Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YWAM Turner Valley, Alberta, Canada

carebearcarrie

Hey Ya' ll! I wanted to come tell you how things are going since coming to Canada and being apart of this great, wonderful ministry Youth With a Mission. Where do I begin to start with my journey this far? Getting to YWAM was quite a struggle for me. Venturing out into new territory was very much a leap of faith and putting my life in Gods hands. That has been the best decision I have made since getting married to my amazing husband (I'm biased I know :p). I have started my schooling of DTS, Discipleship Training School. God has blessed me and given me such an insight. We have had five weeks of lectures so far. Week one, Hearing Gods voice. How God speaks differently to us as individuals. Week two, The Gospel. How we are justified and made righteous through faith, and the Trinity. Week three, Relationships. The honor of our parents, marriage, our self and God. Week four, The Cross. Understanding that sin is serious, and what Jesus did for us is real. Week five, The Fear of the Lord. Understanding the Awe and wonder of who God is and having full trust in Him. We have times of worship, intimate prayer, prayer for other nations and people, small group discussions, and even game nights of bonding and fun. The fellowship with the other students has been wonderful to learn and grow together in our different walks with the Lord. There is 5 other students, Grace from Australia, Nikki and Ben from Canada, HunHee from Korea, and Yuri from the Netherlands. My Husband and I are from Oregon. This DTS is a mountain venture DTS. We go on a different outing every week. Hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, horseback riding, white water rafting, etc. It is quite the adventure! This has been such an amazing experience that has only barley begun. We are all currently raising money for our outreach to Thailand. We minister to a specific group of people, the Shan People. We will be teaching children English, doing camps and activities, and doing an eye glasses clinic to give to anyone who may need glasses. We are also spending a short time in Vietnam. as a group we need $13,000. That is a huge decrees in the beginning number just two weeks ago of $20,000. We need our money by September 4th. We believe God is a God that provides. We see it happening everyday through the generosity of friends, family, and even kind strangers. Personally, my husband and I need roughly, $1,100 more for the total for us two. If you felt lead to give as a supporter of our missions work please private message me for more info and contact information.

Read more of my background story here:
http://www.carriefans.com/forums/my-big-news/158753-gods-love-changes-my-life.html

for more info on YWAM and Turner Valley:
Youth With A Mission Turner Valley, Canada
my facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/danielle.gjesdal

Here are some pictures of our hikes and whatnot. :)

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/carriefan102/library/YWAM%20DTS

here is our group picture, can you tell which one is me. :p

10356024_668164283274540_9098287032047896816_n_zps3fec4e08.jpg

carebearcarrie

Just got back from a 5 day backpacking trip! Was beyond beautiful!

Also today be and my husband are starting devotions of 40 Days of Purpose: Purpose Driven Life.

Pi314CA

Thank you for sharing! It is good to hear that YWAM is still going strong after so many years. I supporting a family from TN about 10 years ago that ministered to people in the South America area. Best to you and your team, and the Lord keep you and bless you.

Just a note of caution on The Purpose Driven Life... be a 'berean' and think through the theology and focus. Keep in check that this purpose and the motivation is God-centered and for Him. Sometimes, this book can be too much "me". The "me" needs to be out of the way for God to receive all the glory.

opry051008

Welcome to Canada! You make it pretty tough to figure out which is you in the the picture. lol.

I've never heard of the YWAM before but it sounds like it's making a real difference in your life. I wish you all the best in figuring out what God has in store for the two you. : )

carebearcarrie

Thank you! It is an amazing stepping stone into ministry. Just a little less than a month until we head to Thiland!

Canada is awesome! I love poutine. Haha

Pi314CA

I'm very excited for you, your husband and your team. Thailand is deep in spiritual darkness and political turmoil. Please take caution as to what color you wear... kinda weird... but there are allegiances towards "yellow shirts" (loyalty to the king), "purple shirts" (princess), etc. I don't recall the details as it has been about 10 years since I did a short term missions trip there. The government has been unstable but fortunately the people involved in the conflicts are mindful of foreigners and tourists.

There's a lot of culture do's and don'ts, etc. and will be an eye-opening experience for you all! Please send me a PM and let me know how I can help. Warmest blessings.

carebearcarrie

We are happily, in Thailand and staying at a nice guest house here in Chiang Mai. We leave for Pai on Wednesday morning, from there to Napajat, then to Mae Hong Son, to Mae Sai, and then to Vietnam. Got to experience the Sunday night market. We've been having our orientations here, and has gone very well.

Pi314CA- you were correct, MANY cultural dos and dont's, and luckily got a good learning curve from that before we arrived, so we got to learn it twice! :) thank you for you kind advice! You are so encouraging!

keep us in your prayers as we head on our journey. We are doing prayer walks in the city tomorrow.

Thank you!

Maggie

Are you still there? How are things going? I have a friend at church from Thailand. She was Buddhist and became a Christian. She felt insecure until she met Jesus. She gave her life to the Lord and she knows now that she will spend eternity in heaven when she dies. Before becoming a Christian she was unsure. She didn't know what would happen when she died. It was scary. Death is final. It's best to be as sure as possible.