Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hillary Clinton declares 'gay rights are human rights'

Status
Not open for further replies.

clh_hilary

BBC News - Hillary Clinton declares 'gay rights are human rights'

The US has publicly declared it will fight discrimination against gays and lesbians abroad by using foreign aid and diplomacy to encourage reform.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told an audience of diplomats in Geneva: "Gay rights are human rights".

A memo from the Obama administration directs US government agencies to consider gay rights when making aid and asylum decisions.

Similar policies already exist for gender equality and ethnic violence.

"It should never be a crime to be gay," Mrs Clinton said at the United Nations in Geneva, adding that a country's cultural or religious traditions was no excuse for discrimination.

Her audience included representatives from countries where homosexuality is a criminal offence.

Many ambassadors rushed out of the room as soon as Mrs Clinton finished speaking, the Associated Press news agency reported.

In October, UK Prime Minister David Cameron's suggestion that aid could be cut to countries that did not recognise gay rights was condemned by several African countries where homosexual acts are banned, including Ghana, Uganda and Zimbabwe.

Last week Nigerian became the latest African country attempting to tighten homosexuality laws, with the Senate passing a bill banning same-sex marriages. Before it becomes law, it must be passed by the lower chamber and then signed by the president.

'Human reality'
The announcement, described by the White House as the "first US government strategy to combat human rights abuses against gays and lesbians abroad", is also being seen as part of the Obama administration's outreach to gays and lesbians ahead of the 2012 election.

The official memorandum does not outline consequences for countries with poor records on gay rights. But it allows US agencies working abroad to consult with international organisations on discrimination.

"Gay people are born into and belong to every society in the world," Mrs Clinton said in Geneva. "Being gay is not a Western invention. It is a human reality."

Correspondents say the new policy could pose awkward questions for US officials formulating policy towards some regular allies and regional powers.

In 2011, the state department's annual human rights report cited abuses against gay people in Saudi Arabia, and ally of the US that bans homosexuality outright.

Afghanistan also prohibits homosexual activity, and the same report found that authorities "sporadically" enforced the prohibition.

In the US, Republican presidential candidates criticised the administration's decision, with Texas Governor Rick Perry saying in a statement that "promoting special rights for gays in foreign countries is not in America's interests and not worth a dime of taxpayers' money".

Mrs Clinton acknowledged the US had its own mixed record on gay rights. As late as 2003, some states had laws that made gay sex a crime.

Earlier this year President Barack Obama signed into law a bill repealing the "don't ask don't tell" law and allowing homosexuals to serve openly in the US military.

hmmm, I don't know I can conclude that those Republicans did not really listen to her speech, are just ignorant, or indeed think that 'not being killed' (the right to survive) or human rights in general are special rights...

bigbluegrl23

good for her. Have you seen the michelle bachmann video where the student asked her what she believes about gay rights? she looks like such an idiot. but when does she not?
Becca

pklongbeach

Unfortuante that the only responce from the right has to be about special rights.
What special rights is he refering to?
Is it not the same right as anyone else? How is it considered special consideration?
The truth of the matter is that homosequality "exists"! Get over it. And stop beating people up over it.
It seems more a special consideration to me to actually ban it. Why go to all that trouble over something that is none of your business in the first place and in the second place you will never be able to control.
10% of mankind has been, is, and will be Gay.
It's time to stop pretending that the world is made up of only what you see in your own back yard.

supercarriefan

This is great, but hopefully the US government remembers that there is still a long way to go with gay rights in North America as well. They need to practice what they preach, and perhaps put some serious thought into programs that will help gay and lesbian youth in their own country. The repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" was a big step forward, and with this news, I think the US government is headed in the right direction.

As for Rick Perry, his comment was ignorant. The Obama government isn't granting "special" rights to people that are gay in other countries, but rather granting them the right to live openly without fearing for their lives. I don't think that's a special right at all, but rather a right that every human being should have regardless of sexual orientation. He further shows his ignorance by the use of the term "gays". Wow.

Becca, I heard about the Michelle Bachmann video on Chelsey Lately a few days ago. She certainly showed her ignorance. She needs a refresher on what being gay means because it doesn't mean wanting to marry someone of the opposite sex lol. Where does the Republican party find these people?

Pi314CA

I disagree with Ms. Clinton. Human rights are human rights. Being gay is a personal choice by humans, and it's a sinful choice in the eyes of God according to the Scriptures. Why "gay rights" need to be separately identified and singled out is, IMHO, ridiculous. This blurring of the lines is occurring all over the place, especially the workplace. This blurring of what one is born as and the personal (sinful) choice of being gay is forced down people's throats. No one is born gay.

AIgrl06

That's fantastic. I think it's great that American representatives are pushing gay rights forward internationally, there are definitely places in the world where this needs to be stressed. I like her wording on this one, it harkens back to the 1995 Beijing conference where she declared "Women's rights are human rights." Having said that we need to do the same thing in America. In the vast majority of the US, gay people can't even get married.

