Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dixie Chicks - 5th Album Era

Momin

Ummm WHAT?!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8517617/dixie-chicks-new-album-coming

This has me so excited! The Chicks are working with Jack Antonoff - he was part of the band Fun. who are best known for their song "We Are Young". He then formed another group as the lead singer called The Bleachers. He has worked with artists like Taylor Swift since her 1989 album, as well as Lorde's last album, Melodrama. I don't know too much about his musical sensibilities except that he is associated with what is known as indie music and the alternative scene. Not sure what direction the Chicks want to take with this new album but I think, keeping aside his work with big pop artists, he will bring really good sensibilities to their country ones.

After doing some reading, I have found that Jack Antonoff has a background in rock generally, but folk rock as well (which might be something more relevant to country). He was in a band called Steel Train.

Last edited:

Momin

I can't seem to find any other information yet even though I was looking through twitter.

Momin

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/the-dixie-chicks-fly-at-20-how-the-country-group-was-always-revolutionary-878421/

While we wait for new music, here's a 20-year look back on their album Fly. Since I wasn't aware of their existence when the album came out, most of the analysis that I read on them was by brief comments made by people on message boards and reporters/journalists in their articles. I haven't been able to find another detailed analysis of their work and the Chicks themselves. But this gives me a very a good idea of the impact they were having at the time of the release of Fly.

I agree with the fact that the Chicks did not compromise on their sound to get more airplay or sales. They stayed true to their sound and that was enough to draw people in. Their personas somehow attracted a lot of crowds.

There is also a line about the fact that there would be no Carrie Underwood, no Miranda Lambert, no Taylor swift without the Dixie Chicks. Taylor's connection to them seems a little weaker but she cited them as an influence on her most recent album (and I did see a semblance of the Chicks' sound in "Soon You'll Get Better"); and she learned to play guitar on their songs. I find that sentence very hard to come by because all our mainstream women are often not named in the same sentence as the Dixie Chicks. Their influence is often not cited. And I find that very sad because they played such a central role for women in the genre. After the early greats passed their times, the Chicks were the most impactful country act. And I think Carrie and Miranda and Taylor came after that.

I wish to read more articles on the Chicks like these. If anybody can give me some leads, I'd love that.

^soon you'll get better is written with them or they feature on the track or something. I haven't listened to the whole song as it's not my thing.

He also produced/wrote on Taylor's latest album so I assume that is where their paths have crossed?

I super excited for this info.

Momin

The Dixie Chicks feature on fiddle, banjo and background vocals on Soon You'll Get Better.

Farawayhills

I have seen some information about the new album, which is said to originate from a credible contact with industry knowledge. I'll pass this on for those interested - but with the warning that I have not spoken to this person myself, and do not know how reliable their information might be. For what it's worth, these are the main supposed points:

1. As well as producer Jack Antonoff (already announced), Diane Martell, a director with a strong reputation in the Pop world, is involved in making videos (two are said to have already been shot), and in giving the Chicks a new makeover image.
2. The album is almost finished, but they are still working on possible bonus tracks
3, A documentary on the Chicks is also planned to coincide with, or follow, the album tour
4. Sony have plans to market the album heavily to Pop radio and VH1
5. However, they will still classify it as Country. as they are said to see that as the more important route for a high initial Billboard chart placing
6. Country radio stations are said to have shown initial interest in demos of potential singles
7. One song is said to address the issue of sexual assault
8. The insider contact compares the overall sound to be most similar to the "Fly" album
9. She also says that Martie and Emily have more prominent roles this time
10 She says there are significant instrumental solos, and plenty of banjo in evidence
---------------------

My comments:
several points here do seem to have a ring of possible truth
- there've already been clues that they are aiming for Pop support, so that is no surprise
- the label strategy seems plausible (experience suggests that Pop crossovers seldom work unless they heavily commit to promoting to the sector; but manipulating releases and classifications with an eye to a headline grabbing high debut is another potential label priority)
- giving the sisters a more prominent role also seems realistic. (this was a major concern for some fans about their last album, and seems to have been a factor in the trio's lack of ability to agree about direction in the long hiatus. Natalie has long wanted to go further into Pop, but her one solo album didn't make much impact without the Erwin sisters' characteristic sound)

