Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

lizcarlo

Sadly, Miranda's grandmother, Wanda, has passed away. Fans may recall that Miranda called her road van "Wanda the Wanderer" after her, and Wanda herself appeared in one or two of Miranda's videos, and was photographed with her ladies' circle, helping to promote TWOTW.

Condolences to Miranda and Luke, and their mother, Beverley, and the rest of their family

https://twitter.com/randalourita/status/1120707406479134720

That's sad.. Sorry for Miranda and her family.

Carrieroxmysox2011

Miranda looks so beautiful

miranda-lambert-acm-awards-fashion-embed.jpg

rs_634x1024-190407163205-634-miranda-lambert-brendan-Mcloughlin-acm-awards-me-04719.jpg
Really cute dress.

Farawayhills

Although we're likely to need a new album era thread soon, I'll drop in a couple of general news updates in this thread, in the meanwhile:

1. Miranda will receive the Gene Weed Special Achievement Award at the ACM Honors (Carrie also won this award a few years ago)

2. Jon Pardi's new album will include a featured duet with Lauren Alaina, called "Don't Blame it on Whiskey", which is a Miranda co-write. Reports are calling it a song written for this album, but I think it may be considerably older. Miranda wrote more than one song with Eric Church (and, probably, with Eric's album collaborators, Luke Laird and Michael P Heeney), around 2011. Those songs have never previously surfaced - but those same four are the credited writers on Pardi's album track, and I think it is probably one of those "lost" songs.

Momin

I don't know where people start to get a list of co-writes. Faraway, any knowledge where we can get a list of old and new co-writes for Miranda?

Farawayhills

I don't know where people start to get a list of co-writes. Faraway, any knowledge where we can get a list of old and new co-writes for Miranda?

The only way I know of would be to look at the songs registered in her name at BMI:
BMI | Repertoire Search

There are about 10 pages for Miranda, with song titles listed alphabetically. You would need to click on a title to see the co-writers. Unfortunately, there are two major difficulties in using this approach:
1) new songs may not be registered yet, especially if they might be used on an upcoming album (the reason for this is that, once a song is registered, anyone can apply for a compulsory licence, for a nominal fee, to perform it - and the writer may not want it to be out in the world, before she or he has released a recording of it.)
2) of those that are registered, there is no reliable way of knowing when they were written. They do have a registration number, and we can guess that the higher numbers are later (but the number only applies to the approximate registration date, and it may have been written well before that)

Some "super fans" check these pages regularly for possible new registrations - but, frankly, I don't have the time to do that, and I rely on people posting somewhere (usually Twitter) if they've found a likely new title!

Farawayhills

This may be about the last post, before we need to start a new album era thread!

Miranda is debuting a new song (almost certainly for the album that is coming later this year), tonight, at the CMA Fest. It should be around 4 AM (BST - anyone interested would need to adapt for their time zone)

She has already spoken very briefly about the new album, without mentioning any titles. She said it reflects where she is in her life at present, and will include a few love songs. It will also include a lot of Rock 'n' Roll, with a "city vibe", to reflect her love of New York City

(Her husband is, or was, in the New York police, and has a baby son there. They apparently divide their time between the city and her ranch. However, her connection with New York is long standing - Sony executive, Skip Bishop, was concerned about the difficulty of getting her accepted in the Nashville Mainstream, and rang Leslie Fram in New York, asking her to give Miranda a chance. Leslie had little experience with Country, but went to see Miranda perform at Terminal Five, and said she was blown away. Since then the New York media have given Miranda pretty consistent support, and the North East has been one of her most important markets. She often visited the city well before her marriage, and has launched music from there in the past - so I'm not surprised by her remark about the influence of the city on her music. Members of her band have also said that much of what they play would have been called Rock 'n' Roll when they were growing up - but it remains to be seen whether the new music will represent a further distancing from the Mainstream (as we saw with TWOTW)

[edit : according to a Twitter post, the new song is called "Locomotive" - and ""Gunpowder" is tame compared to this which is pretty much 100% rock and she sorta raps the pre-chorus." ]

The Tennesseean are calling it "a Country Punk Rock jam" - (OK, that means I'll be comparing it with Lone Justice - one of my favourite bands of days gone by - it'd better live up to that, lol)

lizcarlo

This may be about the last post, before we need to start a new album era thread!

