Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women in Country Music

Momin

#5 Ingrid Andress - "Wishful Drinking (with Sam Hunt)"
#7 Carrie Underwood - "Ghost Story"
#13 Gabby Barrett - "Pick Me Up"
#21 Kelsea Ballerini - "Heartfirst"
#24 Priscilla Block - "My Bar"
#25 Lainey Wilson - "Heart Like a Truck"
#31 Carly Pearce - "What He Didn't Do"
#32 Lainey Wilson (with Hardy) - "Wait in the Truck"
#33 Katelyn Brown (with Kane Brown) - "Thank God"
#2 Ingrid Andress - "Wishful Drinking (with Sam Hunt)"
#9 Gabby Barrett - "Pick Me Up"
#16 Katelyn Brown (with Kane Brown) - "Thank God"
#20 Lainey Wilson - "Heart Like a Truck"
#23 Carly Pearce - "What He Didn't Do"
#24 Lainey Wilson (with Hardy) - "Wait in the Truck"
#29 Kelsea Ballerini - "Heartfirst"
#43 Hailey Whitters - "Everything She Ain't"
#46 Miranda Lambert - "Strange"
#49 Elle King - "Worth a Shot"

Farawayhills

I haven't been able to see the ACM award show, but the news that caught my attention was Hailey Whitters' award for Best New Female Artist,. (I've been a fan for several years, and she once thanked me on social media for being there from the beginning!). Seriously, I think this is a much deserved reward for hard work and perseverance - something she referenced in one of her songs from a while back, which was a pointed description of the effort required to break into the Nashville system:

She is best known as a songwriter, but has also had recent radio recognition as a performer. She had a Grammy nomination (delayed by the pandemic) last year, as one of the eight all-women team who wrote "A Beautiful Noise", an anthem to encourage voter registration - and that may have helped this award too. However, we should not forget that a large part of the voting pool is made up of songwriters and session musicians, many of whom may have warmed to her as one of their own/

Momin

#2 Ingrid Andress - "Wishful Drinking (with Sam Hunt)"
#9 Gabby Barrett - "Pick Me Up"
#16 Katelyn Brown (with Kane Brown) - "Thank God"
#20 Lainey Wilson - "Heart Like a Truck"
#23 Carly Pearce - "What He Didn't Do"
#24 Lainey Wilson (with Hardy) - "Wait in the Truck"
#29 Kelsea Ballerini - "Heartfirst"
#43 Hailey Whitters - "Everything She Ain't"
#46 Miranda Lambert - "Strange"
#49 Elle King - "Worth a Shot"
I don't update this chart as much anymore because I feel like there's no big discussion that happens here haha. My aim to highlight chart positions each week was to spur conversations. But let me do it now anyway.

#6 Megan Moroney - "Tennessee Orange"
#15 Priscilla Block (with Justin Moore) - "You, Me & Whiskey"
#22 Carrie Underwood - "Hate My Heart"
#23 Hailey Whitters - "Everything She Ain't"
#32 Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)"
#34 Ashley McBryde - "Light on in the Kitchen"
#39 Kylie Morgan - "If He Wanted to He Would"
#42 Elle King - "Worth a Shot"

countrymusicfan15

I don't update this chart as much anymore because I feel like there's no big discussion that happens here haha. My aim to highlight chart positions each week was to spur conversations. But let me do it now anyway.

Wow I didn’t realize Tennessee Orange was already #6!

CU4ever

It seems we are in another, 2012-2015-like drought of women making #1 on Billboard. Megan is about to get blocked by Wallen, and after Megan, radio is seemingly refusing to play/convert any women's songs on the chart.

