Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7: Blown Away vs. Thank God For Hometowns

Which song is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

allamericangirl8

Perhaps the most unnecessary round in this entire game! Gosh, I wonder who will win: the stormy and compelling Blown Away or the sleepy and monotonous Thank God For Hometowns?

Seriously, I will spit out my drink if TGFH receives a single vote. Hipsters.

pklongbeach

You're so bad allamericangirl8.
You always let your skirt show (wink).
I actually rather like TGFHT.
Yes, it is predictable in the country genre. But her singing voice is just so good.
OF course I went with BA. No comparison.

liveasong

You're so bad allamericangirl8.
You always let your skirt show (wink).

I actually rather like TGFHT.
Yes, it is predictable in the country genre. But her singing voice is just so good.
OF course I went with BA. No comparison.

LOL! :p I love allamericangirl8 !

carriecountrystar

Perhaps the most unnecessary round in this entire game! Gosh, I wonder who will win: the stormy and compelling Blown Away or the sleepy and monotonous Thank God For Hometowns?

Seriously, I will spit out my drink if TGFH receives a single vote. Hipsters.

What happened to the invincible and flawless "Two Black Cadillacs"?

supercarriefan

I voted for TGFH. I love that song so much. I guess you can go ahead and spit your drink out, Nicole, because TGFH has 3 votes ;).

ramb

I love TGFH too. If you're from a small town, like I am, you sure connect to it.
With that said, I voted for BA. It's the best song on the album. I love them all, but BA has something special. It should win this game.

allamericangirl8

^ I think GIG will give BA a good run for its money. I hope WAW overthrows BA, though, because WAW is Carrie's best co-write to date (aside from TBC).

Omg. I just realized that when I create Round 8 Blown Away vs Good in Goodbye, it'll be the day after I saw Iron Maiden for the third time!

Cps235

Nicole is so mean! TGFH all the way! Thank God For Hometowns is so beautiful and nostalgic. Although, I did vote for Blown Away just because the video is still stuck in my head :p

Farawayhills

Although, in my view, TGFH isn't one of the strongest songs on the album, I do like it.
I don't find it "sleepy and monotonous" at all - though what I feel does rather let it down is the music. It comes across to me as neither traditional nor innovative, and not reaching much above a Mainstream feel. What saves the song, though, and makes it enjoyable for me, is Carrie's interpretation, and the imagery in the lyric. It's noticeable that Carrie can change her intonation to match the theme of the song she's singing - and in this one, she does adopt a rather more "down home" tone in her singing, which fits the theme of a return to the singer's roots. This type of song can get lost in a rather forced and phony nostalgia about rural stereotypes - but this one avoids that, and includes some effective imagery. I liked the tension in the contrast between not caring about going back, and the sense of belonging once she takes the plunge and does return. "The county lines that pull you in.."
This song, I think, justifies its place on the album, as one of the "reassuring" choices that balance the more innovative (and sometimes darker) songs.

However, once again, I'm voting for BA, as the stronger song - that has both more musical innovation, more demands on the singer, and a more striking and unusual theme.

allamericangirl8

I love the lyrics. I just can't remember anything else about it right after I listen to it. It's just the definition of unmemorable for me. But I do think the lyrics are some of the best on the album.

epicamends

I don't hate TGFH, but it is definitely my least favourite song on the album. I can see why some like it, but I have never been able to connect with it, and I skip it every time it comes on because I find it boring. It's perhaps the only real "fault" I find in the BA album.

Gator

I like TGFH, perhaps because I can totally relate to it. I grew up in a small town of 3,500 people, where everyone knew everyone. Then I moved to another state, and there were 300,000 people in the city. I enjoyed the bigger city and everything it had to offer. But, there's something to be said for the warmth, comfort and love one has to their hometown, such as I experienced.

The reason BA is such a gem, in my opinion, is that there are songs that everyone can relate to, even if everyone can't relate to every single song. :)

maddkat

Staff member
Love the poll , TGFHT is a zzzzzzzzzzz
easily my least favorite on the cd and I pray it never sees the light of day as a single or on tour