Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What 'Idol' needs to do in Season 10: End the rocker-boy reign

Claire2004

What 'Idol' needs to do in Season 10: End the rocker-boy reign

As the premiere of American Idol's 10th season approaches, we've been looking at the things the show needs to do if it wants to successfully reinvent itself. So far, we've recommended taking a renewed interest in the performing talent and killing off the Simon Cowell "mean judge" archetype.

Here's the next suggestion:

#3 End the rein of the cute rocker boys

For the first six seasons of its existence, American Idol produced very different kinds of winners each year. But for the past three years, they've looked remarkably alike. And for three years, the winners have seen diminishing returns from their post-Idol careers.

Somebody different needs to win this year.
What 'Idol' needs to do in Season 10: End the rocker-boy reign - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

Related articles:
What 'Idol' needs to do in Season 10: Focus on the contestants - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

What 'Idol' needs to do in Season 10: Kill the Cowell archetype - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

What 'Idol' needs to do in Season 10: Revive its commercial clout - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

HuiZ

Nothing is going to change if they don't change the voting rules. It's the voting demographics.

JB172

Nothing is going to change if they don't change the voting rules. It's the voting demographics.

Totally agree, until the voting is limited it will be very hard for anyone but a "cute rocker boy" who will win. I like the instrument playing and I totally disagree with people who bring up the whole "they are just hiding behind their instrument" stuff, but the three years that the instrument playing has been allowed were all won by a guitar playing guy.

AI should go to the same voting process that DWTS uses.

gaycarebear

I hate the voting for the show. I want a really awesome female contestant to win. It's longgggggggggggggg overdue imo

CarrieFan928

The only "rocker guy" I liked was David Cook. After that it started getting a bit boring and there was better talent. Kris was good but Adam was better. And Lee was good but once again the runner-up Crystal was better. At least this proves the show isn't fixed.

I agree they should change the voting rules. Judges should be part of the voting and actually know talent. Honestly, sometimes America is so blind. These cute guys are easily forgotten within a few weeks. I still can't believe Tim Urban made it to Top 7.

Voters should also be looking at contestants who consistently deliver spectacular performances not just one great one at the end. The point of American Idol is to find a superstar not a one-hit wonder.

I might watch the new season out of curiosity. I've always like Jennifer Lopez's personality so I'm a bit curious about how she'll act as a judge.

HuiZ

I'm actually fine with Cook and Kris as the winners, and both their seasons in general.

In season 7, sure there are many people who played instruments, but they didn't really "hide" behind them IMO. I'm not a fan of Cook at all, but he was very smart with his choices and had the stage presence even without his guitar. In season 8, there weren't that many who played instruments actually (and who can blame Scott for sitting behind the piano a lot??!). Sure, some thought Adam should've won, but Kris was very smart with his instruments choice as well as song arrangements (just like Cook).

Season 9 is the one that bugged me with the instruments use. I thought they abused the guitar usage a lot and were actually really hiding behind it. As much as I enjoyed Crystal's voice, she was pretty awkward behind a piano, and even more awkward without any instrument. Lee was completely lost without his guitar. To make things worse, Lee's vocals were so inconsistent compared to the previous two WGWG winners.

Yeah, the last time I liked an Idol winner it was Jordin Sparks. I don't know why, it doesn't feel like its changed that much but when you watch it you know its different. I hope season 10 is amazing

supercarriefan

Most importantly: Idol needs to put an end to the unlimited voting because I believe things would turn out differently if the same people weren't allowed to vote hundreds or even thousands of times. They also need to take the focus off the judges/host and bring it back to the contestants.

I have liked all of the so-called rocker boys. However, I don't think Lee and Kris qualify as rockers. I think David Cook was the best of the three, and,IMO, one of the best male voices the show has ever had. He also is an actual rocker.

I agree with Jim that I don't buy this whole people hiding behind their instruments thing. What is wrong with an artist who is more comfortable with an instrument on stage, so long as they play the instrument well? Many country artists (particularly men) are most often seen with instruments...does Idol mean to tell me that Brad Paisley is hiding behind his guitar lol? I don't think so. I think Idol producers are just looking for ways to justify their changes.

I don't usually watch the audition rounds for Idol, but I will tune in tomorrow night just to see how the new judging panel works out. I hope JLo and Steven Tyler bring something new and fresh to the show. Less bad auditions being shown, and more of the good would be nice as well. I'm hoping for more former Idols as musical guests this year, and less of the likes of Kesha and Katy Perry.

Carrieflattsfan

I hate to say it (because I used to LOVE Idol), but I think the Idol producers know the glory days of talent are over, and now they're scrambling to fix it.

The producers were the ones who caused the downfall; why fix what isn't broken? I think changing the judging panel forever changed the show, especially because it took so much time away from the contestants. Enough with the experiments! Get back to the talent; let them show America who they are, but give them freedom to express themselves how they chose. If they want to sing country music, so be it. If they want to sing pop, give them a broader scope so they can pick something different that's still in their comfort zone. I loved when Idol had themes like Top 40 week, country week, rock, etc. They should go back to that.

