Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Idol alumni album sales - Wikipedia (a nice tabulation)

blondemama

I am surprised at the low numbers of some of the winners and how little they have done. Some will take time like Crystal and I think if she had won as ahe should have hers would be better. I just wish we had a date for Carrie 4th. I am excited for Kellys 5th whos date was pushed back to sept because of strategy she said seh was told it was a better time for a hew release.

Carrieflattsfan

This link has a very thorough tabulation of album sales from American Idol alumni. Quite a number of 2011 releases to look forward to.

Link: American Idol alumni album sales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are lots of very low sales figures... I am shocked that William Hung has sold more albums than Lee DeWyze, Crystal Bowersox, and Danny Gokey.

This is interesting, thanks.

I'm surprised Adam hasn't gone platinum, and even Josh Gracin. He had a few big hits when his album first came out.
I'm kind of surprised about Danny's album too; didn't he have the highest debut from a male country singer since Garth Brooks?
Glad to see Kat McPhee is still doing OK- her Christmas album has done pretty well, and I think her album has sold well, considering she has no radio support.

carrieidol1

Look at Mandisa! I've always loved her and she has great music! I'm glad to see her sell so well considering zero promotion and the genre to which she belongs.

HuiZ

I am surprised at the low numbers of some of the winners and how little they have done. Some will take time like Crystal and I think if she had won as ahe should have hers would be better. I just wish we had a date for Carrie 4th. I am excited for Kellys 5th whos date was pushed back to sept because of strategy she said seh was told it was a better time for a hew release.
Not sure if Crystal winning will change anything about her album though. She was fighting to get her own co-writes (pre idol days) on the album and fought to have her self-penned song as the lead single. Can't imagine her album being able to get more mainstream for the sake of sales.

clh_hilary

William Hung released his album under a much better sales climate, of course he has sold more. Rebecca Black's "Friday" sold more than many of them as well (closing to 160000 copies sold).

Ace

Thank-you. This is quite an interesting chart. Both Kris and Lee did not live up to their potential...maybe the wrong Idol was crowned (same can be say to Taylor). But on the other hand I heard that Kris has a great writing skill...maybe he will do better on that part.

maria4hitz

Thanks for posting, those sales seem to be updated. I don't know about Adam because the last numbers I saw on idolchatter were 3 weeks ago and the album was at 807k, but it's still pretty close. Still this chart did not include international sales and kelly and adam both have worldwide sales, this is just US. Actually, Adam did a lot better overseas than in the US, he's still releasing singles from FYE in some countries.

clh_hilary

Thank-you. This is quite an interesting chart. Both Kris and Lee did not live up to their potential...maybe the wrong Idol was crowned (same can be say to Taylor). But on the other hand I heard that Kris has a great writing skill...maybe he will do better on that part.

I think Kris Allen's underperformance could not be attributed to simply being 'inferior' to Adam Lambert...Adam sings music that are more 'current' (mindless bubblegum electro-dance catchy pop, and he even looks like a female and could sound as high as a female does, so...) and he is definitely more aggressive and with more promotions. And if you count "Time For Miracles", Adam actually had 4 singles with "For Your Entertainment", "Whataya Want From Me" and "If I Had You". Kris did not include "No Boundaries" is his debut so he's only gotten "Live Like We're Dying", "The Truth" (featuring Train) and "Alright With Me" so far. Kris' underperformance also due to horrible single choices. Granted, LLWD was a hit, but it was stupid to release a cover by a band that was not really known in America (and it was only their b-side) for an American Idol winner. Not to mention the track shows no vocal ability whatsoever. Then, "The Truth" which could be the bomb of his career.

HuiZ

I think Kris Allen's underperformance could not be attributed to simply being 'inferior' to Adam Lambert...Adam sings music that are more 'current' (mindless bubblegum electro-dance catchy pop, and he even looks like a female and could sound as high as a female does, so...) and he is definitely more aggressive and with more promotions. And if you count "Time For Miracles", Adam actually had 4 singles with "For Your Entertainment", "Whataya Want From Me" and "If I Had You". Kris did not include "No Boundaries" is his debut so he's only gotten "Live Like We're Dying", "The Truth" (featuring Train) and "Alright With Me" so far. Kris' underperformance also due to horrible single choices. Granted, LLWD was a hit, but it was stupid to release a cover by a band that was not really known in America (and it was only their b-side) for an American Idol winner. Not to mention the track shows no vocal ability whatsoever. Then, "The Truth" which could be the bomb of his career.
It is also hard when you have Adam getting all the priority in promotions (that infamous AMA debut performance for example, mentoring on Idol etc etc) and the media circus constantly surrounding Adam. Kris had to live with the perception that he was "not good enough", "shouldn't have won", "the other guy" etc. On top of that, Jive (Kris's label) is famous for being stingy on promotions as well.

LLWD being a "cover" is actually never a problem. Hardly anyone in the US even heard of that song until some fans dug it out. TBH, the only people who saw it as a problem were people in the Idol bubble. Outside of it, casual listeners didn't care, critics didn't care..... and it's proven when it becomes a Top 10 Pop hit. Whataya Want From Me is a note-for-note "cover" as well, and again, because it's a good song and being sung well, no one cared.

Speaking of covers..... I didn't know Beyonce's "Smash Into You" was a cover of Jon Mclaughlin's "Smack Into You". LOL, changing one word, how creative :rolleyes:...... Sorry, I digressed :p

Ace

I was the original starter of this chart at Wikipedia, someone took over and updated weekly but it was mine :eek:

Carrieidol1....this is a terrific project you have created. It is great to follow how each of the Idol do after AI. You must have spent a lot of times and efforts to put this together and I really appreciated. Thanks (ps: also "thanks" to the person(s) continue to update this information).