Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Much ado about the Grammys

Naco1776

(An opposing view on the Best New Artist award is that it’s a kiss of death because of the winners usually being unable to duplicate their success following their initial year(s) of prominence. Examples who have not been “cursed” by the award and achieved mainstream success after their win include The Beatles, The Carpenters, Bette Midler, Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crow, Alicia Keys, Maroon 5 and Carrie Underwood.)

Manila Standard Today -- Much ado about the Grammys -- 2011/february/19

teesharky

Nice! I have heard about the Best New Artist curse, and it does apply sometimes. Ie- Evanescence broke up, Gretchen Wilson is not doing much, Amy Winehouse is always in rehab, etc. lol

Thats interesting, I've never heard of that curse, but thats great Carrie's avoided it, shes up with some pretty famous people which is amazing

undrwood9098

Very, very good read.

I don't think we'd ever let Carrie suffer from any type of curse. We're too good of a fanbase to let that happen. :)
Plus, her star power alone wouldn't allow it!

But the BNA curse is definitely there. Like Tee said, Evanescence broke up, Winehouse is never sober, and I'm sure this past month will probably be the first and last time we'll ever really hear from Esperanza Spalding.

supercarriefan

are the Belibers still complaning that justin was robbed? :p

Did you read the horrible things they were writing to Esperanza Spalding on Twitter? I couldn't believe the hatred. I read some funny tweets from some Beliebers who seem to think the amount of Twitter followers someone has should weigh into whether they get a Grammy...lol...ridiculous!

hjj

Esperanza is actually pretty talented who has worked w/ Prince and Stevie Wonder. She maybe was not that well known in mainstream but w/i her genre I don't think she was that much of an upset.

C

cucu15

carrie was the best new artist in 2005 and the best artist now. she will only get better through out her career

CarrieFan928

Lately, the "curse" hasn't really been present. (I couldn't get the article to open so I'm sorry if I repeat something that was in there.)

Most of the BNA winners from this decade have had and still do have success. Christina Aquilara (2000), Alicia Keys ('02), Norah Jones ('03), Maroon 5 ('05), John Legend ('06), Carrie Underwood!!! :) ('07), Zac Brown Band ('10) all still have a lot of success. Sure they may have some album that isn't up to par with their previous work but everyone eventually does.

Here are some I didn't list up there and the reasons I think they're "unsuccessful": Shelby Lynne won in '01 (somehow she beat Brad Paisley and I wouldn't say she was really successful to begin with lol), Evanescence won in '04 (their next album did do well, I didn't know they even broke up but almost every band eventually breaks up), Amy Winehouse won in '08 (she hasn't released anything since her Back to Black so it's not really fair to judge, I guess you an consider her personal life as part of the "curse" but I think it was like that before she won so there's no difference) [she beat Taylor Swift so it's not really the end of the world or a correct representation either], Adele won in '09 (her follow-up album is set to be released next week and on itunes at least it's in the top 10 with only pre-orders, her single is also in the top 10, she won more because of critical success than her commercial success because her sales were moderate, plus the U.S. never seems to keep their interest in artists from the UK no matter how huge they are over there, ex: Leona Lewis, Kylie Minogue) [another shocker here - she beat Lady A]

Esperanza Spalding was never a huge act so it wouldn't be surprising to never hear from her again. How many people that you know listen to jazz? She probably does have a huge following compared to other jazz artists but I don't listen to jazz so I don't know.

Tee, Gretchen Wilson was only nominated for a Grammy but lost to Maroon 5.

allirishgirl

Did you read the horrible things they were writing to Esperanza Spalding on Twitter? I couldn't believe the hatred. I read some funny tweets from some Beliebers who seem to think the amount of Twitter followers someone has should weigh into whether they get a Grammy...lol...ridiculous!

i know! And people call us Carrie fans obsessed! i think i read they they went & edited her wiki page too!