Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pastor Refused to Pay Tip because She's Christian

clh_hilary

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/tipping-pastor-apologizes-687234

JANUARY 31--The St. Louis pastor responsible for the credit card receipt heard ‘round the Internet termed her snide scribblings a “lapse in my character and judgment,” adding that the Applebee’s employee who posted the receipt online was fired yesterday after she lodged a complaint
aloisbell1.jpg
with restaurant managers.

In a TSG interview, Alois Bell said that the online firestorm created by the receipt has left her stunned. “My heart is really broken,” said the 37-year-old Bell. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”
The Applebee’s receipt, which was posted earlier this week to Reddit, includes Bell’s handwritten notations referring to an 18 percent tip added to the bill (for groups larger than six). “I give God 10% why do you get 18,” wrote Bell, who scratched out the tip and added a zero in its place. She also wrote the word “Pastor” above her signature.
The January 25 meal came after an evening service at the Truth in the Word Deliverance Ministries church, said Bell, who added that five adults and five children were in the group that dined at Applebee’s (a traditional post-service destination for church members). The subsequent bill was divided up amongst the parties.
Bell, seen above, said her notation on the receipt was a “lapse in judgment that has been blown out of proportion.” Despite scratching out the tip added to the bill, Bell claimed that she left a $6 tip in cash, adding that she subsequently discovered the 18 percent gratuity had been charged to her credit card.
Bell said she learned yesterday that a copy of the receipt was online when a friend called to say she was “all over Yahoo. You went viral!” In response, she called the Applebee’s to complain about the dissemination of her receipt, which includes her easy-to-read signature.
In a follow-up conversation with an Applebee’s manager, Bell said she was told that the waitress was immediately terminated.
According to The Consumerist, the receipt was not uploaded to Reddit by the Applebee’s worker who waited on Bell’s party. Instead, the server showed it to waitress Chelsea Welch, who photographed the receipt and later shared it online. Pictured below, Welch told The Consumerist she was fired yesterday. In a statement, Applebee’s spokesperson Dan Smith reported that, “Our franchisee has apologized to the Guest” for violating the patron’s “right to privacy.” The individual responsible for the leak “is no longer employed by the franchise,” Smith added.
A mother of three, Bell heads a 15-member church that rents a storefront space. Bell said she has a separate full-time job--which she
welch.jpg
declined to describe--and tithes 10 percent of her earnings to the church.

In addition to her fledgling ministry, Bell has authored three slim books--covering topics like fasting, prayer, and religious teaching--that are available for purchase through an online vanity press. One 28-page volume examines spiritual nourishment, complete with references to candy and junk food. The $10 paperback is titled "Watch the Hand that Feeds You."
According to her biography, Bell “gave her life to Christ in 1997 while she was pregnant and homeless with her youngest son.” Living at the time in a Catholic homeless shelter, Bell recalled that she was laying in her bed one afternoon when “the Lord touched her heart and she invited him in.”

---

And she complained to the restaurant until the waitress got fired.

Carrieflattsfan

That's kinda odd; why would you feel the need to write something like that on a receipt? And why would you complain until the waitress got fired? That's over-the-top, IMO.

I'm with the waitress on this one.

clh_hilary

That's kinda odd; why would you feel the need to write something like that on a receipt? And why would you complain until the waitress got fired? That's over-the-top, IMO.

I'm with the waitress on this one.

What's even absurd is that she's the HEAD of her Church, and the 10% she collects from the members of her Church goes to HERSELF. And she didn't even pay 10% eventually. She tried to split the bill into 20 different smaller bills (poor servers!) to avoid the service charge, but she couldn't do it, so she just downright wrote that remark and left.

She complained to the restaurant because she felt she was embarrassed by this. The waitress uploaded the receipt to Reddit and it went viral. But people actually didn't know it was her - They didn't even know it was a her. She outed herself by complaining.

Applebee fired the waitress for posting the receipt onto the Internet, saying it's the customer's "private information". You can actually see their statement on their Facebook page, along with hundreds of angry comments below each of their relevant & irrelevant Facebook updates.

The waitress is really poor. Servers usually don't earn more than minimal wage, if they actually earn that much. But the government also taxes them for the tips they are expected to earn. So whenever someone refuses to give the tip, the server actually has to pay for it.

pklongbeach

Bell got what she deserved.
There should be no right to privacy when you are trying to insult some poor woman who is just trying to to her job.
And Bell didn't even bother to suggest that the girl did a bad job. She just didn't wnat to tip her.

and you dare to bring Gods name in to this????