Without hearing the album, it may seem not particularly easy to reconcile the push to Pop, with a more prominent instrumental role and heavy use of banjo. But (assuming this information is more or less accurate), my guess would be that they will have a Progressive Roots sound, which can aim at Adult Contemporary and Adult Album Alternative . I would think the group's age, background and musical style would not fit well into the more "Poppy" Pop stations (hence VH1 rather than MTV). Roots artists like Emmylou and Roseann, for example, are played on AC and AAA, so there are certainly precedents. As for Mainstream Country charts - I can see a possible big initial album debut, based on the name, the recent strong touring, and the ending of the recording hiatus, But any radio play for singles after that, I would suspect, might only be sporadic.

Safe predictions?? - Miranda will see their concert tour at least four times; Rolling Stone will go mad over the album; there will be a drive for Grammy nominations; Twitter will be divided; political trolls will make a heated re-emergence; Traditionalists will fume, but Wide Open Country and Twang Nation will still find reasons to support it, however Pop it sounds! lol

pkc4rls

I
I have seen some information about the new album, which is said to originate from a credible contact with industry knowledge. I'll pass this on for those interested - but with the warning that I have not spoken to this person myself, and do not know how reliable their information might be. For what it's worth, these are the main supposed points:

1. As well as producer Jack Antonoff (already announced), Diane Martell, a director with a strong reputation in the Pop world, is involved in making videos (two are said to have already been shot), and in giving the Chicks a new makeover image.
2. The album is almost finished, but they are still working on possible bonus tracks
3, A documentary on the Chicks is also planned to coincide with, or follow, the album tour
4. Sony have plans to market the album heavily to Pop radio and VH1
5. However, they will still classify it as Country. as they are said to see that as the more important route for a high initial Billboard chart placing
6. Country radio stations are said to have shown initial interest in demos of potential singles
7. One song is said to address the issue of sexual assault
8. The insider contact compares the overall sound to be most similar to the "Fly" album
9. She also says that Martie and Emily have more prominent roles this time
10 She says there are significant instrumental solos, and plenty of banjo in evidence
---------------------

My comments:
several points here do seem to have a ring of possible truth
- there've already been clues that they are aiming for Pop support, so that is no surprise
- the label strategy seems plausible (experience suggests that Pop crossovers seldom work unless they heavily commit to promoting to the sector; but manipulating releases and classifications with an eye to a headline grabbing high debut is another potential label priority)
- giving the sisters a more prominent role also seems realistic. (this was a major concern for some fans about their last album, and seems to have been a factor in the trio's lack of ability to agree about direction in the long hiatus. Natalie has long wanted to go further into Pop, but her one solo album didn't make much impact without the Erwin sisters' characteristic sound)

Without hearing the album, it may seem not particularly easy to reconcile the push to Pop, with a more prominent instrumental role and heavy use of banjo. But (assuming this information is more or less accurate), my guess would be that they will have a Progressive Roots sound, which can aim at Adult Contemporary and Adult Album Alternative . I would think the group's age, background and musical style would not fit well into the more "Poppy" Pop stations (hence VH1 rather than MTV). Roots artists like Emmylou and Roseann, for example, are played on AC and AAA, so there are certainly precedents. As for Mainstream Country charts - I can see a possible big initial album debut, based on the name, the recent strong touring, and the ending of the recording hiatus, But any radio play for singles after that, I would suspect, might only be sporadic.

Safe predictions?? - Miranda will see their concert tour at least four times; Rolling Stone will go mad over the album; there will be a drive for Grammy nominations; Twitter will be divided; political trolls will make a heated re-emergence; Traditionalists will fume, but Wide Open Country and Twang Nation will still find reasons to support it, however Pop it sounds! lol

^ I pretty much think that with the political climate as it is here now on all sides, what they said back then should sound like small potatoes if critics really tried to be and think reasonable. I read an article the other day that seemed to indicate part of why some things were delayed was due to her contentious divorce that has dragged on now for over two yrs. Her ex wants alimony, child support, and part of the past earnings and future earnings based on income from touring, albums, etc it said so are still fighting over that and a prenup they had. I would think some songs could end up about that lol but maybe not because her ex wants the album held back he said because he thinks it may have verbiage that breaks their confidentiality agreement.

