Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christina Aguilera goofs up the national anthem

allirishgirl

haha one of my fav comments for the performance came from the actress Zooey Deschanel, she tweeted, "congrats to Xtina A. 4 breaking the record of most vocal riffs added to the nat'l anthem, she had to cut a few words but it was worth it!"....just so everyones clear...she was being sarcastic hahaha

:rofl: priceless!

CarrieUFan1995

^ For me, it's not even so much about the fact that she forgot the lyrics. It sounded awful even if she'd gotten the lyrics right, IMO. Way too many riffs. It's not about showing off, it's about honoring your country, and Christina was obviously more concerned with herself than she was about doing America proud.

I agree with you. Their were to many riffs, and it wasnt her best, but just being their at the SB is a huge deal and if you think that shes not going to show off, especially when her carrer is in the toilet, then idk. This was her opportunnity too revive it. She failed. End of story.

Carrieflattsfan

I feel so bad for Christina. She's proven she's an incredible talent, but it's sad to see so many people hating on her simply because she isn't popular like Keisha, Katy and Britney.

I'd rather hear an amazing talent like her anytime over these manufactured, no-talent Barbie dolls. Who really cares if she isn't popular anymore? Regardless, she's still a multi- millionaire who can probably afford to make whatever creative choices she wants at this point in her career. If she is happy with her life, and is satisfied being able to make music, it shouldn't matter what the public thinks.

Sure, she embellished the anthem and it was over-the-top. That's been her style for a decade; what did people expect to hear? We shouldn't bash her for staying true to her style, just because it may not have been the best choice.
Christina has done enough to prove her talent; I think it's shocking that people are being so harsh. Christina's voice has changed, and I think she's even done some damage to her vocal chords. The fact that she's able to still sing like she used to is incredible.

Yes, she made a mistake. She's also human. I respect her for singing the anthem live, even if it didn't go as planned. I'm sure it takes an incredible amount of strength and confidence to do that.
If Christina's career was still hot, I'm sure people would move on; it's sad this is getting so much attention when there are so many more important things in this world. What has this nation come to? Are we really so self-absorbed that we have to talk badly of someone else simply because she's human and made a mistake??:(

teesharky

I have to say, I would have been devastated if this happened to Carrie last year. People really ripped Christina apart on twitter. At first, I thought it was kind of funny, but then I felt bad.

However, her version was very over the top. She started out so so GOOD! I was thinking, Wow, she is doing so well! But once she messed up the lyrics, she went out of control on the melisma and was way over the top. The second half was kind of screechy, especially the BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE part.

But I heard a rumor she is opening the Grammys, doing a tribute to Aretha Franklin. If true, she can redeem herself.

teesharky

She did it live beause Carrie Underwood can doit live. She was horrible even if she got the words right! Too much production for a simple and wonderful song. I couldn't even listen to it for long. Never got to the word goof.

I think she did it live because Carrie did it live, too. I think she wanted to show that she could do it too.

teesharky

Alot of tweets came in last night, saying Carrie Underwood was so much better. :) So if nothing else, Xtina's performance made Carrie's look that much better by comparison, even with the shaky last note last year.

bigbluegrl23

But, she is a professional. If you can not step up to the plate and deliver, then don't accept the task. Christina should have declined to perform the NA in such a huge stage as the Super Bowl.

ok, im not supporting christina, she made a MAJOR no no, BUT, why would she turn it down? shes been doin this for more than a decade, and done the national anthem since she was little. do you really think she went in thinking she'd forget the lyrics? **** happens
becca T

abbeyjones18

I must be honest: I didn't notice the mistake...I really wasn't paying attendtion...I didn't know until this moring when it was on the news...but, it was way over the top...I guess now I understand why my mother complains when people add runs and everything...

opry051008

I dont want to be mean to Christina because that must be terrifying! To have to sing the national anthem, with no backup music or anything, live for like 100,000 (thats how many people watch the superbowl right? Haha I dont really know) must be so scary!

You forgot 3 zero's. lol! The actual number was an average of 111, 000,000 viewers.

Sure, she embellished the anthem and it was over-the-top. That's been her style for a decade; what did people expect to hear? (

I hate when people do that to NA's but I have to agree, it's Christina... what else did people expect? In fact, being Christina I think she actually toned it down a bit.

I have to say, I would have been devastated if this happened to Carrie last year. People really ripped Christina apart on twitter. At first, I thought it was kind of funny, but then I felt bad.

Christina is a seasoned performer. Carrie, only five years prior to her superbowl performance was singing for small crowds in Chetocah. Just goes to show what an incredible job Carrie did last year. But I hope Carrie never ever sings the NA at the Superbowl again because my heart won't be able to take it. lol!

I think she did it live because Carrie did it live, too. I think she wanted to show that she could do it too.

I think so too. She was in a no win situation following Carrie. People would have bashed her if she didn't sing live and now they're bashing on her because she did. I feel bad for her and hope this goes away quickly.

I must be honest: I didn't notice the mistake...I really wasn't paying attendtion...I didn't know until this moring when it was on the news...but, it was way over the top...I guess now I understand why my mother complains when people add runs and everything...

I didn't notice either because I don't really know the words to the American NA. lol! But I couldn't really hear her sing it because all through the song my Dad kept complaining how awful she was singing and I kept telling him that she's really a very good singer. lol!

pklongbeach

I think on some subconcious level people are responding so negatively because of the way she was acting, not because of the words.
She was behaving very arrogantly and melodramatically.
She acted like 11,000,000 people came out and tuned in to hear her deliever the performance of a lifetime.
Like no thing and no body was more important than her in that moment.
It allowed for the viewer to remain completely detached and see the whole thing from a very external judgemental way.
And if you listened with a critical ear you would immediately recognize that she was over emphasizing, over stretching, over acting, over indulging, over singing, over playing.......and none of it had anything to do with helping people to enjoy the moment.
It was completely selfish. That is why people are able to remove themselvs and b completely judgemental about it.
Unfortunately it was no ones fault but her own. It was ego that killed the beast.

bigbluegrl23

I think on some subconcious level people are responding so negatively because of the way she was acting, not because of the words.
She was behaving very arrogantly and melodramatically.
She acted like 11,000,000 people came out and tuned in to hear her deliever the performance of a lifetime.
Like no thing and no body was more important than her in that moment.
It allowed for the viewer to remain completely detached and see the whole thing from a very external judgemental way.
And if you listened with a critical ear you would immediately recognize that she was over emphasizing, over stretching, over acting, over indulging, over singing, over playing.......and none of it had anything to do with helping people to enjoy the moment.
It was completely selfish. That is why people are able to remove themselvs and b completely judgemental about it.
Unfortunately it was no ones fault but her own. It was ego that killed the beast.

yea, i agree. obviously, none of us know what she was thinking, but whenever she's performing, i always feel like its very "listen to how awesome i sing, and all the notes i can hit." after this performance tho, im positive carrie has a bigger voice than christina aguilera. there was one HUGE note christina tried and failed that carrie would've done effortlessly
becca T