Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sussex Airshow Tragedy

Farawayhills

Shoreham Airport is a small airfield, not too far from where I live. It's sandwiched between some large built-up areas, and passed by a busy road and railway line. It's mainly used for pleasure flights, light aircraft, and some small-scale commercial traffic. It does, though, hold an annual airshow, which features vintage planes, trick flying, etc.

Sadly, there has been a disaster, involving a 1950s Hawker Hunter fighter jet, which was demonstrating dives and loops for spectators. It crashed into the road, causing a fireball, dense black smoke, and careering along the road taking a number of cars with it, into nearby fields and undergrowth. Up to 20 deaths are feared, with some known or believed road users still unaccounted for. The pilot (and only occupant) of the plane is alive, but critical, in a medically induced coma.

Details can be seen here:
Shoreham Airshow crash: Crane begins wreckage removal - BBC News

Although no one I know was hurt, it was brought home to me, because my friend, her mother, step-father, brother, and young nieces were all travelling on the road, in the father's van, and saw the fire ball right in front. Another minute, and they could have been hit. As it was, the father, who was driving, suffered shock, and had to be given massage by the roadside to recover. Also, understandably, the sister, who is the mother of the two little girls, but wasn't in the van herself, has been badly affected. She also found out that one of the victims, from another vehicle, had been at school with her.

I feel for all those affected and their families. Things like this remind us how unpredictable life can be.

Kizmet311

That is so sad. Praying for the families of those killed and for those that had to witness the incident. There is so much room for accidents at these air shows - they almost aren't worth it.