Farawayhills

I've also heard rumours of the acrimonious divorce proceedings. (Natalie has been married twice - first to another musician, Michael Tarabay, who was, or still is(?), Pat Green's bass player. That was not a particularly amicable divorce either, and she made concert comments to fans, implying he was pressing for a financial settlement. Her feelings about that marriage are sometimes said to be linked to "Don't Waste Your Heart", a beautiful slow Western ballad, that she wrote with Emily.) Her second marriage, which lasted considerably longer, was to actor Adrian Pasdar, and they had two children. One son, Jackson Slade, is now in his late teens, but the other boy is younger. Even so, a claim for child support to be paid to the father seems a little surprising. Pasdar has had a significant TV acting career, so his own earnings level was presumably quite high.

pkc4rls

I've also heard rumours of the acrimonious divorce proceedings. (Natalie has been married twice - first to another musician, Michael Tarabay, who was, or still is(?), Pat Green's bass player. That was not a particularly amicable divorce either, and she made concert comments to fans, implying he was pressing for a financial settlement. Her feelings about that marriage are sometimes said to be linked to "Don't Waste Your Heart", a beautiful slow Western ballad, that she wrote with Emily.) Her second marriage, which lasted considerably longer, was to actor Adrian Pasdar, and they had two children. One son, Jackson Slade, is now in his late teens, but the other boy is younger. Even so, a claim for child support to be paid to the father seems a little surprising. Pasdar has had a significant TV acting career, so his own earnings level was presumably quite high.

^ Adrian has claimed he only makes $150,000 a year from acting now but yes what about when he was more popular? And he is saying he is not able to live now like he had become accustomed to with Natalie and says he should be able to. Yes their children are 18 and 15. It goes back to the question on if you should have to and how long you should have to fund a person if you get a divorce. On the one hand Adrian is claiming he didn’t understand the terms of the prenup very well and wants it invalidated but on the other hand he is saying her album may violate the confidentiality agreement inside the prenup so he wants it held back?! The judge has already ordered her to pay his $450,000 in legal bills for the last two yrs (probably a male judge ha ha). I read this all in an article almost by accident is the only reason I know this much lol.

Momin

Thanks for the bunch of information Faraway! This is all very, very exciting news.

As much as the Chicks may start sounding pop, I think their music will stay rooted very much in country and its arrangements. And if the other two sisters have a bigger role this time, then I don't doubt that, despite promotion to pop platforms, their sound will remain intact. Authenticity is something that has been the core of their music since their first album (not that I watched them at that time; that's what interviews and analytical pieces have repeatedly stated) and that's something that will, fortunately, remain.

A documentary makes a lot of sense to coincide with new music and touring because it was such a long hiatus and there needs to be something that gives insight into the years the Chicks were not on the radar. Plus, retrospective takes on the entire controversy in light of the current political climate might also be incorporated into the narrative, and I think that would be very valid.

Whether or not radio plays them (although I don't see any reason for it not to), I think they will do commercially quite well. And even if they don't break the roof, the cultural impact that their return to the music scene would be quite significant. There will be a lot of conversation surrounding the new music, analysis on what their return means, why it took them so long to come back and their legacy. Of course, political commentary will certainly be a part of it. And I'm looking forward to that time!

I think it would be a very interesting time for them to come out with new music since The Highwomen are making quite an impact on the music scene right now. A lot of conversation is taking place on what their existence means for music and women and equality in the industry. Runaway June are the first female group to have a Top 5 hit since the Dixie Chicks. Hailey Whitters' recent interview with Billboard about her new EP specifically mentions the Dixie Chicks as a career influence. I can't recall many other recent mentions but they have been frequently quoted in recent times.

Your personal opinions of the subsequent events of their new music are very on point! I fully agree with you. It's amusing and sad and silly all at the same time, to me.

Farawayhills

Based on reports of a Podcast involving Natalie, the album title will be "Gaslighter". (I didn't hear the Podcast myself, but it seems there were suggestions that the album might not be released before 2020. That does not seem to be definite, and release dates tend to depend quite a bit on on the record label's promotional decisions).

