Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie's Cry Pretty album will be more raw.

LilUnderwood

I’m looking forward toward to this new side of her! I feel like she was will have more personal ownership on these songs and this album as a whole. It will be like she is sharing a personal side of her to us that maybe we haven’t totally seen yet and I can’t wait!

Farawayhills

Taking on the co-producer role is a natural progression - earlier snippets have suggested that she's long taken a degree of active participation. Taking gradual steps towards the fully acknowledged role was a good way to learn and build confidence - but I've long expected it to come at some point.

It's interesting that Carrie says that her writing for this album was quite widely spaced, with gaps in between. That may imply that she drew inspiration from a number of different moods and aspects of her recent experiences, and the resulting songs might be quite varied in feel.

I'm not sure whether we've already discussed her co-producer, David Garcia. He won a production Grammy in 2014, in the Contemporary Christian album field, for Mandisa's "Overcomer" (which he co-produced with several others). In Country, he co-produced (with the artist) four tracks on Kip Moore's 2017 album "Slowheart".
He also plays drums, keyboards and guitar on Bebe Rexha's "Meant To Be", which he co-wrote - and is sometimes said to have co-produced that as well (though if he did, it was not credited as such under his own name)

pklongbeach

Raw can mean different things to different people. For me raw can mean something as simple as ITYS which was a simple open throated example of Carries natural singing voice. The word raw makes me think of a song like Mama's Shoes (my title not hers) in that the production was simple crude and took a back seat to the story the vocalist was telling. So again, not a loud cruchy raw sound but a simpler uncluttered sound.
I hope raw means more LAM and less LN.

Farawayhills

Well, as Patrick says, "raw" can mean different things to people - and I, personally, would have to say that that style doesn't come to my mind when I think of that word (nor when I listen to CP, which I hear as one of Caerrie's most raw songs yet, in both its opening and substantial last third.)

I'd be happy with one or two more tracks in the softer, more structured, introspection style of "Look At Me" - but I don't get the impression that that is very close to what Carrie was referring to in the Tennessean article (nor that it would be likely to predominate on the new album)
That song was written by Jim Collins and Paul Overstreet - and the style was pretty popular in Country, but, I feel, mainly in the era preceding Carrie's rise (which, along with what seems to be her main concert style today, I see as another reason why, if she revived it, it would only be likely to be for an occasional album track. That said, such a song would be an interesting addition to her repertoire, and could win new fans.

For those who share that hope, these are a couple of other examples involving those writers:

Jim Collins (interestingly, this song did actually overlap Carrie's emergence, coming in about 2006, I think - but it was a rather late example of the type)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6rQ61lI3A

Paul Overstreet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SCOimBo5tg

Of those, I personally, would find the Gretchen Wilson example the most "raw" - mainly because of what I hear of greater spontaneity in the characterization. and because her pauses and prolonging of notes make it sound less structured. (It is live, in that video, which gives it an advantage, but it's similar to the album version). To my ears, the Carrie example and the Alison Krauss example (which are both, incidentally, revivals of originally male recorded versions, which may have influenced the interpretation) both sound to me more planned, and more precisely structured - so, while I love them both as songs, and as vocal deliveries, I wouldn't tend to think of describing them in terms of being so "raw".

rainbow1

Love the song by Gretchen, Faraway. I never listened to her much, but just accidentally, heard her sing "I"d love to be your last"! Just loved it and had to have it on my ipod!!

Smokyiiis

Love the song by Gretchen, Faraway. I never listened to her much, but just accidentally, heard her sing "I"d love to be your last"! Just loved it and had to have it on my ipod!!
Oh I have that one too! How funny we should both have included it!