Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guns N' Roses

nannygirl

I really liked that one song you sent me about Axl's dog. And that 10 minute one you made me listen to from your countdown. :)

allamericangirl8

Hey, I was gonna make you listen to There Was A Time, wasn't I? :p

Which "You're Crazy" did you listen to that one time? Because the acoustic one is beast.

nannygirl

I don't think it was acoustic...

I also really like all of the Guns N' Roses songs that are overplayed on classic rock stations like Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, November Rain, etc. :p

allamericangirl8

Of all the overplayed songs, I think November Rain is the best. I get the chills whenever Axl sings, "If we could take the time to lay it on the line, I could rest my head just knowin' that you were mine, all mine..." And Slash's solos are other-worldly. I remember when I first heard the song when I was in diapers, I was completely convinced it was the best song ever written. I didn't know what an opinion was back then, but I thought it was obviously factual. Even though I wasn't much of a fan of the band, November Rain just got me. I also used to really love Don't Cry. Now I prefer the other Don't Cry.

epicamends

Okay, Nicole. I'm going to listen to GNR tonight (right after The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are over. :p). Starting from the beginning and working my way to the present. I won't get through it all for a little bit, though. haha. But since you know Nirvana so well, I feel I should know GNR better. ;)

allamericangirl8

JESS, I'm proud. :) Appetite For Destruction is pretty perfect, if you ask me, so if you don't like the debut, I don't really know what to say haha. Not a bad song on there. And it has Rocket Queen!<3

This is going to be a long night for me! I am about to give G N' R Lies a listen lol.

I have to go to bed right now. :(

I'd say my ranking of GN'R Lies songs would be something like...

1. One in a Million
2. Move to the City
3. You're Crazy
4. Patience
5. Mama Kin
6. Reckless Life
7. Nice Boys
8. Used to Love Her

Though 4, 5, and 6 jump around a lot depending on my mood. But the top 3 is pretty rigid, man. I mean, OIAM is perfect, Move to the City is such a fun song with Duff's big band brothers and all, and You're Crazy has insane vocals. And the lyric change in You're Crazy is one of my favorite GN'R moments ("Said boy, where ya comin' from, where'd ya get that point of view?/When I was younger... I KNEW A MOTHERF*CKER LIKE YOU").

Cps235

I'm nervous to listen to One in a Million, considering all the things I've heard about that song. lol

Yeah, it is a tough song to listen through if you don't understand where Axl is coming from. So, as a beginner, I would refrain from listening to that song for now, haha :)

allamericangirl8

Yeah, it is a tough song to listen through if you don't understand where Axl is coming from. So, as a beginner, I would refrain from listening to that song for now, haha :)

Yeah, you have to put a context to that song. Think of a small town white boy stepping off the Greyhound bus into LA for the first time. Major culture shock. I remember going to kindergarten and looking around and thinking, "Why are there so many Mexicans here?" We've all had the feeling, and One in a Million is one of the most honest songs I've ever heard. It's the first song I've heard where it says, "Yeah, I've felt racist/homophobic/xenophobic before, and it's okay because I'm human." We all have. It's just that we all get over it like we should.

Also think of the time it was written. Duff likens it to what society had become under the Reagan administration. xD

allamericangirl8

I'm relistening to every album and ranking them in order of my favorites.

Here's the Appetite list:

1. Rocket Queen
2. Nightrain
3. It's So Easy
4. Think About You
5. My Michelle
6. Welcome to the Jungle
7. Mr. Brownstone
8. Sweet Child O' Mine
9. Out ta Get Me
10. Paradise City
11. Anything Goes
12. You're Crazy

Funny how You're Crazy is at the bottom of this list and near the top on the Lies list. :p I just think acoustic suits it way better.

Since I already ranked Lies, I think I'll go give UYI1 a spin.

Jess, if you're still listening to their whole discography... skip "The Spaghetti Incident?" It's just a bunch of half-arsed punk covers, although it does have some really neat songs (Human Being, Ain't It Fun, Black Leather, Hair of the Dog, Buick Mackane).

allamericangirl8

So I enjoyed Right Next Door to Hell way more than I ever had. I don't know why haha. And it wasn't just because the lyrics are cool and that "F*ck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, b!tch" part is awesome. I enjoyed the whole thing this time. That's weird for me.