Momin

It seems we are in another, 2012-2015-like drought of women making #1 on Billboard. Megan is about to get blocked by Wallen, and after Megan, radio is seemingly refusing to play/convert any women's songs on the chart.
I think so too, sadly. I don't see any other female songs converting big right now unless they blow up on streaming or TikTok. If you really look at the songs on the chart right now, the only ones getting the most airplay are the ones streaming very well. Amongst women it's only Megan, and a little bit Hailey Whitters when her song went viral on TikTok. Others, including Carrie, are not viral on TikTok. Honestly I think Kelsea's song had a really good shot, still hoping it makes top 10 at least. And Kylie Morgan's song is pretty good.

Momin

#2 Megan Moroney - "Tennessee Orange"
#7 Priscilla Block (with Justin Moore) - "You, Me & Whiskey"
#18 Hailey Whitters - "Everything She Ain't"
#26 Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)"
#31 Ashley McBryde - "Light on in the Kitchen"
#35 Lainey Wilson - "Watermelon Moonshine"
#38 Kylie Morgan - "If He Wanted to He Would"
#43 Gabby Barrett - "Glory Days"
#49 Kassi Ashton - "Drive You Out of My Mind"

Momin

#2 Megan Moroney - "Tennessee Orange"
#7 Priscilla Block (with Justin Moore) - "You, Me & Whiskey"
#18 Hailey Whitters - "Everything She Ain't"
#26 Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)"
#31 Ashley McBryde - "Light on in the Kitchen"
#35 Lainey Wilson - "Watermelon Moonshine"
#43 Gabby Barrett - "Glory Days"
#49 Kassi Ashton - "Drive You Out of My Mind"
#6 Priscilla Block (with Justin Moore) - "You, Me & Whiskey"
#16 Hailey Whitters - "Everything She Ain't"
#20 Megan Moroney - "Tennessee Orange"
#21 Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)"
#24 Lainey Wilson - "Watermelon Moonshine"
#27 Ashley McBryde - "Light on in the Kitchen"
#39 Gabby Barrett - "Glory Days"
#46 Carrie Underwood - "Out of That Truck"
#48 Kassi Ashton - "Drive You Out of My Mind"

Momin

#6 Priscilla Block (with Justin Moore) - "You, Me & Whiskey"
#20 Megan Moroney - "Tennessee Orange"
#21 Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)"
#24 Lainey Wilson - "Watermelon Moonshine"
#27 Ashley McBryde - "Light on in the Kitchen"
#39 Gabby Barrett - "Glory Days"
#46 Carrie Underwood - "Out of That Truck"
#48 Kassi Ashton - "Drive You Out of My Mind"
#4 Priscilla Block (with Justin Moore) - "You, Me & Whiskey"
#19 Kelsea Ballerini - "If You Go Down (I'm Goin' Down Too)"
#20 Lainey Wilson - "Watermelon Moonshine"
#24 Ashley McBryde - "Light on in the Kitchen"
#34 Gabby Barrett - "Glory Days"
#39 Carrie Underwood - "Out of That Truck"
#43 Kassi Ashton - "Drive You Out of My Mind"
#50 Tigirlily Gold - "Shoot Tequila"

Farawayhills

(I'm posting this personal reaction here, rather than in the CMA awards thread, because I want to separate it from the very understandable fan disappointment, and try to see some broader implications of the night)

I haven't seen the show as a whole, but I have watched some of the performance videos that I was led to by a mixture of personal interest and news write-ups, and I think it is possible to see this week's show as one of the best for female artists in Mainstream Country for quite a while.

Firstly,, the two performances by Carly Pearce and Kelsea Ballerini were real standouts that left me lost in admiration. Both showed the depth of emotion in broken relationships and were very much in line with what I (as a long term Country fan) feel the genre often does best

Secondly, while, in general, I've had less admiration for the recent contributions of some male artists in the contemporary genre, I give kudos to Chris Stapleton for supporting Carly in her song, and to Luke Combs for his very faithful and "in character" cover of Tracy Chapman's emotional anthem of female hopes and perseverance .

