Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Republicans to Ban Critical Thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

clh_hilary

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comme...ut_up_texas_republicans_literally_want_to_ban

GO READ YOUR BIBLE, KID AND SHUT UP: TEXAS REPUBLICANS (LITERALLY) WANT TO BAN CRITICAL THINKING

The Texas Republican Party has published its 2012 platform online and scanning through it, it appears to be gleeful manifesto of pig ignorance and backwards, country bumpkin fear of progress in any form. Whatever it is, they’re agin it!
It contains the following sentence which is going to see them mocked mercilessly for the next week or so:
We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
Well, they’ve finally come right out and said it. In plain English. They want the population to STAY STUPID. That way they don’t question things like why poor people don’t have health insurance, why billionaires need to pay less in taxes and the middle class pay more, how fracking might poison the water table and you know, **** like that.Wonkette’s Doctor Zoom encountered a fifth-grade Language Arts lesson on “Fact and Opinion” while doing graduate studies in the mid-80s. Zoom recalls from memory how the lesson explained the critical thinking task:
A fact is an observable reality, something that can be quantified or measured, or God’s Inerrant Truth as revealed through the Bible.
Examples:
* The table is made of wood.
* Washington DC is the capital of the USA.
* Water freezes at 32 degrees F.
* Jesus died to take away all our sins.
* God created the world and all life in seven 24-hour days, less than 10 thousand years ago.
An opinion is a matter of taste, a view or judgement about which people might reasonably disagree, or a “scientific” claim that contradicts Biblical truth.
Examples:
* Blue is prettier than yellow.
* My mom bakes the best chocolate chip cookies in town.
* Mr. Jones is a better candidate for Mayor than Mr. Smith.
* The Universe is several billion years old.
* Humans evolved from apes.
Red state public schools are teaching an organized system of ignorance, nothing more, and nothing less. How much longer can the center of this country hold when folks who believe that the Loch Ness Monster disproves evolution hold sway over the education of so many of the nation’s children?Doctor Zoom concludes by bringing up the very question that caused my wife to question what she was being taught in Sunday school as a young girl when she began to suspect that the whole Noah’s Ark thing was nothing more thanmythological bull****:
So, yes, think critically, kids, but don’t think so critically that you ask any inconvenient questions, like “wouldn’t two of every animal species on Earth produce so much **** that the Ark would be full to the top within a matter of days?” (Beyond the obvious Biblical nonsense, there’s also some empirical evidence that the particular methods in ACE’s curriculum leaves students less well prepared for college entrance exams than conventional high schools.)
Let us be clear about this: Texas is only against the wrong kind of critical thinking — the dirty librul kind, which isn’t even really thinking at all, but indoctrination, you see. As college-degree owner Rick Santorum knows, too much education will only turn you into a commie and an atheist. Texas Republicans promise they’ll nip that thinky-learny **** right in the bud.
Once those kids start pulling on the thread of KNOWLEDGE the whole sweater becomes unraveled. We can’t have this, can we?And while we’re on the subject of Republicans being more, um, straightforward on things, did you catch the clip of this asshole from Pennsylvania stating the obvious about the state’s voter ID law?

thaifood

This type of "thinking" was proven time & time again every time Rick Perry opened his mouth on the campaign trail.

JB172

This type of "thinking" was proven time & time again every time Rick Perry opened his mouth on the campaign trail.

For someone who was treated like he was "the next big thing and the next President" when he first entered the race the only thing he mangaged to do was to look like a complete fool.

bigbluegrl23

For someone who was treated like he was "the next big thing and the next President" when he first entered the race the only thing he mangaged to do was to look like a complete fool.

this seems to be a pattern among the GOP.
Becca

carebear4eva

Holy. ****balls.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS FAKE!

Like, for real? FOR REAL?

I'm going to pray this is fake....This is appalling! I can't believe something like this is actually happening in the 21st century. Jesus Christ, people!

thaifood

Holy. ****balls.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS FAKE!

Like, for real? FOR REAL?

I'm going to pray this is fake....This is appalling! I can't believe something like this is actually happening in the 21st century. Jesus Christ, people!

This is one prayer that you won't have answered. It is indeed true, unfortunate though it may be.

clh_hilary

Dictators are everywhere and there are always a lot of people who would like complete control over things, but to say it this plain and clear is surprising.

knewman19

oh jeez.... we must remember though this is the same state that wanted to force school book makers to rewrite the books sent to texas to fit their version of history not actual history

clh_hilary

oh jeez.... we must remember though this is the same state that wanted to force school book makers to rewrite the books sent to texas to fit their version of history not actual history

Oh I've never heard of that. What was that about?

On a completely unrelated note, some conservatives also insisted dinosaurs and humans to have existed and lived together.

carebear4eva

Oh I've never heard of that. What was that about?

On a completely unrelated note, some conservatives also insisted dinosaurs and humans to have existed and lived together.

Oh, that I've heard of....The Creationist museum, somewhere in the USA....You enter and you find wonderful depictions of Noah getting on the ark, historical figures riding dinosaurs, babies playing with pterodactyl chicks, etc.

God help us all....Or rather, God Particle help us all.

oldesalt62

You guys miss the point. As Americans we should strive for less and less government as opposed to more and more government control. More government control has failed throughout history. We need the government out of education before they completely destroy this country and our future.

bigbluegrl23

You guys miss the point. As Americans we should strive for less and less government as opposed to more and more government control. More government control has failed throughout history. We need the government out of education before they completely destroy this country and our future.

unless, you're a woman right? or unless you wanna ask questions? then the government can step in like Texas? freedom of speech man.
Becca

bigbluegrl23

That is the pattern on both sides despite what either side and their supporters think.

oh this I def agree with. I was mainly talking about the parade of possible republican noms this year and last. they were all a joke, except for Mitt (or at least less of a joke than the other's). in reality, John Hunstman should have had more face time but he didnt.
Becca

carebear4eva

ABSOLUTELY NOT. A small community of people does NOT have the right to deny children born in the region the right to a factual, science-based education. Tomorrow a collective group of small villages may, for whatever bizarre reason, decide to educate their children that slavery never happened. Or that we must strive to topple the Union. Or that water turns into ice when it becomes cold because aliens in Mars cause it to do so.

Or that the world is flat and that we didn't evolve from apes.

No. No, no, no. A community does NOT have the right to fry their children's brains in such a manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.