Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quit Smoking One Year Ago Today!

Smokyiiis

Today is my one year anniversary for quitting smoking. I lost my mom in March last year because she was unable to quit smoking. She tried on several occasions but just couldn't ever do it. I finally made up my mind that they just HAD TO GO! They did and I haven't looked back since.

Just wanted to share that I'm proud of myself for finally accomplishing something I'd tried and failed before. My next goal is to lose more weight. I started my program for losing weight a little over a month ago and so far I'm down 11 pounds!

bearball49

Good for you. After my second child my marriage was very troubled and I consoled myself by eating and consequently let my weight gt up to 178 pounds. That is a huge amount of weight for a woman 5" 1". I kept saying I coukd not quit as I could not stand to gain any more weight. Finally after realising how much my smoking was affecting my son, I made the committment to quit. I decided to go on a diet at the same time to counteract any weight gain. It worked...that was Dec 1986......I put my Larks down and never looked back. I lost 65 pounds at the same time and for the most part have stayed at my proper weight since as well. Everyone was shocked that I was able to do both at once, but I m very stubborn......for me it was more about something in my head than a chemical problem. Anyway....it is nice not to smell of smoke or have yelllow walls and ceilings and it is good to know my family is not suffering for my habit.

Smokyiiis

Thanks all of you! I unfortunately gained the weight after I quit and really don't know why. I purposely tried to snack on only fruit or veggies, but the weight just came. Most everyone knows I have a really bad leg so I can't do the walking that I USED to do. Instead I purchased a stationary bike and I'm now up to 20 minutes every night except Sundays. And I still do all my gardening for additional exercise. You are right about the smell on clothes! It's WONDERFUL not to have that any more. And my car! Smells like brand new leather! LOL. I'll get the weight off. I'm a determined person. Because I have a slow thyroid though, it'll just take a bit longer than other people. I can deal with that!

epicamends

Congratulations! I know from seeing lots of friends and family try quitting that it takes a lot of strength and willpower.

pklongbeach

Congrats!!!
Thats amazing.
Just let the weight be a sperate issue.
Try not to tie it to the smoking.
Your quiting and not smoking is the single most important thing you could have ever done for yourself. IF having a little more weight on you is your bodies natural tendency then that is cool. But smoking is a completely Unnatural thing and is extremely dangerous.
Nothing should shadow the decission and that accomplishment that you accheived in quiting.

With weight is just one day at a time small choices.
You'll get it right!!

Congrats!

oldyfan

I quit about 9 years ago. I too am only 5' tall and tried hard not to gain the weight. Most people believe you gain the weight from overeating after quitting, but that isn't the entire reason. Nicotine reduces eating and body fat through receptors. You should be so proud of yourself, the addition is a very difficult one to break. There are times (only for a split second) that I still crave a cig. Congratulations, treat yourself to something special for the one year mark!

Smokyiiis

Oh thanks for the explanation on the weight thingie Oldy! It drove me beserk, gaining while I wasn't eating! LOL

HuiZ

Congrats!!!! That's a huge achievement!

Whatever happens in the future, even if you're ever tempted to smoke again, remember to never ever quit on quitting! :)

jaylee50

Congratulations Smokyiiis and Bearball49. I think two of the most difficult things to accomplish is to stop smoking and to lose weight.
You are both an inspiration. I should lose at least 5 pounds, yet I find it so difficult to do because I lack motivation.