And thirdly there was the tribute to Tanya Tucker - and I have to admit that this aging fan did get emotional at hearing that once-in-a-lifetime voice getting such an enthusiastic reception by this crowd!

And that does bring me to what I can see as in some sense being a cathartic theme of overdue recognition in this show. For it is widely believed that Tanya suffered exploitation and alleged abuse from older men in the industry of the '70s, and that her "wild child" reputation led to rejection by many insiders, while the men continued to receive accolades and a free pass.

On a different note, Country Music history owes a deep and wide ranging debt to Black roots music - but Tracy Chapman''s award for Song of the Year was the first time a female African American has ever been honoured by the CMA awards. The song was actually a Folk Rock classic from 1988, which has been top 5 in the UK charts on two occasions, years apart.! But why I think it fitted so well into the current mood in Country is that its story is one of optimism and determination in a young woman's fight to escape poverty and a life of routine.

Finally , I have to come to the big surprise of the night - Lainey Wilson winning not only a raft of personal awards but also the coveted "Entertainer of the Year", on the strength of a hitherto very brief Mainstream recognition., She was probably helped there by the votes for the other candidates being widely split - but even more so ( If I'm right in seeing a theme of many wanting to atone for past mistakes) by the feeling that it should be the year for it to go to a woman. That would leave Carrie and Lainey
as the lead contenders. Harsh as it is, though, Carrie's best chances were in the last few years - but those moments sadly passed without that recognition. Giving it to her this year would seem to some as a retrospective thank you for past glories - and although that would have been richly deserved, and I would have loved to see it, more probably saw a vote for the future as being more important. Moreover, to quite a few in the industry, Lainey's brief spell in the Mainstream disguises a long period of struggle for recognition, for example, living in a camper van outside a recording studio, working through clerical help, small dates and songwriting, before she earnt a breakthrough. That would fit the theme of struggle and heartbreak that has been seen in other aspects of this week's show.

I certainly would not call Lainey a stylistic purist in the Country spectrum.. She draws quite heavily on Southern Rock and on Contemporary General Music. (In fact, I see stylistic echoes of both Carrie's and Miranda's musical approaches in her performances.) But her heart is very plainly in the Country Music genre - and in that respect I think if she is to be a big force for the future, much of the shock will be temporary and more doubters will come to see that the torch will probably be passing to safe hands.

Last edited:

CU4ever

An update on women in country music…

Lainey seems to be the only artist with any success.
Megan and Carly’s current singles are 30-35 weeks old and doing mediocre, they could peak in the teens/twenties.

no new artists have broken through in years

Miranda and Maren’s last singles peaked in the 40s.
Kelsea’s last single peaked at #17.
Ashley McBryde’s last single peaked in the 20s.
Gabby’s current single is looking to peak at #21.
and finally, Carrie’s single is looking to peak at #24.

It seems like there are too many women for any to have success. When there were just 2/3, radio felt pressured to playing them because that was it. Now that there’s so many, they just play them each a little bit, leading to no real success

Farawayhills

Only giving 2 or 3 women prime air time is in itself a huge part of the problem. In the case of Carrie and Miranda, ageism is also definitely a factor - that is disgraceful, but is probably peculiar to the radio situation, as their concert atmosphere and their vocal and visual appeal are still very strong.

If radio support is waning, I think it is particularly shameful in Carrie's case, as she has had chart topping material right through her career, with a carefully crafted balance between genre loyalty and innovation. (I noticed, though, that artists such as Sara Evans and Miranda McBride continued to get award nominations for some years after radio had more or less dropped them, so we should bear in mind that radio is only one part of the scene)

In Lainey's case, social media and streaming played a very big part in her breakthrough - I think she is certainly a strong and interesting artist in her own right, but radio also had good reason to play her because a large chunk of their audience were already listening to her and talking about her (That may have something to do with her label being owned by Bertelsmann, a German-based company with very wide media interests - which may have given them an added edge in a changing entertainment market)

Last edited: