Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood: A Quiet Steward For Women

maddkat

Staff member
https://www.pollstar.com/article/carrie-underwood-a-quiet-steward-for-women-137846

really great article, click on it and read it, tweet it, post it on facebook

here's a taste

talking about the 'Ill Stand With You ' performance at the ACMs

"As so often happens at the network level, Carrie Underwood – a woman of impossibly high TVQ – got the call. And as the inexhaustible mother of two so often does, she said. “Yes.” But her “yes” isn’t a show up and stumble through, it’s a full-on commitment to bring it. As Clark explains, “She was the music driver who knew how to fold all those women into this song – and give them their moment. Their moment is what’s important to her, and you can feel it the second the performance starts.

“Edgar Struble (music director) and Raj Kapoor (co-executive producer) realize it. But in the end, it comes down to those women singing this song, expressing this sentiment. For the country music community, it’s about women coming together. Without Carrie, it doesn’t have the same impact; but she invested in it, and that amplified everything.”

Amplifying is, perhaps, what Underwood does best. Though it’s tempting to take the fresh-faced superstar for granted, the numbers don’t lie. She has sold upwards of 65 million albums, scored 15 No. 1 country singles, won seven Grammys, 14 Academy of Country Music Awards, 13 American Music Awards, 10 Billboard Music Awards and seven Country Music Association Awards, a show she’s co-hosted for the last 11 years."

"At a time when young women struggle to make even the lowest rungs of country radio playlists, the format’s biggest superstar is bringing “Girl In A Country Song” duo Maddie & Tae and newcomers Runaway June on tour with her. If she loses the built-in “back announcing” bump that comes with carefully sifting through rising artists with building chart success, Underwood isn’t bound to that kind of promotion to sell out.

Jeff Frasco, Underwood’s longtime agent at CAA, sees the engagement as a win. “It was pretty simple. Carrie wanted to help some female artists, and I think empowering a generation of young women artists (and fans) is everything she’s about. It makes a statement about empowerment from a woman who sells out arenas anywhere she plays.”

UMG Nashville President Cindy Mabe laughs, then says emphatically. “Who has the biggest Q Factor in country music? Carrie Underwood! They don’t build TV shows in this format, or outside this format without her. It’s not about metrics, or how many butts someone can put in seats, because she’s going to do that. She may not be as loud as I am, but she’s going to keep using her platform to make a difference, to keep bringing women onstage with her.”

and this part just made me sad

“She’s always been here to compete,” Mabe recalls. “Anywhere we went right after she came off the show, there’d be 300 people, all wanting autographs. When she couldn’t sign them all, the names they’d call her. At the [2005] CMAs in New York, some of the other artists [weren’t friendly]. But Carrie just went in the bathroom, threw up, came out and crushed her minute-thirty – and we went on to sell 8 million records!”

txacar

^This is an outstanding article that deserves its own thread. Thanks. (Note it is also posted in the Women in Country thread.)

FanSince04

One part that stood out to me is Carrie will be closing out the show with Love Wins like she did on the last tour with Something in the Water. This statement makes me think she has been the one behind using Love Wins as a single, on the Breakthrough soundtrack, and pushing for it even though it didn’t do as well as other singles/other songs could’ve done.

simonplay

You would never have guessed what happened at the CMA's 2005 when you saw Carrie perform and present that award! She is so strong and professional!
It doesn't surprised me either, just remember that Wynonna called her vanilla at the CMT's the year after.

simonplay

"For Mabe, whose company is also home to Luke Bryan, Chris Stapleton and George Strait, the proof is inside her office. Laughing, she concedes, “This is the most in-demand tour in the building. And this is a huge win for little girls.

“Carrie has certainly had all those opportunities, but she’s worked her ass off and made every one count. She wants to use that to lift up other women. Every decision’s been made by Carrie and Ann (Edelblute, her manager), don’t kid yourself. She’s grown into a woman who balances a career, two children, a husband, a fashion design business, writing and making records – and she wants to give people the same kind of show she wants to see.”

What a role model!! #legend

liz278

https://www.pollstar.com/article/carrie-underwood-a-quiet-steward-for-women-137846

really great article, click on it and read it, tweet it, post it on facebook

here's a taste

talking about the 'Ill Stand With You ' performance at the ACMs

"As so often happens at the network level, Carrie Underwood – a woman of impossibly high TVQ – got the call. And as the inexhaustible mother of two so often does, she said. “Yes.” But her “yes” isn’t a show up and stumble through, it’s a full-on commitment to bring it. As Clark explains, “She was the music driver who knew how to fold all those women into this song – and give them their moment. Their moment is what’s important to her, and you can feel it the second the performance starts.

“Edgar Struble (music director) and Raj Kapoor (co-executive producer) realize it. But in the end, it comes down to those women singing this song, expressing this sentiment. For the country music community, it’s about women coming together. Without Carrie, it doesn’t have the same impact; but she invested in it, and that amplified everything.”

Amplifying is, perhaps, what Underwood does best. Though it’s tempting to take the fresh-faced superstar for granted, the numbers don’t lie. She has sold upwards of 65 million albums, scored 15 No. 1 country singles, won seven Grammys, 14 Academy of Country Music Awards, 13 American Music Awards, 10 Billboard Music Awards and seven Country Music Association Awards, a show she’s co-hosted for the last 11 years."

"At a time when young women struggle to make even the lowest rungs of country radio playlists, the format’s biggest superstar is bringing “Girl In A Country Song” duo Maddie & Tae and newcomers Runaway June on tour with her. If she loses the built-in “back announcing” bump that comes with carefully sifting through rising artists with building chart success, Underwood isn’t bound to that kind of promotion to sell out.

Jeff Frasco, Underwood’s longtime agent at CAA, sees the engagement as a win. “It was pretty simple. Carrie wanted to help some female artists, and I think empowering a generation of young women artists (and fans) is everything she’s about. It makes a statement about empowerment from a woman who sells out arenas anywhere she plays.”

UMG Nashville President Cindy Mabe laughs, then says emphatically. “Who has the biggest Q Factor in country music? Carrie Underwood! They don’t build TV shows in this format, or outside this format without her. It’s not about metrics, or how many butts someone can put in seats, because she’s going to do that. She may not be as loud as I am, but she’s going to keep using her platform to make a difference, to keep bringing women onstage with her.”

and this part just made me sad

“She’s always been here to compete,” Mabe recalls. “Anywhere we went right after she came off the show, there’d be 300 people, all wanting autographs. When she couldn’t sign them all, the names they’d call her. At the [2005] CMAs in New York, some of the other artists [weren’t friendly]. But Carrie just went in the bathroom, threw up, came out and crushed her minute-thirty – and we went on to sell 8 million records!”

That also made me sad. She has had to overcome so much. But it has made her the artist she is today and I suppose why she is so supportive of young women in country.

thaifood

You would never have guessed what happened at the CMA's 2005 when you saw Carrie perform and present that award! She is so strong and professional!
It doesn't surprised me either, just remember that Wynonna called her vanilla at the CMT's the year after.

Everyone that has taken that kind of attitude towards her has ended up with the bad end of the stick. Where is Wynonna, where is Gretchen Wilson, for that matter where are Leann Rimes & Martina McBride? While they all strive to keep the female competition down, Carrie does the opposite & comes out on top every time.

FanSince04

Everyone that has taken that kind of attitude towards her has ended up with the bad end of the stick. Where is Wynonna, where is Gretchen Wilson, for that matter where are Leann Rimes & Martina McBride? While they all strive to keep the female competition down, Carrie does the opposite & comes out on top every time.

I know Wynona called her vanilla, but what do you mean Gretchen Wilson? I’ve never heard that she called Carrie anything. Also, what do you mean Leann and Martina strive to keep the competition down? I’m honestly curious.

adam1995

Great to read that most of the tour is sold out! And this coming from the tour tracker (Pollstar), so it should be accurate.

One part that stood out to me is Carrie will be closing out the show with Love Wins like she did on the last tour with Something in the Water. This statement makes me think she has been the one behind using Love Wins as a single, on the Breakthrough soundtrack, and pushing for it even though it didn’t do as well as other singles/other songs could’ve done.

I thought the exact same thing. I’m excited to see how Love Wins closes the show. I think it’s a lovely message to send people off with.

sco

I know Wynona called her vanilla, but what do you mean Gretchen Wilson? I’ve never heard that she called Carrie anything. Also, what do you mean Leann and Martina strive to keep the competition down? I’m honestly curious.

At the risk of debating ancient history the Wynona controversy was a misunderstanding that she immediately apologized for. There were undoubtedly some other performers that were resentful but Carrie has earned respect 100 times over and is lending a hand to the women following in her footsteps. You’ve got to love that. Great article.

FanSince04

At the risk of debating ancient history the Wynona controversy was a misunderstanding that she immediately apologized for. There were undoubtedly some other performers that were resentful but Carrie has earned respect 100 times over and is lending a hand to the women following in her footsteps. You’ve got to love that. Great article.

You’re fine! Whether she apologized or not, Wynona still said it. That is what I meant by I knew about Wynona. What did others do? That was my question. You’re absolutely right what matters is Carrie is helping other women and doing a fantastic job!

sco

You’re fine! Whether she apologized or not, Wynona still said it. That is what I meant by I knew about Wynona. What did others do? That was my question. You’re absolutely right what matters is Carrie is helping other women and doing a fantastic job!

I honestly don’t remember the details. As I recall Martina was a little snippy that reporters kept asking her about Carrie ( my take on that is she was more annoyed with the press than Carrie). I have no idea what Cindy Mabe was referring to and we’ll probably never know.

mbh

I LOVE "Love Wins". I am still listening to it. But, during Storyteller Tours and during the Finale of American Idol, Something In The Water is a powerful belt at heart from Carrie with full of emotion (And it is full voice with some mixture at the middle). I hope the LAST three songs will be Before He Cheats/Cry Pretty/Love Wins. Great article. Additional admiration for Carrie. Carrie is already a legend, in my opinion.

_luvqry

When Carrie won her first CMA EOTY and we had the Faith Hill "what" moment, Leann twitted something like "it's all politics" and "Carrie hasn't paid her dues", in defense of Faith. Later on when Faith said it was a joke, Leann deleted her tweets.

But as Mariah says "we loooooooove everybody so let's stick with positive". I was a fan of Trisha and she sent flowers to Carrie the night she debuted at the Opry. I prefer to think about that.