Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US gun debate: Obama unveils gun control proposals

carebear4eva

President Barack Obama has unveiled a raft of sweeping gun control proposals, setting the stage for a showdown with firearms rights advocates.

Mr Obama called for a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and wider background checks on gun buyers.

The Democratic president also signed 23 executive actions, which do not require congressional approval.

He urged Congress:

• to reintroduce an expired ban on "military-style" assault weapons, such as those used in several recent mass shootings
  • limit ammunition magazines to 10 rounds
  • introduce background checks on all gun sales; currently private sales and some sales at gun shows, constituting about 40% of the national total, are exempt
  • pass a ban on possession and sale of armour-piercing bullets
  • introduce harsher penalties for gun-traffickers, especially unlicensed dealers who buy arms for criminals
  • finally approve the appointment of the head of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Full story : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21049942

"About time" is all I have to say.

pklongbeach

I just through this action more people accept that we don't live in the world we used to live in.
And that a persons personal right (like mine to race other cars on the highway) is simply not a right that we can afford to exercise anymore.
I can't bring dinomite to work!
Why?
Cause it's danergous!
"Everything you need to know, you learned in Kindergarden"!

Is it very necessary at the present to introduce a gun control proposal? Can this proposal protect the society from gun attacks?

Do American people really need to own guns?

I am not living in the USA. That's why I'm not sure how people here think of owning guns