Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5-7 songs on BA and thoughts about EVERYTHING

countrymusicfan15

The title says it all. What are your top fav (up to 7) songs on BA, and why are they your favorites? And what are your thoughts in general regarding BA (the album). Why is Wine After Whiskey so brilliant? Do you want it to be a single or would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY? Is DYTAM still the best choice for single #3? Is TBC destined to be a single? Are we in for another surprise this era (ala ITYS and MS)? WIll BA be the most successful song (charts, awards, sales, etc.) or will another single be even bigger?
Post your questions too!

Last edited:

clh_hilary

1. "Blown Away"
2. "Good Girl"
3. "Two Black Cadillacs"
4. "See You Again"
5. "Cupid's Got A Shortgun"

6. "Leave Love Alone"
7. "Do You Think About Me"

Why are they my favorites?

They all are catchy and have at least a few lines that are highly quotable everywhere for me. Cupid got its spot particularly because it's the Country sound I had long wished to hear Carrie sing.

And what are your thoughts in general regarding BA (the album).

The highlights are very high, but they're heavily packed in the beginning. And then it gets a little boring in the middle. "Good In Goodbye" could've been placed somewhere else instead of continuing the softer, slower song string. Luckily it picks up very well afterwards.

Why is Wine After Whiskey so brilliant?

Because Carrie can sing. And we love drinking.

Do you want it to be a single

No.

or would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY?

SWISLY shouldn't have remained as an album gem. It should definitely have been released.

Is DYTAM still the best choice for single #3?

I really don't know. I can see very good cases made for DYTAM, Cupid, SYA, GIG, LAL, or WAW.

Is TBC destined to be a single?

Nope.

Are we in for another surprise this era (ala ITYS and MS)?

Highly likely. I'm totally expecting Kenny Chesney in OWT or Brad Paisley with his voice on Cupid. Hopefully not Taylor Swift on DYTAM.

WIll BA be the most successful song (charts, awards, sales, etc.) or will another single be even bigger?

It'll be the most successful song everywhere, and ever, in every genre, released by any artist. It'll be crowned the best song in history and be the most covered song in 10 months.

countrymusicfan15

1. "Blown Away"
2. "Good Girl"
3. "Two Black Cadillacs"
4. "See You Again"
5. "Cupid's Got A Shortgun"

6. "Leave Love Alone"
7. "Do You Think About Me"

They all are catchy and have at least a few lines that are highly quotable everywhere for me. Cupid got its spot particularly because it's the Country sound I had long wished to hear Carrie sing.

The highlights are very high, but they're heavily packed in the beginning. And then it gets a little boring in the middle. "Good In Goodbye" could've been placed somewhere else instead of continuing the softer, slower song string. Luckily it picks up very well afterwards.

Because Carrie can sing. And we love drinking.

Do you want it to be a single

No.

or would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY?

SWISLY shouldn't have remained as an album gem. It should definitely have been released.

I really don't know. I can see very good cases made for DYTAM, Cupid, SYA, GIG, LAL, or WAW.

Nope.

Highly likely. I'm totally expecting Kenny Chesney in OWT or Brad Paisley with his voice on Cupid. Hopefully not Taylor Swift on DYTAM.

WIll BA be the most successful song (charts, awards, sales, etc.) or will another single be even bigger?

It'll be the most successful song everywhere, and ever, in every genre, released by any artist. It'll be crowned the best song in history and be the most covered song in 10 months.

LOVE it!! lol and I totally agree that SWISLY should have been released. But part of me is glad that remained an album gem because it's kinda cool being able to say my top 2 fav Carrie songs are not super popular ones lol (the other being This Time). It's like they are my songs hahaa and not the whole world's...if that makes any sense :D

carriebest

1. Blown Away
2. Good In Goodbye
3. Good Girl
4. Nobody Ever Told You
5. Do You Think About Me
6. See You Again
7. One Way Ticket

Why are they your favorites?

Because they're all great songs and to be honest, i love all the songs in BA album (with TGFT and CGAS being exception, i like it but i don't love it). And yes, i LOVE NETY.

The production is amazing, Carrie proves that she can sing everything flawlessly. The album is great and should've got a nod for CMA's AOTY.

Because of the lyric and it reminds me of Carrie and Brad's OH LOVE.

Do you want it to be a single or would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY?

No. There are more songs from the album that are waiting to be hits.
SWISLY should've been released as single instead of MS.

YES.

Yes. I have other options but all the fans seem to be loving this and Carrie hinted this song as single earlier.

No.

