Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church ban on interracial couple!

clarkie

Pine County Church Bans Interracial Couples Banned From Membership | News 24 by 7

Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church in Pike County, Kentucky, recently voted to ban interracial couples.
And when American national Stella Harville – who attended the church her whole life before moving to college – turned up with her fiancé, Ticha Chikuni, she felt “unwelcome”.
She has described the church’s ban on interracial marriages “the work of the devil”.

This is just pathetic! I feel terrible for this couple that has to go through this kind of prejudice in the 21st century!:mad:

12russ79

In this country right now we have the extremes on both sides of the political spectrum going crazy...... Thank God most Americans live in the Middle where common sense rules the day... I'm a Conservative and I can tell you this kind of Bigotry is the result of very small minds.... PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE........The court of public opinion will make this Church change it's policy and come out of the Dark ages and into the 21st century....

pklongbeach

The irony always shows through. "Freewill" Baptist Church.
I fnd it amusing the number of christians who do not realize that their call is to be "christ like".
How do they miss that so often?

epicamends

Love is love, and imo every single person on this planet should be free to love and declare their love for whomever they want.

Ann055

What a nice young man...speaks so eloquently for a 19 year old or any age for that matter...good for him and his parents.

supercarriefan

One would think that in 2011 we would be able to move past judging others based on their skin color. This story sounds like it's straight out of the 1950's. There is so much struggle and heartbreak in this world...why can't we all just learn to appreciate and respect others?
I totally agree with Patrick's statement about some Christians not realizing they are called to be like Christ. Those same Christians fail to remember that they are supposed to love thy neighbor.

clarkie

i'm so glad all of us here can agree on these kind of things.......once again proves the kind of people carrie brings together are truly the best.

Ann055

i'm so glad all of us here can agree on these kind of things.......once again proves the kind of people carrie brings together are truly the best.

Well said...and I sure am glad to be a part of CF - the best fan site ever!!!

Carrieflattsfan

This is just unbelievable. To think that our country is supposed to be the land of opportunity, freedom and acceptance, yet pathetic stories still make the rounds in the 21st century. There is no law that says this couple is not allowed to marry because of their skin color; church is supposed to be a place of acceptance and forgiveness, not hate. It amazes me that so many people call themselves Christians, but hide their disgusting beliefs behind the Bible. These people think they're teaching God's word, but they're giving true Christians such a bad name. God preaches love, not hate. When are these people going to wake up?

That video of the young man raised by two lesbian women just proves the point that so many people have been making for years. It doesn't matter who you fall in love with, what matters is how you use that love, IMO. A gay couple can raise children just as well as a straight couple & there's an equal chance a straight couple can raise a child to be a person and vice versa. These kids raised by gay parents are not going to turn out any better or worse than their peers with straight parents. If anything, it seems likely a lot of kids raised by gay parents are much more accepting and open to diversity than a lot of other people because of the adversity they (and their parents) have had face from society. This young man seems like a kind, loving, and very accepting person & his parents deserve the credit for it. It doesn't take much to figure out this young man has more class and brains than these "Christian" people opposing his mother's lifestyle will ever have. I couldn't imagine having to listen to people try to tell me someone I loved wasn't allowed to be with their soulmate because of the law.

It's truly disgusting we have become numb to divorce, but yet we can't accept that love is love.

Last edited:

Jade_kt

I'm biracial and my parents an interracial couple, who are devout christians. Does this church ban surprise me, No. Just disappoints me as that is why so many people are turned off by the church or organized religion....because of extremists like this. Too many rules, narrow mindedness, hatred and less tolerance and acceptance. The only people that has a right to judge another person is God himself. The churches' role should just be spreading the gospel and reach the lost not banning people because they are different from them or because they don't approve of something in that person's life.

Kizmet311

"Pike County, KY." Is all I needed to hear. Have you ever been there? I have!!! Seriously, that's just wacky and certainly not a good representation of what church should be about!!!

I agree that what the church did was disgraceful to Pike County, but please do not generalize what one church has done to the entire county's population. I'm from Pike County, KY and really don't appreciate it.

Farawayhills

As a side note on Pike County (which has produced some great music), some here may know I'm a long term supporter of the Erwin Sisters (now Martie Maguire and Emily Robison of the Court Yard Hounds/Dixie Chicks) and their friend Sharon Gilchrist (whom I once ran a web page for). Pikeville, Kentucky was where they had their first professional date, as opening act for Ricky Skaggs. Emily and Sharon were only 12 then, Martie a little older.

On the main topic - I thought some of you might like this song by another artist I support, Tonya Watts. It contains a heartfelt Christian message of tolerance.