement. This season is shaping up to be a good one though.

lizcarlo

She will defiantly do something. I think something intense will happen with Floki. He seems to not approve of the Christians and visa versa for some Christians as well. They seem to want to convert the Vikings. I might be wrong. I don't see this blowing over. He doesn't like that Ragnar is working with them either. I just see two cultures clashing. The stranger with Siggy, the queen and Floki girlfriend has added some drama as well.

lizcarlo

'Vikings' Jessalyn Gilsig explains why 'Scarred' death had to happen

'Vikings' Jessalyn Gilsig explains why 'Scarred' death had to happen - Zap2it | News & Features

Sadly, death has once again come to "Vikings."

In an act of ultimate heroism, Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig) sacrificed herself to save the lives of Aslaug (Alyssa Sutherland) and Ragnar's (Travis Fimmel) children, who were drowning under the ice of a frozen sea. It's a tragic end for a character that has already lost so much -- including her husband and children -- but one that seemed fitting for someone that had already given so much of herself to the Vikings.

Of course, the death also added even more intrigue to Harbard (Kevin Durand), who easily could have saved her life but chose not to do so. Zap2it spoke with Gilsig about Harbard's motivations and what went into the decision to kill Siggy -- you may be surprised by who had the initial idea.

RELATED: 'Vikings' Ben Robson says joining the show in Season 3 was 'daunting'

Zap2it: It's a very sad day for "Vikings." You'd think, of all the characters, Siggy would be the one to make it!

Jessalyn Gilsig: I know, she should be be the last man standing! The last woman standing!

When did you find out Siggy was going to die this season?

The truth is, I approached [creator Michael Hirst]. At the end of Season 2, I had some personal things that I needed to be home for. Living in Ireland was really proving difficult at that time -- it just wasn't working for my family. So I approached him, and it was really hard to do so.

He was really marvelous. He's a parent as well and fully understood. So we talked about how we really wanted to make sure that there was closure. He did such an beautiful job, and I was incredibly moved by how it was done.

I was expecting sort of a gruesome, punishing death. Instead, it was heroic. Like myself, she was pulled by her family and by her love for her children. I'm incredibly touched by how he served the character.

It's been one of the hardest conversations I've ever had. It's a hard role to walk away from -- that's an understatement -- but some things in life are more important, and I had some things that needed my attention, and I really felt like I didn't have a choice.

As you said, the deaths on the show aren't exactly the happiest of affairs. They're normally very hard to take, like the blood eagle. That makes Siggy's stand out as so powerful.

That's exactly what we talked about. In fact, we talked a lot about whether it's a choice she makes. We're dealing with a belief system where she can reach her children -- she can go to Valhalla. Maybe she's just tired and the fight isn't in her anymore and family is the greater pull.

It's so amazing as an actor, because you're so attached to a character and have a million ideas of what they should do and what they could do. Then a writer steps in and makes you think, "In a million years I couldn't dream this resolution for the character." Yet, it seems as though it was the only appropriate way to take her out.

Michael's ability to do that is ridiculous. It could have been a betrayal of Ragnar or a murder or blood eagle. Instead, it honors the history of this character that's been built over three seasons. The thing I love about Siggy is she's often accused of being duplicitous. She's not duplicitous! When confronted with the drowning of these children, she follows her instincts -- to save them.

These are people, they're not concepts. I feel like Michael is so very good at reminding us of that. They're not superheroes or villains. They're complex individuals who are making their way in a really difficult world.

When it comes to her actual death scene, Siggy sees two people, including her late daughter (Elinor Crawley). What was that reunion like, shooting your final scene with her?

She's a beautiful actress, and it's almost like reading an incredible novel. It was honoring what we laid in the first season. Michael said something to me the first time I met him. He said there is a universal truth that transcends loyalty and borders and religions and beliefs; we all love our children. It's absolutely true.

At the end of the day, that's the whole point. It's true for Ragnar, Lagertha, all of us. We lay out the future for our children. The fact that Siggy had lost three of her children and the grief she carries -- it's defining.

When Michael and I talked about that moment, this is a woman that had a lot of fight. Maybe in that moment, though, seeing her daughter, she just said, "I'm tired." I think it's a beautiful way to take her out.

Siggy also sees Harbard (Kevin Durand). He's an interesting person because viewers -- and the characters -- aren't sure what to make of him yet. At the end, does she come to any sort of realization about who he is?

He doesn't move to save her, so she knows it's going to be a fight to save herself. He just looks at her. I think what it's suggesting is if she puts in the energy to save herself and go forward to whatever the next chapter's going to be, it's going to be a fight.

In that moment she's like, "You kids go take care of yourselves, I'm done." She predates Ragnar and this whole regime, and she's just so tired of saving everybody. If Aslaug wants to jeopardize her and leave the people vulnerable -- I'm tired.

It's a well-deserved break for her.

Basically, it's time to go to Valhalla and hang with her family, see her true love Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne) again.

Clive Standen, who plays Rollo, mentioned at Comic-Con that everyone had just said goodbye to a member of the cast -- which of course we now see is you. He said there was a bit of a goodbye celebration. Does the cast have a tradition for when one of you leaves?

We had many amazing goodbyes that were wonderful. Look, we're in Ireland. We'll celebrate anything. Now I miss the cast terribly, but they come through Los Angeles. What I really miss is the crew, who are mostly based in Ireland. I became so close to them and it's hard to think about it.

They'll be back there in a month or so and I won't be. It's a little hole in my heart, but I'm so happy I got to be a part of it.

Looking back on the show, are there any special moments that stand out to you above all the others?

I was actually very surprised to get the role. I knew what they wanted to do was something that had never been done before, creating a world that could transport an audience. It's hard to do now because audiences are so savvy.

I thought, "Why would they want Terri Schuester from 'Glee' to walk into the Great Hall?" I was really nervous about it and thought it would shatter everything they were trying so hard to create. Most of the cast at the time wasn't so recognizable, except for Gabriel Byrne. So why would the lady from "Glee" show up in a Viking village? I was really worried about it.

Luckily, we discussed it when I got there and decided first of all to dye my hair. And I had to hand myself over. There was a sense of immersion that had to happen, and you had to work yourself into the fabric of the world we were creating.

For me, it was when Siggy and the Earl walked into the Great Hall and I had this incredible cream outfit on with multiple layers and Gabriel Byrne with a huge cloak. You looked around and you can't see the cameras because the world is so complete. There's goats and chickens there, the fires are burning and there's extras. I thought it was so incredible, as an actress, to step into that and allow yourself be carried through a portal into a new world.

It's so ironic that I had to leave. This show is such an illustration of why I became an actor. For "Vikings," you have to release ego and vanity and self, and you have to commit to the fight of your character. You have to fight on behalf of your character. That's why you become an actor, to take the audience on a journey to somewhere new and transforming. In a way, it rekindled my love for what I do.

lizcarlo

I am liking Rollo and Bjorn more and more. The french princess is brave so of course she is awsome in my opinion. Floki head sticking up out of the water was so creepy. What I'm about to say may be spolier alert so dont read further if oyu dont want to be "spolied". hahah

I wonder if the french princess and Rollo are going to end up togther and what the seir said is with her.