Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandon Jenkins (OK music legend) RIP

Farawayhills

Any of you who follow Red Dirt music may have noticed Twitter posts over the last few days giving updates and asking for sympathy and prayers for Brandon Jenkins, who was critically ill in hospital following heart problems. Sadly, he never recovered and has passed away, aged 48.

A strong representative of the classic Tulsa sound, where he grew up (and which was part of Carrie's musical background too), he went to college in Stillwater, and absorbed the burgeoning Red Dirt sound there. His union of these two traditions made him a hero to many artists and fans on the Alternative Country and Roots Rock side, particularly in the Texas regional radio musical scene. I turned on this morning to see Bleu Edmondson and Stoney LaRue both posting about the loss of their "brother".

You can read Brandy McDonnell's account of his life here:
Red dirt musician Brandon Jenkins dies following heart operation | News OK

RIP

Farawayhills

There's a detailed personal tribute to Brandon Jenkins, by Tonya Little (who runs the blog Little Okie Land)

Remembering the Red Dirt Legend: A Tribute to Brandon Jenkins ? Little Okieland

I think it's worth a read - both because of the insights it gives into his personality - and because of it's moving portrayal of the links that can develop between an artist and a dedicated fan. Tonya not only gives elements of her own musical journey, but also brings out very clearly the importance of personal recommendation, and the live performance scene, in the world of independent music. I think it's a great piece of writing, bringing a larger-than-life personality and a scene into focus, in intimate and believable detail.