I also enjoyed Live and Let Die more than usual. I was anticipating wanting to, like, skip it or something, because I'm so against it being a staple in GN'R's setlist. I resent it. It's a waste of space cover that could be thrown out and replaced with, I don't know, IRS? Perfect Crime? Oh My God? Double Talkin' Jive? Catcher? Pretty Tied Up? Dead Horse? However, I really enjoyed it. I still love the overall message, and it's a beast of a cover, cover or not.

I'm a hypocrite, though, because I want their cover of the Rod Stewart song "Sailing" to return. Just listen to Axl on it! He owns that song.

Back Off B!tch also surprised me. I always knew I found the song catchy, but I appreciate it a lot more. I even like it more than You Ain't the First! I think my appreciation for You Ain't the First is waning a bit. For shame.

Every time I listen to The Garden, I think about how underrated this song is. People always say it's among the weakest songs on the UYI albums, and that it should've been left off. They're crazy! The song never had to grow on me. It's always been among my favorites. I don't get it. There ain't a thing wrong with it. The atmosphere is amazing, Axl's vocals, Alice's part.<3 It's like Led Zeppelin meets early metal. I love it. Maybe they're just not metal fans or something. But it's not that metal. Just sort of. Like a love child or something. And Slash's guitar solo is crazy. This song is all atmosphere, and the atmosphere just can't be topped by hardly any other songs. I can't think of any better atmosphere in any song at the moment. But maybe it's because I'm still listening to The Garden right now. xD You know, even my sister likes this song. And she's... not much of a Guns N' Roses fan. She thinks Slash is the most overrated guitarist on the planet. Maybe he is. But he still solos amazingly. She prefers Chinese Democracy lol. I think she just likes it because she likes Buckethead and dislikes Slash...

Don't Damn Me has the best GN'R lyrics ever, hands-down.

Bad Apples is growing on me so, so much. It might pass up, dare I say, Perfect Crime if it keeps up this upward trajectory. Maybe even The Garden or Don't Damn Me. It's just so groovy. I can't believe I used to think this was the worst GN'R song. I fail.

1. Coma
2. November Rain
3. Dead Horse
4. Don't Damn Me
5. The Garden
6. Perfect Crime
7. Bad Apples
8. Garden of Eden
9. Don't Cry
10. Double Talkin' Jive
11. Bad Obsession
12. Dust N' Bones
13. Back Off B!tch
14. You Ain't the First
15. Live and Let Die
16. Right Next Door to Hell

There really isn't a bad song on the record. It was difficult ranking those songs! Well, except the top 3 or so. But seriously, you can't go wrong with a single song.

Here's my evaluation on UYI2.

I don't know why, but the "What we've got here is failure to communicate" got me really excited. Like, "Oh hell yeah, Civil freaking War!" Such great lyrics, man. I remember when I wasn't such a big Guns N' Roses fan and I heard this song and was just blown away. And then the song started coming on every time I turned my radio on. Ah, such fond memories attached to this song.

14 Years is my least favorite Izzy song. Still killer, but I prefer Double Talkin' Jive and Dust N' Bones.

I want to hate Get in the Ring for being so immature, but it's just so bad@ss and hilarious. Wanna antagonize me, motherf*cker? Antagonize me, motherf*cker. Get in the ring, motherf*cker and I'll kick your p*ssy little @ss, punk! Haha classic.

Breakdown's lyrics are almost as good as Don't Damn Me's, and they're some of my all-time favorites.<3 I get why people dislike the song (the chorus isn't doing it any favors), but it's so good! The lyrics really hit home for me. And Axl's vocals on this track are spectacular. Also has my favorite piano line next to Estranged. It's my favorite UYI moment, really, that piano line. Yeah, those three things really make the song magical for me. I'd cover the song if I could do it justice.<3

Locomotive's lyrics are super cool, too. I quoted them on Twitter, and someone who I'm 99% sure has never heard the song retweeted it. Just because the line was so cool. And I love that moment when the piano comes in after Axl sings, "If love is blind I guess I'll buy myself a cane." It makes your ear feel funny, like you're climaxing, but in your ears.