And about Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann... ignore them. They won't win the nomination, let alone the presidency.

epicamends

This is an incredible step forward. I hope this act really does have a big effect on human rights around the world. IMO nobody should ever be discriminated against based on who they love.

pklongbeach

I disagree with Ms. Clinton. Human rights are human rights. Being gay is a personal choice by humans, and it's a sinful choice in the eyes of God according to the Scriptures. Why "gay rights" need to be separately identified and singled out is, IMHO, ridiculous. This blurring of the lines is occurring all over the place, especially the workplace. This blurring of what one is born as and the personal (sinful) choice of being gay is forced down people's throats. No one is born gay.
How can you possibly say that if you are not gay?
You have no idea.
Were you born straight? Or did you choose it?
You are closing your mind to the largest fundemental obsticle that faces gay people. The reality that homosexuality is not choosen. Why would it be.
Yes, it goes against the laws of nature. Yes, it is hugely obhored by the majority of the planet, yes, the old testement levidical law is specific about it (which by the way only proves that it existed from the beginning. And that I am 100% sure you sin based on levitical law as well).
So why choose it. Why kill yourself over it. Why face the hatred of your own family. Why stand before God and beg that it be taken from you and still wake up with it.
You are wrong my friend. And you speak of something you can not possibly know. therefore you speak in ignorance.
God in heaven knows! You do not.
Don't bother speaking of that which you do not know. You end up sounding like a fool and you hurt unsuspecting people in the process.
Bless yourself and thank god that you are clearly happy with who you are. And pray for others. and love them.
That is your calling.
When you stop doing that You Are Sining!

JB172

The Bible also says not to judge but that sure IS NOT the case when it comes to the hypocrisy that goes on in a lot of churches.

carrieidol1

I'm gay but I sure as hell didn't chose to be.
I was born gay, just as you were born straight.

Who in their right mind would "chose" to be bullied, humiliated, oppressed, and denied rights their entire life? If I had a choice I'd be straight, but I don't, I was born Gay and am proud of it. It makes me different. You were born straight and are attracted to the opposite sex just as I was born Gay and attracted to the same sex. It's as simple as that. Trust me, I didn't chose and there was a time when I would have killed to be straight: aka, normal. But I'm over that...

Why would all these gay bullied teens be killing themselves if they just had the choice to be straight.

They say ignorance is bliss, but in your case, ignorance is plain stupidity.

12russ79

Considering under Shyria Law Gays can be executed I would say Mrs. Clinton is doing the right thing by stating Americas position to the world.... As for America every Citizen is entitled to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness under our constitution.... The only debate other then with extremists on both sides is whether when Gays commit to a permanent bond we call it Marriage or a Civil Union... I believe the Supremes are gonna have to decide that one and when they do I'll accept their decision because then it will be the law of the land......

carrieidol1

The Bible also says not to judge but that sure IS NOT the case when it comes to the hypocrisy that goes on in a lot of churches.

The Bible was also written thousands of years ago and is irrelevant to modern day society as it was only applied to those times. JMHO... I respect the Bible and what it stands for, but I don't think any laws, policies, etc... should be based off the Bible as things have changed greatly over the PAST FEW THOUSAND YEARS and the Bible is really no longer applicable.

*not going against your point, just adding to it*

Pi314CA

How can you possibly say that if you are not gay?
You have no idea.
Were you born straight? Or did you choose it?
You are closing your mind to the largest fundemental obsticle that faces gay people. The reality that homosexuality is not choosen. Why would it be.
Yes, it goes against the laws of nature. Yes, it is hugely obhored by the majority of the planet, yes, the old testement levidical law is specific about it (which by the way only proves that it existed from the beginning. And that I am 100% sure you sin based on levitical law as well).
So why choose it. Why kill yourself over it. Why face the hatred of your own family. Why stand before God and beg that it be taken from you and still wake up with it.
You are wrong my friend. And you speak of something you can not possibly know. therefore you speak in ignorance.
God in heaven knows! You do not.
Don't bother speaking of that which you do not know. You end up sounding like a fool and you hurt unsuspecting people in the process.
Bless yourself and thank god that you are clearly happy with who you are. And pray for others. and love them.
That is your calling.
When you stop doing that You Are Sining!

It has not be proven that people are born homosexual. I do not believe that a "gay" gene has been found to support this.

If we take the premise that God is the great, perfect creator of the universe, then he does not make mistakes by creating a being with a built-in condition (homosexuality) at birth. That would make God a cruel and unjust God.

I am speaking only from my finite understanding of the Bible, which comes from an infinite, perfectly wise God. You are right that I do not know as I am a finite human being. God knows and He has spoken through His Word.

Scripture is clear about sexual immorality, in both the Old Testament and New Testament. Please note that when the Bible gives a list of sins, almost inevitably sexual immorality is listed first. Why is that??

