Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uganda Passes ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill

clh_hilary

Uganda Passes ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill

By the end of 2012, Uganda’s internationally contentious “Kill the Gays” bill will become law.
The highly religious, highly Christian country has been trying to get this bill passed since 2009, and it faced a great deal of criticism on an international level along the way: several European countries threatened to reduce aid to the country if the bill was passed.
Speaker Rebecca Kadaga described the bill’s passing as a “Christmas gift” for the Ugandan people.
The law will broaden the criminalization of same-sex relationships by dividing homosexuality into two categories; aggravated homosexuality and the offense of homosexuality.
‘Aggravated homosexuality’ is defined as gay acts committed by parents or authority figures, HIV-positive people, pedophiles and repeat offenders. If convicted, they will face the death penalty.

The ‘offense of homosexuality’ includes same-sex sexual acts or being in a gay relationship, and will be prosecuted by life imprisonment.
So… I will not be going to Uganda any time soon.
We’ll be sure to update with any fallout from countries that provide foreign aid.

maddkat

Staff member
the rest of the world needs to cut off all aid to Uganda now.
There should be zero tolerance in the international community for this kind of hate.

pklongbeach

Killing people because of religious conviction. Thats new!

(It's like killing people is better than gay people). I guess if the Halacaust could happen so could this. Whats funny to me is it seems, "This" is why we need Jesus!

bigbluegrl23

Killing people because of religious conviction. Thats new!

(It's like killing people is better than gay people). I guess if the Halacaust could happen so could this. Whats funny to me is it seems, "This" is why we need Jesus!

Its hilarious when die hard Christians actually believe their religion is somehow better than Islam. Both have their own psycho extremists.
Becca

Pi314CA

the rest of the world needs to cut off all aid to Uganda now.
There should be zero tolerance in the international community for this kind of hate.

Wow, elevating gay rights to be that high. And wanting the whole world to join in so as to apply your morals to all countries around the world.

Can you imagine a comment (although not to the same degree) from the other side: "the rest of the USA needs to cut off all commerce to the states that passed gay marriage."

How ridiculous would that sound?

maddkat

Staff member
Wow, elevating gay rights to be that high. And wanting the whole world to join in so as to apply your morals to all countries around the world.

Can you imagine a comment (although not to the same degree) from the other side: "the rest of the USA needs to cut off all commerce to the states that passed gay marriage."

is not passing gay marriage equivalent to killing someone because they are gay?? I think not

If a state advocated killing someone just for being gay I would say darn right all commerce should be cut off to that state

pklongbeach

This is not about moral rights.

You're talking about killing innocent people!
Are you going to be the one to shot them dead?

jaylee50

This is so sad, and to think the majority of Ugandan's think the law is right makes it so much sadder.
Some things are beyond my comprehension.

carebear4eva

I have a simple, civil question for you. You do not support gay rights, no big deal.

20 years ago, South Africa was an apartheid nation, that did not support "coloured" rights. The entire world cut off commerce and relations with South Africa because racial superiority was incompatible with their morals. And note that us "coloured" folks weren't being executed for being of a certain race, we were only being discriminated against (to a horrible extent, no doubt, but we weren't being shot in the street).

Do you think the decision of over 75% of the world's countries to break off ties with SA in order to apply their "moral" of racial equality was justified? And if yes, why would a similar decision to apply the "moral" of not-killing-people-for-who-they-choose-to-sleep-with be ridiculous?

epicamends

Some people around the world have seriously misunderstood what Christianity is supposed to be about. This? This is the result of pure ignorance and hatred. I hope the rest of the world sends a very strong message to Uganda that this is not okay.

bigbluegrl23

Are you out of your mind!? We're talking about MURDERING innocent people!! For something they can't control. Geez, r u kidding me right now? It's one thing to not support equal rights but u actually don't see how horrible murdering gays is? Wow good for you... U just made it very clear how deep your ignorance and hatred goes.
Becca

gocountrymusic

I feel in this case it's a different. These are people's lives being taken away. The equivalent for this on the other side would being "killing people that conduct straight acts" and I bet pro-Gay rights activists would not tolerate that either. Killing is killing.

clh_hilary

In a way, yes, withdrawing aids would be like forcing our ideology on others. But what's wrong with that when the 'ideology' in question is the assumption that everybody should have the right to live? And, if this 'ideology' is really that unreasonable, I suppose Uganda can always look for aids somewhere else or help themselves on their own. Why should America pays for them when they have hardly anything America wants to support? Actually this isn't even forcing an ideology upon anyone. Forcing would mean something like a violent military action.