You Could Be Mine -- another song that gets me excited. Everything about it is freaking amazing. Axl's only done it justice, like, twice live, though. I'm thinking of the Argentina '93 show and the O2 London '10 show, of course. He OWNED that song. But it's easy to see why he doesn't nail it every time. It's freaking difficult. I love the drums here, even though I'm not a huge Sorum fan. I don't get why this song didn't open up UYI1. Surely, this bad boy would be the perfect opener for two epic records. I mean, really? Right Next Door to Hell? Team YCBM. :cool:

My World doesn't count as a song, though it does make me laugh. I love to show it to people and say, "No, really, it's Guns N' Roses. I'm not lying." xD

1. Estranged
2. Breakdown
3. Locomotive
4. Don't Cry (alt.)
5. Civil War
6. Pretty Tied Up
7. You Could Be Mine
8. Yesterdays
9. So Fine
10. Get in the Ring
11. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
12. 14 Years
13. Shotgun Blues

I'll do Chinese Democracy tomorrow. I like making these lists. xD They give me an excuse to listen to Guns N' Roses albums rather than do homework.

epicamends

Nicole, you're just like Kurt - he made lists of his fave bands and songs/albums all the time. ;)

I'm listening to Appetite for Destruction now. I'll have to pause it in about 20 minutes to watch The Vampire Diaries, but I'm sure I'll listen to the whole thing tonight. :)

allamericangirl8

Nicole, you're just like Kurt - he made lists of his fave bands and songs/albums all the time. ;)

I'm listening to Appetite for Destruction now. I'll have to pause it in about 20 minutes to watch The Vampire Diaries, but I'm sure I'll listen to the whole thing tonight. :)

Except that I like Guns N' Roses. xD See? Me being like Kurt should motivate you to listen to more Guns. :)

Post your thoughts on it! The first three tracks are absolutely killer.<3 Can't wait 'til you get to the last few minutes of Rocket Queen.

epicamends

Okay, so, Appetite for Destruction. It was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, based on what I’ve heard previously from GNR. They have a very unique sound (especially Axl’s voice, and of course, Slash’s mad guitar skils). I just can’t picture a modern day rock band sounding like this anymore – GNR is their own style.
As for the songs themselves, I’d have to listen to the album several more times to really be able to break it down, but overall it was great. You really can’t help but toe-tap along to each and every song. The guitar solo in SCOM is definitely one of my favourite moments of the album (and this coming from the girl who generally doesn't like solos. haha).

I feel like I have to re-listen to “Rocket Queen” to figure out why you were so hyped on me hearing that one, Nicole. haha

allamericangirl8

Okay, so, Appetite for Destruction. It was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, based on what I’ve heard previously from GNR. They have a very unique sound (especially Axl’s voice, and of course, Slash’s mad guitar skils). I just can’t picture a modern day rock band sounding like this anymore – GNR is their own style.
As for the songs themselves, I’d have to listen to the album several more times to really be able to break it down, but overall it was great. You really can’t help but toe-tap along to each and every song. The guitar solo in SCOM is definitely one of my favourite moments of the album (and this coming from the girl who generally doesn't like solos. haha).

I feel like I have to re-listen to “Rocket Queen” to figure out why you were so hyped on me hearing that one, Nicole. haha

Yeah, Appetite's the most cohesive GN'R album. What you see is what you get. It's got this element of pop or dance or something that makes you want to move, gives you energy. That's why I adore it. Did you see what I mean by the guitar solo fitting seamlessly into the song? :p It's a different beast in my opinion.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That album's so infectious that I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.

I love Rocket Queen specifically for 4:04 to the end.

To me, that's one of the best Axl moments ever, and a mighty fine Slash moment as well. As for the rest of Rocket Queen, Steven's drumming and Duff's bass have never sounded better together (although It's So Easy is a fine contender for bass, just for that intro).