BA has potential to be Carrie's biggest single ever. It's all about timing. If they play the cards right, then it will be. And they have to go full force in term of crossover. Send this song to Top40.

clh_hilary

LOVE it!! lol and I totally agree that SWISLY should have been released. But part of me is glad that remained an album gem because it's kinda cool being able to say my top 2 fav Carrie songs are not super popular ones lol (the other being This Time). It's like they are my songs hahaa and not the whole world's...if that makes any sense :D

Well it's not like it was going to crossover or be an exceptional smash on Country anyway. Actually it might underperform as beautiful sad acoustic songs with soft crystal vocals often do. Like "Whiskey Lullaby". If anything, the single that resembles the closest to it would be "Mama's Song". So you'd still be cool!

Claire2004

1. Wine After Whiskey
2. Two Black Cadillacs
3. Blown Away
4. Do You Think About Me
5. Cupid's Got A Shotgun
6. Leave Love Alone
7. Good Girl

Because they have everything that I'm always looking for in songs: well-written lyrics, catchy melody, and superb vocals.

And what are your thoughts in general regarding BA (the album)
The album has the songs that I suspect will always be my ultimate favorites from Carrie. However, it also has the songs that I really dislike (OWT and NETY - sorry for being such a bully on these 2 songs lol). But overall, a well-crafted album. Carrie took time in creating this, and it shows in the quality of the album.

Why is Wine After Whiskey so brilliant? Do you want it to be a single or would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY?
It's brilliant because of the lyrics and Carrie's vocals. Yes, I wanted it to be a single. SWISLY is a gem, but it should not have remained as an album track. I was rooting for it to be the 5th single off the PO album lol.

Yes. It's sweet and light, which will be a refreshing change from the heavier, more serious theme of BA the single.

Yes. And it is perfect as a single IMO. Majority of the fans seem to like it, and Carrie herself is rooting for it to be a single. Win-win situation lol.

Hopefully not lol.

(This album has more than 5 tracks that are single material. It will be fun following this era to see which they ones they would choose as singles. If the single choices continue to be brilliant, this album IMO has the potential for longevity in the charts.)

Yes, I think BA has the potential to become one of her most successful songs. I don't know yet if it will surpass the success of BHC (that single is a monster lol).

PS: I have a question. If they choose DYTAM as the 3rd single, do you guys think that it can sustain the momentum of the album that has been set by BA the single? Thanks.

clh_hilary

Yes I do. It might actually create the perfect situation actually. "Blown Away" will be smashing on all other formats and "Do You Think About Me" will rule on Country. And then they can go for either something heavy again like TBC, or upbeat like CGAS. It's entirely like the Lady Antebellum "Need You Now"-"American Honey" or Taylor Swift "Love Story"-"White Horse" situation if you think about it.

judes

1.Blown Away - just a ripping great song, well written, great singing and production
2.Forever Changed - so heartfelt, it just moved me and it's so beautiful . Carrie's singing is perfection
3.Wine After Whiskey - love the mood of this song,love Carrie's vocal interpretation, good writing
4.Cupid's Got a Shotgun- Carrie excels at these barnstormers - love the lyrics, everything about it
5.Two Black Cadillacs and See You Again are tied for 5th place - Cadillacs is a great story song and creatively different and See You Again is one of those perfect Carrie inspirationals that just grabs at your emotions, love the ooh oohs
6.Leave Love Alone

I do think that Blown Away will be the biggest song this era. When the album came out people were requesting it at radio and radio was spinning it , same happened to BHC - it was also doing great at ITunes. I certainly had a huge favorable reaction to it - it's unique, great story, well written and Carrie crowned it with amazing vocals and her insistence with Mark as to how she wanted the production to be.

Last edited:

Marie2011

In random order
1.Blown Away
2.Forever Changed
3.Two black cadillacs
4.Cupid Got a Shotgun
5.Thank God for hometowns
6.See you again
7.Who are you

I just seem to love songs that are inspirational, and the songs that doesn't have an inspirational vibe kicks butt; and FC is so beautifully sung that i just had to include it in my top 7

It is awesome but i don't see why everybody just seems to love DYTAM and seems to hate NETY

Why is Wine After Whiskey so brilliant? Do you want it to be a single or would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY?
Wine after whiskey is amazing but while it would be nice if it did get released, it isn't in my top 5 chooses for want i think would be released as a single, but if it is released no complaints

NO!!!!!!!! Cupid is a better choice, just do the math Carrie + Brad on the guitar opening up the cma's with Cupid being released as a single around the time; Cupid is the countriest song on the album, and if it is released as the 3rd single it might get played at the cma's and then the votes might vote for carrie for eoty in 2013 instead of miranda lambert who probably feels that miranda deserves all the noms and wins over carrie just because her songs are more country, and some people might think that carrie is more pop than country. So if Cupid is released as the third single then it might get performed at the cma awards on November 1 showing a good part of the country music industry voters, that she is STILL country and isn't going to be transferring over to pop anytime soon.