Let's say: I don't like the coat you're wearing and you'd like money to buy another coat that's even uglier in my eyes. I'm choosing not to give my money to you to buy that ugly coat, but I am not forbidding you from buying that ugly coat, or looking for other means to get it.

carebear4eva

In a way, yes, withdrawing aids would be like forcing our ideology on others. But what's wrong with that when the 'ideology' in question is the assumption that everybody should have the right to live? And, if this 'ideology' is really that unreasonable, I suppose Uganda can always look for aids somewhere else or help themselves on their own. Why should America pays for them when they have hardly anything America wants to support? Actually this isn't even forcing an ideology upon anyone. Forcing would mean something like a violent military action.

Let's say: I don't like the coat you're wearing and you'd like money to buy another coat that's even uglier in my eyes. I'm choosing not to give my money to you to buy that ugly coat, but I am not forbidding you from buying that ugly coat, or looking for other means to get it.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this too. There is something called human, civil rights that one would hope we have made some mark in achieving in over 2 millennia of our existence. The United Nations has something called the Declaration of Human Rights. I suggest very strongly that you read it, Pi. The world ought not to stay back silently and watch as people are killed for pseudo-choices.

And this is hardly relegated to us flaming homosexuals. The world ought not simply sit back and make statements as people are massacred for exerting their individuality. That individuality may be their race, the faith they choose to follow (or lack thereof), the language they speak, or any other individual choice or design.

Do you (or rather, do we) not realise how unbelievably lucky and simply FORTUNATE we were to be born into the homes, families, countries and times that we were born into? It is nothing but an accident of chance that determines who is born where. I was born to a middle-class Indian family with the two most ridiculously doting parents. I have never truly known what it is like to lack any basic, fundamental right; be it the rights to education, food or free speech. Without being overly presumptuous, I assume that most people on this board have been born into similar circumstances.

If that accident of chance had gone a little differently, I could have been born anywhere else. 1000 years ago, I could have born a prisoner in a rotting jail. 500 years ago, I could have born a Native American who was killed in conquest. 400 years ago, I could have been under a tyrannical Indian empire that would have had me and my family killed. 300 years ago, I could have been born a slave to a cruel owner in America. 50 years ago, I could have been born in a ghetto in the Third Reich.

And today, I could have born a Kurd under Sadaam Hussein's rule, or a woman under the Taleban regime, or to impoverished parents in my own India. I could have had a life that would have seen me denied my most fundamental rights, simply because of who I am. Instead of going to bed wondering when the TBC video is coming out, I could be going to bed wondering whether a tyrannical ruler will order my family executed tomorrow.

Enough of putting up borders and divisions in an already divided world. It is grossly, grossly selfish to declare "That's their problem and their choice. We gotta look out for our own." Do you not realise that if fate had worked a little differently, you could have been one of "them". And would you still want the world to look away?

We are all human. I belong to the world's largest democracy where freedoms of speech, expression and association are a given. Most people here belong to similar countries. Don't take it for granted. And never forget that across the world, human beings, who are no different from you in any way have none of the rights you enjoy, let alone the luxuries.

Don't look the other way.

bigbluegrl23

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this too. There is something called human, civil rights that one would hope we have made some mark in achieving in over 2 millennia of our existence. The United Nations has something called the Declaration of Human Rights. I suggest very strongly that you read it, Pi. The world ought not to stay back silently and watch as people are killed for pseudo-choices.

And this is hardly relegated to us flaming homosexuals. The world ought not simply sit back and make statements as people are massacred for exerting their individuality. That individuality may be their race, the faith they choose to follow (or lack thereof), the language they speak, or any other individual choice or design.

