Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the EU?

• Remain

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Leave

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farawayhills

Originally Mr. Michael Gove declined to run for the Conservative leadership and endorsed Mr. Boris Johnson, but everything quickly changed today as Mr. Gove decided to fill for candidacy, and Mr. Johnson ruled himself out of the race.

There are 5 candidates in the Conservative Party leadership election, 3 Leave (Mr. Gove, Mr. Liam Fox, and Mrs. Andrea Leadsom) and 2 Remain (Mr. Stephen Crabb and Mrs. Theresa May).

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on this surprising change and the candidates' chances, Farawayhills

Both main parties have fallen into disarray over leadership in the wake of the referendum (which has had wide ranging political results, which neither side seem to have expected or thought through in advance)

Michael Gove had appeared to be entering an agreement to back Boris Johnson, as his campaign manager - until he unexpectedly announced his own candidature today, resulting in Johnson's support collapsing and him pulling out. Opinion is divided on whether Gove had been planning all along to out-manœuvre Johnson, or whether he reluctantly came to the conclusion that Johnson was not suitable to be leader. I think the latter is more likely. Gove seems to have been unable to get Johnson to agree on whom to include in his team, and seems to have been concerned about Johnson's ability to unify the party and the country.

Johnson attracts public support, but is also seen by others as an eccentric and unpredictable figure, who sometimes attracts ridicule. More seriously, the most dangerous development during and since the referendum has been growing intolerance and anti-foreign feeling in some quarters, and there may have been concerns that Johnson didn't seem able to give firm leadership against this feeling.

I would be surprised if Gove won the leadership - he is a serious and able administrator, but may lack the personal charisma to win wide public support. Some voters may identify him with the traditional Tory establishment, limiting his wider appeal.

There are five candidates, but the front-runner would seem to be Theresa May. She is the longest serving Home Secretary for 100 years, and is putting herself forward as the most unifying and qualified potential PM. She backed the "Remain" campaign, but actually avoided much personal activity during the campaign, and was not associated with the "scare" tactics that some voters resented. This enables her to act potentially as a "bridging" figure, able to negotiate on the concerns of both sides.

Dr Fox is a Right-wing Conservative, who has stood for the leadership before. I have doubts about whether he could appeal to enough of the party to be seen as a unifying figure. Steven Crabb is a young Welsh MP, who has only been in cabinet for two years. He seems an impressive speaker, and may appeal to the younger generation (70% of whom backed "remain") - but his lack of experience may limit his wider party support. Andrea Leadsom is relatively little known - but she was impressive in the "leave" debates, and could be a "dark horse" for those who feel strongly that a "leave" supporter should lead the negotiations.

It's true that Mrs Theresa May sworn in as prime minister today. Your wise opinion came true

She appointed Boris Johnson as Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Liam Fox as Secretary of State for International Trade, and David Davis as Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

Her point of views opposes Scottish Independence

I'd like to hear your comments on this ongoing event, Farawayhills

It's true that Mrs Theresa May sworn in as prime minister today. Your wise opinion came true

She appointed Boris Johnson as Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Liam Fox as Secretary of State for International Trade, and David Davis as Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

Her point of views opposes Scottish Independence

I'd like to hear your comments on this ongoing event, Farawayhills

Moreover, Mr. Michael Gove was recently sacked from the Cabinet by Mrs May
I would like to know your opinion of this situation, Farawahills
Is this the end of Gove's political career?