Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Guardian UK: Film Blog Review of Soul Surfer Trailer

teesharky

I think this is a pretty good, albeit humorous review of the film. They say that Carrie emotes well in her scene.

Soul Surfer: something for everyone | Film | guardian.co.uk

Soul-Surfer-9-007.jpg

9) If you're still not convinced about Soul Surfer, don't forget that it contains a scene where a woman who once won American Idol hamfistedly emotes at an amputee in a vaguely religious way. Surely that's a dealbreaker, isn't it? Isn't it? Anyone? Honestly, you people are impossible to please sometimes.

carriefan2000

um i cant see how positive the word "hamfisted" can be. and being called just a former american idol winner isnt so hot, but i guess forgivable from the paper since its a uk paper and they dont know he well.

teesharky

I don't care about the American idol comment since maybe that is how they identify her in UK right now, since she hasn't bothered to tour there or even go there once, to promote herself. In some ways, you can't ,blame the UK if they don't know who she is.

I didn't take the word hamfisted as negative, but maybe I was wrong? How did you interpret that, in the context of the article?

abbeyjones18

I just had to look it up, especially since I have never heard of the word hamfisted before: Hamfisted | Define Hamfisted at Dictionary.com.

Anyway, Carrie won Idol, and will always be connected to it. I don't mind seeing "Former American Idol Winner", because that's who she is, but the thing is that she is so much more than that now...she's more grown up, so I understand why some might not like seeing "Former American Idol Winner".

maddkat

Staff member
yeah I would say 'hamified' and 'emote' are not anywhere close to being compliments.

Don't care what they may say still seeing the movie when it comes out.:)

teesharky

Ok then you guys are right. I thought he was being kind of sarcastic but not negative, but I guess I was wrong. I really didn't know what hamfisted meant. lol