Yes. And it is perfect as a single IMO. release it as a single in like fall 2012

there are way too many brilliant songs on the album for that to happen

(This album has more than 5 tracks that are single material. It will be fun following this era to see which they ones they would choose as singles. If the single choices continue to be brilliant, this album IMO has the potential for longevity in the charts.)

I think BA will be one of the most succesful songs but it is going to be difficult for it too beat BHC

PS: I have a question. If they choose DYTAM as the 3rd single, do you guys think that it can sustain the momentum of the album that has been set by BA the single? Thanks.

Farawayhills

My top 4:
Good Girl, Two Black Cadillacs, Forever Changed, Leave Love Alone
My top 7:
Those, plus Blown Away, Cupid's Got A Shotgun, Wine After Whiskey

Good Girl comes top for me because it's the most complex and varied set of vocal changes that she's ever attempted. It's full of surprises and new challenges. I think it pushes the Mainstream as far as it will go - especially in its wonderful Alternative Texas Blues influenced final third. The other songs all have strong unique features which makes them standouts.

In general, I think about half the album really pushes for Carrie's "new level", while the other half concentrates on more reassuring songs, addressed to different elements in her very wide potential audience. That variety gives the album a considerable potential for broad appeal.

I include this song in my top 7, but I do prefer SWISLY. As I've implied in the other threads, for me, the way to evaluate WAW is to see Carrie as having co-written a song with a mature theme (which places it in the push to a new level), and which gives her the opportunity to sing an emotional and beautifully judged vocal. If that was the intention, it works well. If, however, as some argue, the intention was to deliver a "traditional" song, I don't think that is fully achieved (but I've not heard evidence that that was, in fact, the intention). My feeling would be that it's not one of the most likely choices for a single

While it's not a personal favourite, I think it's a fairly likely possibility. As Claire says, it would vary both the pace, and the dark themes, in contrast to the first two releases (However, to answer Claire's question, I do think it might carry some risk of blunting the dramatic impact of the album, and might not be in top play rotation for as long)

Carrie has said she'd like it to be - and I'd very much hope it would be. This "Southern Gothic" theme would do a lot to shake up the bland Mainstream obsession with dirt roads and good time songs, and would help to reinforce Carrie's reputation as an artist who strives to shape her genre, rather than let it shape her. Its dramatic, yet never overstated, vocal, with its eerie "Bye byes", is one of the highlights of this album, and on a par with some of the classic songs

I guess some would be surprised if she released NETY - but I'd support that potential choice. I think it could have a big impact on some of the younger audience, who are very important for consumer spending and industry hopes. Country Music has often been the music of the marginalized. In Alternative Country (especially Roots Rock), with its predominantly male audience, this tends to take the form of "You won't like me, much less understand me, so get out of here and leave us alone". But, for the young, estimated 80% female followers of "New Country", there is often a desire to be cool and live up to expectations - this song addresses the concerns of some of that demographic, stressing that there is strength and beauty in all of us. I think the message is deliberately chosen by Carrie, and it wouldn't be much of a surprise for me to hear it on radio.

A real surprise might be SYA. I find this the most uncharacteristic track on BA, and the one that most has the feel of a song that doesn't really belong to the rest of the era, but was waiting to be released and was thought too significant to waste. If it is a single, I think it would have most traction on something like Hot AC - but aiming for that market would be a surprise for me, in light of what Carrie's attempted with the album as a whole.

It will be major - but I don't think, in the long run, the most successful. I think BHC will still be seen as Carrie's defining classic

rainbow1

Thank you, Faraway. Since, it seems, that WAW won't be a single....do you think that LLA has a chance. It is such a foot stompin' good time!!

allamericangirl8

1. Two Black Cadillacs
2. Forever Changed
3. Wine After Whiskey
4. Do You Think About Me
5. Leave Love Alone
6. Cupid's Got a Shotgun
7. Blown Away

TBC and FC represent that delicious darkness I've always wanted Carrie to embrace. I remember one of my first posts on this site was to encourage Carrie to explore the darker side of humanity (i.e. murder, point of view of a soldier, etc), and those two songs delivered. BA delivered, too. When Carrie sings, "There's not enough rain in Oklahoma to wash the sins out of that house," I get chills. It's so damn creepy.

DYTAM is a very well-crafted song that, like AAG, will always put a smile on your face. Even though it's not the happiest subject matter, you can't stop smiling. And it's very relatable. And Carrie's vocals just make your heart soar.

LLA is really unique to Carrie's catalog. It's like she's teasing you throughout the entire song. And I love all the false climaxes. It's like Carrie's playing with you throughout the entire song. This is why I believe this is the sassiest Carrie has ever been. Easily the sassiest vocal she's ever recorded.