I had to look up the term "gasighter" - it seems to be a term used in psychology to refer to abusers who try to discredit complainants by saying that they are lying, exaggerating, or experiencing false memories. There is said to be a song about sexual abuse on the album, and the title may be referring to that.

Momin

Based on reports of a Podcast involving Natalie, the album title will be "Gaslighter". (I didn't hear the Podcast myself, but it seems there were suggestions that the album might not be released before 2020. That does not seem to be definite, and release dates tend to depend quite a bit on on the record label's promotional decisions).

I had to look up the term "gasighter" - it seems to be a term used in psychology to refer to abusers who try to discredit complainants by saying that they are lying, exaggerating, or experiencing false memories. There is said to be a song about sexual abuse on the album, and the title may be referring to that.

Gaslighting is a term that has started being frequently used only in recent times to describe this kind of behaviour. It is has been very important in identifying abusers/manipulators since it's a recurring pattern. To paraphrase this definition, gaslighting is like cutting someone with a knife, and saying "you're making a mountain out of a molehill" when the person cries.

I think the theme/feeling might go beyond just the song about sexual abuse. I believe the Chicks felt gaslit during the entire controversy where they were literally bullied for having a valid reaction to a particular situation, and then were also expected to not say anything back.

Plus, a few years ago, I remember the Chicks mentioning in an interview that the reason they don't want to return to country music is because it's like returning to an abusive husband. Keeping that quote in mind, the title makes absolute sense.

clh_hilary

That title makes me feel like it could be another politically-charged album, what with the accusations against President Trump, Judge Kavanaugh, knight Harvey Weinstein, Dr. Luke, Sir Kevin Spacey, Sir Jimmy Savile, Vice-President Biden, and so on.

Although as a whole, Taking the Long Way wasn't really politically apart from "Not Ready To Make Nice", so I guess it'd depend on their promotional campaign and how they want to market it. Controversies still sell, but mostly these days with singles instead of albums.

Regardless, I still like them and their music, even Natalie's solo album. I'm disappointed to see them almost completely erased from the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, considering the fact that they will likely forever be the biggest-selling female country group of all-time. I think they were only mentioned in someone else's minor display as an example among a group of great sellers in that period of time. All the while a certain pop star is basically omnipresent.

Farawayhills

Although it has undoubtedly affected their lives and career in a very direct way - and will always be there, in the background, I'm not expecting a primarily overt "political" album, centred on their past experiences. In my opinion going headlong into that area would be a tactical mistake - the 2003 "incident" and the resulting backlash will be at least 16 years in the past by the time of the new release. Many of the likely new fans would have been small children then, and their knowledge of the Chicks would be based on replays of older songs, and the references to them by today's artists - principally Miranda - who's been loyal to them since her own breakout in 2004, when she may have lost her chance to win Nashville Star by telling reporters she wanted to follow Natalie, in "attitude", as well as in music, and who still frequently mentions them and covers their songs in her concerts; and Taylor - who has been photographed with their lyrics on her arm, and has recently collaborated with them on her latest album. A larger number of Roots artists also support them, and have sometimes been photographed with them, but in the Mainstream, it's mainly younger artists who acknowledge their influence. (Carrie, while she covered several of their songs on her early independent albums, and is arguably influenced by them stylistically, has, as far as I'm aware, seldom made any public reference to them since.)

My own opinion would be that the Chicks would appear too stuck in the past if they made their new album a commentary on their own experiences arising from that "Incident", and would risk jeopardizing their apparent desire to launch with a new image.
That said, I do expect there to be socially aware and potentially political references in various songs on the album - but that those would be focused on today's issues (the sexual abuse area being perhaps just one of those)

clh_hilary

Although it has undoubtedly affected their lives and career in a very direct way - and will always be there, in the background, I'm not expecting a primarily overt "political" album, centred on their past experiences. In my opinion going headlong into that area would be a tactical mistake - the 2003 "incident" and the resulting backlash will be at least 16 years in the past by the time of the new release. Many of the likely new fans would have been small children then, and their knowledge of the Chicks would be based on replays of older songs, and the references to them by today's artists - principally Miranda - who's been loyal to them since her own breakout in 2004, when she may have lost her chance to win Nashville Star by telling reporters she wanted to follow Natalie, in "attitude", as well as in music, and who still frequently mentions them and covers their songs in her concerts; and Taylor - who has been photographed with their lyrics on her arm, and has recently collaborated with them on her latest album. A larger number of Roots artists also support them, and have sometimes been photographed with them, but in the Mainstream, it's mainly younger artists who acknowledge their influence. (Carrie, while she covered several of their songs on her early independent albums, and is arguably influenced by them stylistically, has, as far as I'm aware, seldom made any public reference to them since.)

