Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Equal Rights for ALL citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrieidol1

I saw the "Gay Rights" thread was closed. For what reason(s) I haven't a clue. There was some sarcasm, but there was productive, educated, and informative discussion going on. It was in the right place on this forum, and the fact that it was closed only shows the uneducated and bigoted stance many Americans still have. In any case, I'm posting this, not in rebuttal to the closing of that thread, but as a way to 'try again'. Please keep the discussion educated, reasonable, and non-offensive. Educate people who know less than you, but not through condescending and degrading methods. Be respectful of one another.

This was posted days ago, and spells it all out. I challenge anyone, as does he, to rebut the points made in this nine minute video. Watch the entire thing, and enlighten yourself. Please only post after you've watched the video, as doing so will hopefully help keep the thread on a truly intellectual level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoRG4FPcY4&feature=player_embedded

I'd appreciate this thread being kept open as long as the discussion stays on the topic of the video, and maintains an intellectual level of discussion. I feel this is an important topic, and should have a place for discussion on this board. We are a wide ranging fan base, some intellectuals, some not. I think all here deserve a fair shot to discuss on an intellectual level. I think those who chose not to discuss with logic, in offensive manners, should be reprimanded individually, and for the blame not to be put on the thread by closing it. The ignorance and negligence of others should not lead in punishing us all. In a classroom, does the entire class get punished for the misconduct of one person? No, unless the teacher is ignorant to reasonable disciplinary measures. The individual should be punished, not the group. If the entire group gets riled up, then closing the thread (punishing the class) would be the appropriate measure. So please, people, keep the discussion intellectual! Discuss with facts, not opinions, you have a right to an opinion, but opinions have no place in making laws over others! Therefore, they have no place in this discussion as well. Keep it civil, please, so we can continue the discussion of the most important civil rights issue of our time.

carebear4eva

I haven't watched the video yet; I can't as I'm at work. However, I do hope this thread stays open, unless it gets truly messy.

One thing I'd like to say, is just to caution you against equating intellectualism with agreement. I know that's not what you were suggesting (AT ALL), but the post kinda gives off the vibe that those who disagree with you aren't intellectual.

Again, I KNOW THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU WERE SAYING AT ALL, I just think it can be misconstrued on a casual read, is all.

carrieidol1

I haven't watched the video yet; I can't as I'm at work. However, I do hope this thread stays open, unless it gets truly messy.

One thing I'd like to say, is just to caution you against equating intellectualism with agreement. I know that's not what you were suggesting (AT ALL), but the post kinda gives off the vibe that those who disagree with you aren't intellectual.

Again, I KNOW THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU WERE SAYING AT ALL, I just think it can be misconstrued on a casual read, is all.

I can see that, but there really isn't a lighter way to put it. You know? In order to stay open, it's of the utmost importance that people keep the discussion at an intellectual level. Like I said, everyone has a right to an opinion, but in order for this to work, opinions need to be kept aside. Both opinions in agreement and against marriage equality need to be left out. Often times people have an opinion, and are convinced their opinion is right, and the only right way of thinking. That mentality needs to be "left at the door" as that's the kind of thinking that gets people riled up. The speaker in the video really spells it all out, opinions do not equal law, and should have no bearing in American law. Therefore, they have no place in mere discussions of civil topics as well.

By intellectual discussion, I mean use your brain! Think logically, and think deep before you post. Truly attempt to comprehend other's posts before rebutting or responding. Don't disregard someone's post simply because you disagree. Dissect their post, and address everything you agree and disagree with. That is what makes a truly intellectual discussion.

Examples of how to do this:

"I see your point in this, but, I think..."
"I understand that by this, you say this, but what about...."

Respect and address the thoughts of other's, acknowledge that you have read, and understand fully to your comprehension level what the poster was saying, then respond in a respectful and educated manner. This requires open mindedness, be open to what others have to say, and willing to learn from them, as others should be willing to learn from you. Also, ask questions! If you're not sure what someone means, ask, don't assume you know.

I realize that this has become a lesson in debating, but if that's what this thread needs to stay civil, I see nothing wrong.

Lstname89

It really would be nice to keep and open thread for news and discussion, rather then only being able to discuss such things in the "LGBT Group".

Everyone has an opinion, and I don't get why everything is so strictly moderated.

Not getting my hopes up about this being:

A- Civilized
B- Educated
C- Not related to politics or religion
D- Kept open for more then a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.