Shame on you and your church is right!

tsk tsk!

gaycarebear

I read this yesterday and it made me so angry.

I used to work in a restaurant. Servers can make anywhere from $2-$4 an hour (in West Virginia) so they LIVE on those tips. Even if service is bad, I always leave at least 10% b/c I know they depend on that.

Ugh.

Pi314CA

I take issue with the title of the article stating that she is a Christian. We do not know that. She mentions "God" and is a pastor of a "church". Many of her actions and beliefs is contrary to being a true follower of Jesus Christ. Here are just a few: (1) there is no such thing as a tithe (a tenth in Hebrew) for New Testament believers. No where in the church age does the Bible states any percentage. (2) a pastor should not have a full time job "on the side". The pastor's job duties are to pray and to teach (a broad term that includes protecting (from false doctrine), feeding (teach the truth of Scripture), and lead).

It is the misuse of the term "Christian" that just irks me.

pklongbeach

Good point. I'm with you.
The word sure gets thorwn around alot (cause americans think just cause you call yourself one "your safe"), but I don't see as much of the attitude in people that use the term so much.
You are to be a christian in your "actions".
They will know we are christians by our love, by our love, Yes they'll know we are christians by our love.
(at least that is what I was taught).

clh_hilary

Well and her Church was called the Words of Truth or something...

I don't know if she has a full-time job somewhere, and yes, it'd be weird to say she gives 10% to God in any case. It's like admitting that she takes 90% of the money collected by her Church for her personal pleasure.

---

I'd like to stress that her name was actually not mentioned by the waitress, and the original meme does not have her name on it. People, at one point, thought she was a man instead of a woman, even. Bell is now known by the public as the Pastor who did this because she outed herself by complaining.

There's absolutely no privacy issues there. At best you can say there's her writing & message. But it's being given to the restaurant and/or the server(s), so it's not only not a private message but the "copyright" is doubtful as well.

clh_hilary

Bell got what she deserved.
There should be no right to privacy when you are trying to insult some poor woman who is just trying to to her job.
And Bell didn't even bother to suggest that the girl did a bad job. She just didn't wnat to tip her.

and you dare to bring Gods name in to this????

Shame on you and your church is right!

tsk tsk!

And I mean, ever if she disagrees with the tip being 18% (too high), she should just have talked to the manager on this, or at least pay 10%.

Now, ever if we assume that she was not lying by saying she did leave $6, this bill is only 1/20 of the total cost of the full meal! It's still not even 10%!

pklongbeach

YEah, its not good on any level.
And from a pastor.
I'm sorry. Everyone has a bad day. But this was not a bad day. This was just someone being ugly (as my partner likes to say).

epicamends

So, wait, the waitress who served her isn't even the one who posted the picture online, but she still got fired? Why?

clh_hilary

So, wait, the waitress who served her isn't even the one who posted the picture online, but she still got fired? Why?

Their statement earlier:

"We wish this situation hadn't happened. Our Guests’ personal information – including their meal check – is private, and neither Applebee’s nor its franchisees have a right to share this information publicly. We value our Guests’ trust above all else. Our franchisee has apologized to the Guest and has taken disciplinary action with the Team Member for violating their Guest’s right to privacy."

And then another statement:

"
We appreciate the chance to explain our franchisee’s action in this unfortunate situation.

Please let us assure you that Applebee’s and every one of our franchisees values our hard working team members and the amazing job they do serving our guests. We recognize the extraordinary effort required and the tremendous contribution they make, and appreciate your recognition and support of our colleagues.

At the same time, as we know you will agree, the guests who visit Applebee’s -- people like you -- expect and deserve to be treated with professionalism and care in everything we do. That is a universal standard in the hospitality business. That includes respecting and protecting the privacy of every guest, which is why our franchisees who own and operate Applebee’s have strict policies to protect personal information -- even guest’s names.

With that in mind, here is what happened in St. Louis:
- A guest questioned the tip automatically attached to her large party’s bill by writing: "I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?" on the check.
- A different server, who did not even wait on the group, photographed the receipt, posted the photo online and commented about the incident.
- The guest subsequently heard from friends who identified her from the posting, where her name is clearly visible, and the restaurant was notified. There was no further communication with the guest.
- The team member was asked about posting the receipt and admitted she was responsible.
- When she was hired, the team member was provided the franchisee’s employee hand book which includes their social media policy and states:
“Employees must honor the privacy rights of APPLEBEE’s and its employees by seeking permission before writing about or displaying internal APPLEBEE’S happenings that might be
considered to be a breach of privacy and confidentiality. This shall include, but not be limited to, posting of photographs, video, or audio of APPLEBEE’S employees or its customers,
suppliers, agents or competitors, without first obtaining written approval from the Vice President of Operations. The policy goes on to specify: Employees who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- As a result of her admission to violating a clear company policy intended to safeguard guests, the team member is no longer employed by the franchisee.