My own opinion would be that the Chicks would appear too stuck in the past if they made their new album a commentary on their own experiences arising from that "Incident", and would risk jeopardizing their apparent desire to launch with a new image.
That said, I do expect there to be socially aware and potentially political references in various songs on the album - but that those would be focused on today's issues (the sexual abuse area being perhaps just one of those)

I don't mean references to that, but rather the general #MeToo movement type of thing.

Farawayhills

There's an article on "Saving Country Music", giving more details on the Podcast that I mentioned. (The details are not on the contents of the album, but rather on Natalie's motivations for making it)
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/natalie-maines-confirms-new-dixie-chicks-album-gaslighter/

The comments on that site are, predictably, mixed (it draws a very opinionated audience) - but this is probably the most interesting:

"The Chicks always stood for good songs & good stories performed with heaping helpings of stringed instrumentation and minimal studio trickery. Just thinking about where Mainstream Country would be right now of it had gone in the Chicks direction back in the 2000’s instead of the Toby Keith direction with all the overproduced, bombastic, jingoistic, pandering, gimmicky… ugh. Well it still annoys me to no end.
The O Brother soundtrack was blowing minds, Bob Dylan was knee deep in Roots music, Dolly Parton was reviving Bluegrass, Rodney Crowell and Patty Loveless and Elvis Costello and Lucinda Williams and a million other artists were all on board… and America chose bro Country. America chose the grandstanding, reductive, oversimplifications of patriotic Country. and America chose to start purging women from Country radio.
The Chicks are an unwelcome reminder of those times and maybe they won’t ever be embraced by the majority ever again irregardless of Swift’s endorsement but… They. Were. Right. All along. They were 100% in the right. and It’s too bad that their new music will be lost on an audience full of people who will refuse to listen whilst complaining about the current state of Country playlists. We could’ve had it so good."

Momin

^I just read this Faraway. Thanks for the post. I 100% with the last paragraph. As someone who is not a resident of the US and lives far, far away, I think my outsider-perspective counts to something.

But heyyyy everybody. Some new information finally!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/8551173/dixie-chicks-tease-gaslighter-video

The Chicks have posted some behind-the-scenes stills from what appears to be an upcoming music video, presumably for the title track. There's a small clip of the song on this link:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/dixie-chicks-new-song-gaslighter-953956/

These are the apparent lyrics that I could understand from the video:

Gaslighter, you liar
Had to start a fire, had to start a fire
Couldn't take yourself on the road a little higher
Had to burn it up, had to tear it down
Tried to make me crazy, no I'm not crazy
You gaslighted, you're a li-li-li-liar
Oh honey, you gaslighted
You made your bed and then your bed caught fire
Gaslighter, I’m your mirror
Standing right here until you can see how
You broke me, yeah I’m broken
Still sorry and still no apology

I have alsoooo found a video that is a compilation of Instagram clips of various people posting about the album with snippets from various songs. I am super excited!!!

Farawayhills

The Dixie Chicks are scheduled for an interview and musical performance on the Ellen de Generes Show for March 11th (with the proviso that the show's listings sometimes tend to be provisional)
https://headlineplanet.com/home/202...-performing-on-march-11-ellen-degeneres-show/

(Although I have to say the advance clips posted above don't really do much for me, the performance should give a fuller idea of where they are going with the new album. They've changed themselves pretty radically more than once over the years - the only constant feature being the musicianship of the two sisters, Martie and Emily, whose roots lie in Texas Bluegrass)

Momin

I do have to say that their recent YouTube uploads from their recent concerts have not flattered me very much. I feel like these new versions of their songs are too produced for my taste and take away the life that their earlier performances had. I do admit that that comes from nostalgia and a longing for music like their older catalogue. That being said, I like what I hear so far and would love to see where they take us.