Miranda is debuting a new song (almost certainly for the album that is coming later this year), tonight, at the CMA Fest. It should be around 4 AM (BST - anyone interested would need to adapt for their time zone)

She has already spoken very briefly about the new album, without mentioning any titles. She said it reflects where she is in her life at present, and will include a few love songs. It will also include a lot of Rock 'n' Roll, with a "city vibe", to reflect her love of New York City

(Her husband is, or was, in the New York police, and has a baby son there. They apparently divide their time between the city and her ranch. However, her connection with New York is long standing - Sony executive, Skip Bishop, was concerned about the difficulty of getting her accepted in the Nashville Mainstream, and rang Leslie Fram in New York, asking her to give Miranda a chance. Leslie had little experience with Country, but went to see Miranda perform at Terminal Five, and said she was blown away. Since then the New York media have given Miranda pretty consistent support, and the North East has been one of her most important markets. She often visited the city well before her marriage, and has launched music from there in the past - so I'm not surprised by her remark about the influence of the city on her music. Members of her band have also said that much of what they play would have been called Rock 'n' Roll when they were growing up - but it remains to be seen whether the new music will represent a further distancing from the Mainstream (as we saw with TWOTW)

[edit : according to a Twitter post, the new song is called "Locomotive" - and ""Gunpowder" is tame compared to this which is pretty much 100% rock and she sorta raps the pre-chorus." ]

The Tennesseean are calling it "a Country Punk Rock jam" - (OK, that means I'll be comparing it with Lone Justice - one of my favourite bands of days gone by - it'd better live up to that, lol)

Oh I am so excited. Cant wait to hear the single. Rock n Rock and some love songs. I want to hear it now lol

Farawayhills

I'll hold off starting a new album thread until we know the album title (or at least more definite details) - these posts can probably be transferred there when it starts.

But this is a fan video of the CMA Fest performance:

The Triggerman on SCM has already posted a quick review, with a few lyrics quoted - he says people will either love or hate the style (predictably, some of his commenters already hate it, lol)
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/miranda-lambert-calls-new-locomotive-song-country-punk-rock/

But the style is right up my street! If anyone would like to hear what the original Country Punk (we called it "Cowpunk") sounded like, this is a classic example, circa 1985:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcl8xx5tPbc

Momin

Faraway, most of what you write on the board are very detailed comments on music and gives a lot of information to which most of us respond in very brief sentences. But please keep posting such stuff because I like to dive in deep into history and overall analysis but am unable to do so (I don't find a lot of resources). And thank you once again! This is a lot of information to go by and I'm really excited now!

As far as I know (mostly through your comments), she explored Country Punk a little on her previous record too, no?

Farawayhills

Thanks for the kind words - I'm sure some of my posts get annoying at times, but I enjoy speculating - music helps to keep me sane!

We don't have complete lyrics yet - but a few points struck me:
--- The repeated chorus line "he gives me wings" is probably a reference to her marriage (which seems likely to be a major influence on the album), but also links in with her flying pistols logo, and the last album's title, "The Weight of These Wings". It also echoes a line in "Roots and Wings", where she says of her mother "she gave me wings".
I take the reference in the new song to be an acknowledgement of her husband fulfilling a theme that's meant a lot through her life, and giving her a sense of freedom from the turmoil and self doubt she felt in the lead-up to the last album.
--- The reference to her sitting in the porch sipping sweet tea, while her husband cooks the dinner, includes a hint of modern "role reversal", and may be a sly dig at the radio obsession with male perspective "good time" songs.
--- The line "I ain't no grand piano - I play a little out of tune" may be a riposte to the obsessive focus on her imperfections, in sections of the popular media.

I agree that there are elements of different forms Roots Rock all through her albums, and that she characteristically mixes innovation with homage to older styles, which were marginal to the Mainstream (for example, Country Funk, in "Highway Vagabond"). In that sense, this new song could be said to fit an ongoing pattern in her work - but it does seem to distance even more from the Mainstream, and identify her with Alt Country, or Americana.

This is the clearest video of the performance I've seen so far:

And there are some good photos on this page:

https://tasteofcountry.com/miranda-lambert-locomotive/

adam1995

I like the new song. Sounds fun, a little different for her, but also very in line with her past recordings.

Farawayhills

I was wondering if someone could start new one or wait until title comes out?

It isn't 100% certain that this song (performed just once, at the CMA Fest, and seemingly with no official recording announced so far) is intended for the new album - which is partly why I didn't start a new thread yet.

However, I do think it will be - even if the final form proves to a bit different. As evidence for that - Miranda said recently that, although some fans ask for her to release individual songs, she prefers to only release recordings as part of an integrated album - even if that seems a bit old fashioned.

If the moderators think it would be best to have the new thread functioning now, perhaps they could move these recent posts to that?