The last Idol winner I was a big fan of was Jordin; a lot of them are talented, but don't have the "star power" some of the past winners/contestants did.
I'd have to disagree about the best rocker though; Chris Daughtry was rock, did his own arrangements, and wasn't afraid to experiment. I respected him for having incredible performance/vocal skills, and he didn't need anything special to do it. There's such a thing as natural star power/charisima and Chris had all that and more. David is very talented as well, but I think Chris had more of a natural aura about him.

cpeTN89

I am so glad class got canceled tonight....now i can watch Idol :)

My hopes for this season is, like others have said, focus more on the contestants! I am glad they are going back to three judges. Having four judges takes way too much time away for the contestants. And as sad as I am that Simon is gone, I am thrilled Kara is gone. She annoyed me so bad. Don't get me wrong, she is a great songwriter. And I am glad Carrie got to co-write MS and UI with her. But her personality is so very annoying.

I hope they do broader themes as well. And I hope like others have said that we don't get a pretty rocker boy this year. I would love to have an incredible female vocalist win this year. And I am sure out of 100,000 people auditioning there are tons of them that they pass out. I think it is crazy that kellie pickler made it to the top 6 but hillary scott tried out and we never even heard of her on Idol. Even a great country singer winning would be nice.... there has never been a male country idol winner. That would be cool.

Most importantly, I just hope they pick ALL excellent vocalist for the top 24. The show hasn't had that in a long time. And also FOCUS more on the contestants. I can not stress that enough lol.

Kizmet311

Most importantly: Idol needs to put an end to the unlimited voting because I believe things would turn out differently if the same people weren't allowed to vote hundreds or even thousands of times. They also need to take the focus off the judges/host and bring it back to the contestants.

I have liked all of the so-called rocker boys. However, I don't think Lee and Kris qualify as rockers. I think David Cook was the best of the three, and,IMO, one of the best male voices the show has ever had. He also is an actual rocker.

I agree with Jim that I don't buy this whole people hiding behind their instruments thing. What is wrong with an artist who is more comfortable with an instrument on stage, so long as they play the instrument well? Many country artists (particularly men) are most often seen with instruments...does Idol mean to tell me that Brad Paisley is hiding behind his guitar lol? I don't think so. I think Idol producers are just looking for ways to justify their changes.

I don't usually watch the audition rounds for Idol, but I will tune in tomorrow night just to see how the new judging panel works out. I hope JLo and Steven Tyler bring something new and fresh to the show. Less bad auditions being shown, and more of the good would be nice as well. I'm hoping for more former Idols as musical guests this year, and less of the likes of Kesha and Katy Perry.

Some country musicians (male and female) do hide behind their instruments, aka King of Country, Mr. George Strait. Only a few (Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill for example) use that guitar as more than just a prop to strum on. They (especially the first two) shred their guitars!

With that said, I haven't watched Idol since the year that David Cook won except when Carrie has been on. I said I was going to watch last year for Ellen and never got around to it. So, I'm going to watch the auditions just to see how J Lo and Steven Tyler do.

teesharky

no more singer songwriter types who cannot sing. One Taylor Swift is enough, thank you very much. lol

diva101

I hated idol last year. One word to describe it: BORING! I hate it when the contestant only sing with guitar on his/her hands no moving around and no power notes. sighhh...

I want a superior vocalist to win... Male or Female

sur_crazy4carrie

David Cook was interesting and him winning was the only way show should have gone that year. David is probably the best male contestant in the show's history. Kris was low key but still very much his own artist (not a rocker) and he was very under rated. I had no problems at all with him winning. Better him than Lambert. Lee is just boring. But all the WGWGs winning do make it drab.

pklongbeach

I agree that I am not as impressed with a "performer" who can strum a guitar.
Sorry guys, but it's just not impressive. Take a few guitar lessons and I assure you, you can do the same thing.
The voices have not been "special".
I agree with the hiding aspect in as much as they were not great singers in the last several years.
The best singer of the past several years has been Adam and I think he has been allowed to make some major mistakes with the direction of his career. AKA: He's not "that Good"! And the drama is just silly.
If he has come forward as a vocalist and not a drama queen, he would be doing great things. But he is shooting himself in the foot every day he convinces himself that he needs these "costumes" everytime he walks out the door.
But we do need a nother vocalist. Not a guitar strummer.

kristie

I agree that I am not as impressed with a "performer" who can strum a guitar.
Sorry guys, but it's just not impressive. Take a few guitar lessons and I assure you, you can do the same thing.
The voices have not been "special".
I agree with the hiding aspect in as much as they were not great singers in the last several years.
The best singer of the past several years has been Adam and I think he has been allowed to make some major mistakes with the direction of his career. AKA: He's not "that Good"! And the drama is just silly.
If he has come forward as a vocalist and not a drama queen, he would be doing great things. But he is shooting himself in the foot every day he convinces himself that he needs these "costumes" everytime he walks out the door.
But we do need a nother vocalist. Not a guitar strummer.

i think that's why it's been predicted that a girl might win.