Do you (or rather, do we) not realise how unbelievably lucky and simply FORTUNATE we were to be born into the homes, families, countries and times that we were born into? It is nothing but an accident of chance that determines who is born where. I was born to a middle-class Indian family with the two most ridiculously doting parents. I have never truly known what it is like to lack any basic, fundamental right; be it the rights to education, food or free speech. Without being overly presumptuous, I assume that most people on this board have been born into similar circumstances.

If that accident of chance had gone a little differently, I could have been born anywhere else. 1000 years ago, I could have born a prisoner in a rotting jail. 500 years ago, I could have born a Native American who was killed in conquest. 400 years ago, I could have been under a tyrannical Indian empire that would have had me and my family killed. 300 years ago, I could have been born a slave to a cruel owner in America. 50 years ago, I could have been born in a ghetto in the Third Reich.

And today, I could have born a Kurd under Sadaam Hussein's rule, or a woman under the Taleban regime, or to impoverished parents in my own India. I could have had a life that would have seen me denied my most fundamental rights, simply because of who I am. Instead of going to bed wondering when the TBC video is coming out, I could be going to bed wondering whether a tyrannical ruler will order my family executed tomorrow.

Enough of putting up borders and divisions in an already divided world. It is grossly, grossly selfish to declare "That's their problem and their choice. We gotta look out for our own." Do you not realise that if fate had worked a little differently, you could have been one of "them". And would you still want the world to look away?

We are all human. I belong to the world's largest democracy where freedoms of speech, expression and association are a given. Most people here belong to similar countries. Don't take it for granted. And never forget that across the world, human beings, who are no different from you in any way have none of the rights you enjoy, let alone the luxuries.

Don't look the other way.

This person also could have been born Gay... Oh but wait, they believe it's a choice. *rolls eyes*
Becca

bearball49

This whole thread is so heart wrenching. I hate extemists of anykind and this is why. So sad that we can not just learn to live and let live. I believe in the goodness and love that Jesus taught. I have such issues with many parts of religion in not keeping up with the times. Persecution of any kind for beliefs is just wrong. If we followed the Bible exactly as written from page one on, we would still be killing children for disobediance and performing sacrifices that are not even accepted in today's religion. We need to separate the good from the bad and try to remember the teachings that we are supposed to be remembering of loving everyone, including our enemies and trying to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Yes, taken literally homosexuality is considered a sin, but then so is just about any other sexual act other than for procreation. It is time Christianity took a big step out of the dark ages. I am proud to be a Chrustian but what these people are talking about is legalising murder. So much wrong with so much of Africa these days from enslaving children and much more. I am truly afraid that we do not even have a clue just how many of the civil rights of these people have been violated. I am the first one to complain when things are not as they should be in America, but thank goodness as wacky as things can be, our rights and even the rights of felons and our enemies are protected. I am not trying to preach as I undertand that there are many on this forum who have different beliefs and we are all entitled to our own heartfelt beliefs. I just hate to see this Christianity we see portrayed here as what most Christians feel. I honestly feel most Christians are trying to look for the good teachings in the Bible and find comfort and share that comfort and love with others less fortunate. What I have read here is not the Christianity that I love.

allamericangirl8

I kind of [a little bit] understand not supporting their marriage rights, but if you support imprisoning gays (since they're "only" imprisoning them now), you deserve zero respect. Sorry.

"Let's imprison blacks" = slavery
"Let's imprison Jews" = Holocaust
"Let's imprison gays" = Christmas gift

Disgusting. I can't stand co-existing with people like that. Ordinarily, I'm a very tolerant person, tolerant of a huge range of opinions that differ from mine, but this one. I can't turn the other cheek to this one.

I don't know why I'm so surprised. I should never be surprised with the amount of hatred instilled in some people, yet it gets me every time.

I am so shocked by this bill! We can give our opinion, and be for (or against) the rights of homosexuals, that is our right, but in ANY case we have the right to kill people! IN ANY CASE!
And be can't look at this and just say : "that's their choice, not ours" because we are ALL human beings!

History is here to move us forward and don't let past errors occur again!

It's sad that people think like that in our period :(

This bill is a SHAME, she is HORRIBLE & FULL OF HATRED and I sincerely hope that something will happen just in time to not make the bill pass!!!