Some biblical truths (based on my finite understanding):

- a sin is a sin, not that any one sin is greater than another. I am not singling out homosexuality.
- all mankind is made in the image of God, including non-Christians and gays; and are of great worth to God.
- Christians are called to be ambassadors of Christ and show love, compassion, etc. Thus, many Christians take the position of "love the sinner, hate the sin". And by the way, we are all sinners.

My point regarding Ms. Clinton is not she does not need to single out gay rights as in addition to human rights. By forcing gay rights to other nations, she is imposing her (or USA based on her position) ideology onto nations.

supercarriefan

It has not be proven that people are born homosexual. I do not believe that a "gay" gene has been found to support this.

If we take the premise that God is the great, perfect creator of the universe, then he does not make mistakes by creating a being with a built-in condition (homosexuality) at birth. That would make God a cruel and unjust God.

I am speaking only from my finite understanding of the Bible, which comes from an infinite, perfectly wise God. You are right that I do not know as I am a finite human being. God knows and He has spoken through His Word.

Scripture is clear about sexual immorality, in both the Old Testament and New Testament. Please note that when the Bible gives a list of sins, almost inevitably sexual immorality is listed first. Why is that??

Some biblical truths (based on my finite understanding):

- a sin is a sin, not that any one sin is greater than another. I am not singling out homosexuality.
- all mankind is made in the image of God, including non-Christians and gays; and are of great worth to God.
- Christians are called to be ambassadors of Christ and show love, compassion, etc. Thus, many Christians take the position of "love the sinner, hate the sin". And by the way, we are all sinners.

My point regarding Ms. Clinton is not she does not need to single out gay rights as in addition to human rights. By forcing gay rights to other nations, she is imposing her (or USA based on her position) ideology onto nations.

I just have to comment on the bolded statement: If you claim that homosexuality is a "condition", and question why God would "make a mistake" by giving a person this "condition", I have to ask about other actual conditions. Do you believe God made a mistake by creating those with disabilities such as Down Syndrome? In my way of understanding that is what you are saying, and I'm certainly don't think that God made a mistake with anyone.

carrieidol1

F**K THE BIBLE.

I was born HOMOSEXUAL. Get over it! I know I was, that's all the proof I need. There was no day when I decided to be Gay... I'm an IDENTICAL twin. One straight, one gay.

If God hates me he can go F**K HIMSELF. I'm Gay, and I was born this way. I don't need to prove it.

.I choose that "swirly' in eighth grade because my voice was too high
.I choose to be beaten up in the bathroom every day in 6th grade because I was obsessed with Hilary Duff
.I choose to lead the life where I'm oppressed by society.
.I choose to take a harder path in life.
.I choose to face discrimination every day.
.I choose to be looked at differently because of my sexual orientation.

carrieidol1

I choose to have those awkward moments in my family when a Gay joke is made and everyone remembers what I am....
I choose to cry myself to sleep countless nights praying that God would make me straight so I didn't have to be bullied anymore.

I choose it all! You're right, I choose to be Gay...

It was the smart and logical choice, was it not?

_luvqry

Lady Gaga sang a song called "Born this way" at the Grammy right? I believe she tried to say something. What part of it some people can't understand?
I'm not gay but a friend of mine commit suicide because his own family couldn't accept him. I saw how much he suffered and how much his family humilliate him. Now THAT'S a sin, to regret your own child, brother... Believe me it's not a matter of choice, otherwise he would simple become straight.

carebearcarrie

F**K THE BIBLE.

I was born HOMOSEXUAL. Get over it! I know I was, that's all the proof I need. There was no day when I decided to be Gay... I'm an IDENTICAL twin. One straight, one gay.

If God hates me he can go F**K HIMSELF. I'm Gay, and I was born this way. I don't need to prove it.

.I choose that "swirly' in eighth grade because my voice was too high
.I choose to be beaten up in the bathroom every day in 6th grade because I was obsessed with Hilary Duff
.I choose to lead the life where I'm oppressed by society.
.I choose to take a harder path in life.
.I choose to face discrimination every day.
.I choose to be looked at differently because of my sexual orientation.

This topic is way too controversial. But i think you went to far. Those inaproppriate statements are unnecessary.

I believe in what the Bible stands for. God loves everyone. But does not agree with how we live our lives. You can be "born" gay. But i believe you can overcome it. And live the way God wants us to live. To serve him. But i do also believe its a choice for some people... But agian, you can overcome anything with Christ.

My only thing About the whole "love is love" what about old men whole
Love small children?? Its wrong. But it is love in their eyes. So does it make it ok then?

I really dont want to get into this strongly, please dont bash down on me. I just speak for what I believe. I am strong Christian. I know everyone is not going to agree. Its the internet, we arnt going to change someones views. But its interesting to see everyones point.

carrieidol1

lady gaga sang a song called "born this way" at the grammy right? I believe she tried to say something. What part of it some people can't understand?
I'm not gay but a friend of mine commit suicide because his own family couldn't accept him. I saw how much he suffered and how much his family humilliate him. Now that's a sin, to regret your own child, brother... Believe me it's not a matter of choice, otherwise he would simple become straight.

thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.