Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idol sales from USA Today - 5/11/2011

Pi314CA

Sales figures for all three albums! FOTF gave CR a boost.

Here are the numbers:

Carrie Underwood, Play On (3,260, +18%, 1,996,397)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (2,000, +1%, 7.104 million)
Carrie Underwood, Carnival Ride (2,000, +25%, 3.193 million)

Link: Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

Track sales for Carrie:

Carrie Underwood, How Great Thou Art (12,000, -59%, 181,000)

Last edited:

Gator

It still baffles me why there has been such little inventory in stores of PO and CR. I was just at Target yesterday, and they had ONE copy of PO. I found ZERO copies of CR and SH! Why on earth do they not stock many of Carrie's CDs, yet there are TONS of CDs of other artists of multiple eras? I wish it were that Carrie's were selling out, but the sales numbers don't justify that scenario!

Brie26

There are never any copies of Play On in our stores either! Always tons of Some Hearts, never any PO or CR?? Strange!

teesharky

It still baffles me why there has been such little inventory in stores of PO and CR. I was just at Target yesterday, and they had ONE copy of PO. I found ZERO copies of CR and SH! Why on earth do they not stock many of Carrie's CDs, yet there are TONS of CDs of other artists of multiple eras? I wish it were that Carrie's were selling out, but the sales numbers don't justify that scenario!

agree. Either the stores are doing a crappy job of ordering her cds-- or her label is behind this. Maybe they are not producing more cds because they cut off the PO era WAY too short and screwed us out of a 5th single too.

It seems very odd how this whole album era just STOPPED with no notice to anyone-- and then suddenly there are no CDS on the shelves for months either. Sickening.

I would fire her entire team if I had my way--- except for Anne and Simon Fuller. lol

clh_hilary

The album is old, it's not selling greatly weekly, and the era has ended. Of course stores are not gonna stock it.

epicamends

The album is old, it's not selling greatly weekly, and the era has ended. Of course stores are not gonna stock it.

True, but it seems like it has been poorly stocked for almost the entire era, save for the beginning when it first came out. It feels like I've been hearing stories of people having a hard time finding it for about the last year or so.

clh_hilary

True, but it seems like it has been poorly stocked for almost the entire era, save for the beginning when it first came out. It feels like I've been hearing stories of people having a hard time finding it for about the last year or so.

Yes, people always say that, but truth be told, "Play On" is not constantly the Top 40 biggest-selling album weekly, and she's sort of under the rader of the mainstream audience, and many stores don't even carry 40 albums, and there are always new releases, so it's still pretty reasonable for them not to stock PO after their initial few shipments. And I personally don't think that's the 'reason' for PO to not to sell more. Granted, it would affect first-week sales deeply, and would affect long-term sales to some extent, but if you couldn't find it in a store, you could always order it through a store, order it on various Internet websites, including Carrie's official website, or digitally buy the album. Now I know many country fans do not have Internet connection, but they could still order it from the stores, it's not like throughout their lifetimes they only have that particular timeslot to buy the album in that one and only record store.

Carrielover21

Convenience is key though, if the album is right there on the shelf someone is much more likely to buy it than if they have to order it and come back and pick it up....

Gator

Convenience is key though, if the album is right there on the shelf someone is much more likely to buy it than if they have to order it and come back and pick it up....

Exactly. The low inventory for Carrie's CDs started with the CR era, so it's not just the PO era. Also, some people (myself included) still prefer an actual CD over digital tracks. Convenience and availability is CRUCIAL for obvious reasons. BMR proved this theory when they littered virtually every store, including Starbucks, with SN.

Another interesting thing I noticed while in Target, that SN is located in almost every genre! Not because people moved them -- there were actually allocated, labeld spots for them. Same tactic I had seen used for MC several years ago.

If people are buying for others, for whatever the reason, they will buy out of convenience. If they don't find what they are looking for, they could possibly susbsitute another artist's product. It's sad, because it, in effect, pushes the consumer from one artist to another. I truly hope and pray Sony (or whoever is in charge) does things differently for the Album #4 era.

teesharky

Funny thing. I can find both Taylor and Miranda's albums in every store I go. But there are never enough Carrie cds.

I honestly think Carrie's label told the stores there would be no 5th single, so don't order anymore cds. The new label head seems intent on making everything about Miranda now, so nothing he does would surprise me, nothing.

glenn7

Funny thing. I can find both Taylor and Miranda's albums in every store I go. But there are never enough Carrie cds.

Ditto same in my area. They get a few of Carrie's CD's in and they are gone right away, but it is sometimes 3 to 4 weeks before the stores get a few more.