Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christina Aguilera goofs up the national anthem

diva101

Video: Christina Aguilera goofs up the national anthem - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

Aguilera tried to make up for it by combining two lines -- "What so proudly we watched," instead of "What so proudly we hailed", but let's just say that it was too late to reverse the error. Twitter blew up, and all Aguilera could do was to oversing every word from there on out, which she most certainly did.

OUCH! well, I'm not a fan of her singing US' national anthem always. she always do those runs and something.... She should have taken notes from Carrie, cause Carrie always sings them simply yet elegant :)

robinannhunt

She did it live beause Carrie Underwood can doit live. She was horrible even if she got the words right! Too much production for a simple and wonderful song. I couldn't even listen to it for long. Never got to the word goof.

diva101

Well, I think it's her lack of discipline that makes her kinda "butcher" these type of songs... listen to this very specific version of her singing SSB:

(sorry, but I think she made it into a pop song)

listen to Carrie's:
(simple, crystal, no pop mixes or something)

don't get me wrong, Xtina has a good voice, but I think she should really avoid doing something "unique" to SSB =))

referee

That was an awful performance. The song needs to be sung with respect. Why do some singers think they need to add something to the song, the song is all about the founding of this Country and it needs the respect it deserves. When will they learn just sing the words the way they were ment to be sung. Sorry I can't give her a break on this.

MorexLove

While Christina has a great voice, I never liked her "take" on the National Anthem since Ive seen that video ^above.
Just keep the vocals clear, simple and sung with heartfelt conviction ( like Carrie) :)

I dont want to be mean to Christina because that must be terrifying! To have to sing the national anthem, with no backup music or anything, live for like 100,000 (thats how many people watch the superbowl right? Haha I dont really know) must be so scary! But she really didn't do a great job, I could have lived with her accidentally skipping a line, but it just didn't sound good when she sang it. And im not like a patriot or anything so its not like im like show respect to your country! Im just saying you can sound good without turning a one syllable word into a 10 syllable word. Haha I hope that made some sense

AIgrl06

As soon as I heard Christina'd be singing the National Anthem I was like, "Oh great, here we go." She has a good voice but she doesn't use it right. The last half of the Anthem last night was virtually unrecognizable. If she had just stood there and sang the song the way it's meant to be sang (not that she can't personalize it, but it was too over the top) it would've been fine.

allirishgirl

She did it live beause Carrie Underwood can doit live. She was horrible even if she got the words right! Too much production for a simple and wonderful song. I couldn't even listen to it for long. Never got to the word goof.

yup Carrie set the standard for the NA & Christinas was just painful to listen to

pklongbeach

I said all I need to about last nights performance, but the one posted above is a real representation of the problem I have with alot of people who sing this song. They don't actually understand or interprete the poetic words of the song. They turn it into a vocal showcase with no consideration for what they are singing at all.
The first line Xtina sang in this version was also wrong. She didn't even sing the right word cause I would question if she even knew what the right word was. "Oh say, can you see, by the dawns early light, what so proudly we hailed at the twights last gleeming"! Meaning "we woke up this morning and what do you think we saw still standing there, after we went to bed last night".
The whole song is a simple poem to say that our flag, tatered and torn, was still waving after all the fighting and after all the distruction.
Hope still stood in the dawns early light.
I don't believe most of these singers have any idea what they are actually singing.

12russ79

It just goes to show you how hard it really is to do it live! It also shows just how good Carrie Underwood is!! The Anthem is a tribute to our Country and freedom not a tribute to how well an artist can interpret it!! Christinas ego wouldnt allow her to just sing the song so her forgetting the words was poetic justice IMHO!!!!

CarrieUFan1995

I felt so bad especally because everybodies talking about her. I was in school and everyone was like bashing on her. Im not a fan but every body messes up occassionaly. Although this was a huge mistake in front of like 200 million people.

epicamends

^ For me, it's not even so much about the fact that she forgot the lyrics. It sounded awful even if she'd gotten the lyrics right, IMO. Way too many riffs. It's not about showing off, it's about honoring your country, and Christina was obviously more concerned with herself than she was about doing America proud.

Grace_Of_God

haha one of my fav comments for the performance came from the actress Zooey Deschanel, she tweeted, "congrats to Xtina A. 4 breaking the record of most vocal riffs added to the nat'l anthem, she had to cut a few words but it was worth it!"....just so everyones clear...she was being sarcastic hahaha

Pi314CA

I dont want to be mean to Christina because that must be terrifying! To have to sing the national anthem, with no backup music or anything, live for like 100,000 (thats how many people watch the superbowl right? Haha I dont really know) must be so scary! But she really didn't do a great job, I could have lived with her accidentally skipping a line, but it just didn't sound good when she sang it. And im not like a patriot or anything so its not like im like show respect to your country! Im just saying you can sound good without turning a one syllable word into a 10 syllable word. Haha I hope that made some sense

But, she is a professional. If you can not step up to the plate and deliver, then don't accept the task. Christina should have declined to perform the NA in such a huge stage as the Super Bowl.