Our franchisees are committed to acting in the best interests of guests and team members. This is a regrettable situation and we wish it had never happened. However, the disregard for an important policy left the franchisee no choice but to take the action they did.

We hope this provides you with some additional insight. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to explain the facts involved."

pklongbeach

I guess I am still confused as to "who got fired".
I wish they had made it clear who the server was and who the poster was.
That way we know who go fired.
As it sounds to me, they acted out of haste and fired the wrong person and now don't wish to admit it.

oldyfan

Guys, there are two sides to this. First, we don't know if the Bell congregation knew of Applebee's policy that adds gratuity. Perhaps they couldn't afford the 18%, most restaurants allow you to give the percent you want from your service. My family normall gives 20% or more, but there have been times when I didn't have the cash on me and gave 15%. Second, Ms. Bell has a right to privacy. They never should have posted anything with her name on it. They could have blacked it out prior to posting the receipt. Third, as for the comment that she receives the 10% tithe...probably not. A church is a charity and most likely that money goes back into the church...they have very few members. By the way a tithe is 1/10th of something and goes back to the Old Testament teaching.

The above is in no way a slight to waitresses, my niece works as a waitress while she is attending school. My daughter was a hostess when she was in school. Something I was unaware of until our daughter worked as a hostess was the tipping of hostesses on 'to go' orders. I had never even thought of tipping 'to go' orders. But, once I realized that hostesses put the orders together and package them up to go, I started tipping them as well.

pklongbeach

I totally understand you oldyfan, but I think her comments regarding "God only gets 10%" meant that she was being sarcastic and malicious in her intent to insult the server.
I just think that is a mighty big step to take just to hurt someones feelings.
It is not the servers rule after all.
I understand that Bell may not have none this, but still.

epicamends

I think most restaurants have a policy that adds a certain % of gratuity to large parties. The number of people in the party may vary depending on the establishment, though.

Regardless, I don't think this was grounds to fire the employee (certainly not the waitress who served, since she's not the one who took a picture and posted it online). It would be grounds for a warning, perhaps, due to the privacy issues, but not immediate termination. IMO.

oldyfan

It was unexcuseable to insult the waitress on the tab. As for the firing, I'm not sure. Since it doesn't say who posted the tab the firing may have been premature by Applebee's.

bearball49

I do pay a 10% tithe as a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints....I did previosly when I was a Baptist and I know my Aunt is Catholic and they always tithed so it is not a thing of the past in all Christian churches. I am poor as a church mouse and having once upon a time had the humbling experience of waitressing and I leave a standard 20%. If I can afford the luxury of eating out, than I can afford to give a decent tip to my server. Her tithing should never have entered into it.....as I see it, if she could not afford a gratuity, she should have eaten at home. That tihing is not God's paycheck, it is our obligation for blessings given as well as a sign of our love and obedience. Really a bad situation all around. It is a time when crazy people of all religions give organized religion a bad name, you really have to think before you act or speak so you do not shame not only yourself but your church.

pklongbeach

I do pay a 10% tithe as a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints....I did previosly when I was a Baptist and I know my Aunt is Catholic and they always tithed so it is not a thing of the past in all Christian churches. I am poor as a church mouse and having once upon a time had the humbling experience of waitressing and I leave a standard 20%. If I can afford the luxury of eating out, than I can afford to give a decent tip to my server. Her tithing should never have entered into it.....as I see it, if she could not afford a gratuity, she should have eaten at home. That tihing is not God's paycheck, it is our obligation for blessings given as well as a sign of our love and obedience. Really a bad situation all around. It is a time when crazy people of all religions give organized religion a bad name, you really have to think before you act or speak so you do not shame not only yourself but your church.
What wonderful words. You are wise and generous.
Agree with all of it.
And you make an important point.
Eating out is for some a privilege and probably should be looked at as a privilege for all. If you can't afford it (gratuity included) than you should stay home.
But I certainly believe she could "afford it". It was simply something that she "refused" to afford.
And so, I agree, she should have kept herself home.
We all know and understand that our "tips" are not just a nice jesture, they pay for the service.

pklongbeach

btw, even when I get bad service I usually leave a full tip.
everyone can have a bad day. I should not with-hold pay for it.
But that is just me. I also understand anyone who feels that if you are paying for service, than it should be decent service.