I adore CGAS for some reason. I wasn't thrilled about the title when I first read it, but it's really stood out since we got the 30 second clips. It's got clever, relatable lyrics, it's charmingly country, it's catchy, and Brad once again shows us why he's my favorite country guitarist.

It's really adventurous. Admittedly, it's quite front-loaded, but I like that. It's hit after hit after hit. I also love that it talks about storms and being blown away throughout the entire album. I give a lot of flack to some songs (TGFH, NETY, GIG, even BA), but honestly, I'm just being nitpicky. Only TGFH I don't love, and that one's growing on me, too, surprisingly (I'm incapable of disliking a Carrie song, it would appear).

That's a difficult question, really. It's not as easy to pinpoint as with Two Black Cadillacs. It's funny. Contrary to CGAS, this title has excited me since the PO days. I was always sad I never got to hear it, so when I saw the tracklist, this is one of the songs I was most excited about. And it delivered beyond my wildest dreams.

The instrumentation is stellar. It's my favorite arrangement after TBC, even though it's so simple. It's delicate and dynamic. Carrie sounds her most vulnerable. The lyrics are well-crafted and so easily relatable. Even though it predates BA, I thought it was perfect that it mentions "blow[ing] away too soon." It contains my favorite falsetto Carrie moment since RM ("it's like having wine after... whiskey"). I really feel like Carrie is baring her soul.

Do you want it to be a single?

I will be heartbroken if it's not a single.

Would you rather it remain an album gem like SWISLY?

I believe SWISLY should've been released, even though it's not my favorite song in the world. I hope Carrie's team doesn't make the same mistake twice.

At this point, I can't see any other single as single 3.

That's my hope. I can't imagine it not being a single. I only have two grudges against Carrie (not releasing WCIS, not releasing OW), and this will definitely be my third if it's not released lol. And it'll trump the other two.

There are really only three songs they can go wrong with (TGFH, NETY, WAY). Then again, the only songs they could've gone wrong with in the CR era were CD, ITYS, and TMBIM... and they did. Still, I will have faith. :p

Will BA be the most successful song (charts, awards, sales, etc.) or will another single be even bigger?

You mean in this era or in the Carrie's career? I can't see Carrie topping BHC even though she has at least 20 better songs. I do hope I'm wrong. I like most of the songs off BA more than BHC (which says a lot because BHC is awesome). Now if you mean this era, I think that's possible. As much as I love WAW, I don't see it as achieving the level of success BA has and will. However, maybe TBC can top BA. I'm iffy on that one as I feel the message of BA is more powerful than TBC (especially in the music video), but then again, Wasted had a more powerful message than BHC, so what do I know?

bearball49

1 Blown Away
2 Two Black Cadillacs
3 Good Girl
4 Good in Goodbye
5 Leave love Alone
6 Forever Changed
7 Who Are You

I realize my song choices pretty radical, but that is to be expected considering my age (63), I have listened to virtually every format and genre of music. Most songs have to catch me because of the melody first and then the lyrics. Leave Love Alone is certainly not much for lyrics, but it is the kind of song I really enjoy singing along to and just feeling. Blown Away is so special because of not only the dramatic story line, but the way it was produced on the album was a real treat. Two Black Cadillacs is such a dark goodie. Love the Bye, Byes they are giving to the cheater. Just a great song. Wish there was another verse, but maybe the reson it remains so special is that it leaves you filling in the blanks. Good in Goodbye is really a nice country song, don't know that it would do well on radio, but I love it. Forever Changed is just a beautiful sounding song. I really try not to dwell on the lyrics too much as my daughter in law's mother has Alzheimers.....so it is pretty painful. Absolutely in love with Who Are You. usagree totally about it being a worship song. Can not see lyrics such as "you bring me to desire" attributed to a worship song. I absolutelylove her vocals on this. Not many of my favorites are singke potentials, but that is what I look forward to so much about Carrie's work. It us not all about rafio or monitary success. It is about the music. How many artists can you truly say that about?

Blown Away the album has shown Carrie to be growing and brings so much maturtity to the album. It is pretty much like she could not please them by trying to please them, now she is looking more inward to what she likes and I find that refreshing. She has already gone platinum and in time. I expect her to go double platinum. I think it is her most important album as it shows her potential as a serious artist, not bubblegum-pop/ country. Her talent knows no genre.

I am not sure Wine After Whiskey is brilliant. I think it is a nice country song that has the potential of showing the detractors that she does understand what traditional country is. It is posible for radio success, but it is a little slow. The only way it would do really well on radio would be if CFs pushed it like crazy. Still not sure it could go number one. I do enjoy it abd sing along to it...maybe it feels a little dated. Not sure why it is not more popular on my song list. That being said, there is not one song on the album I dis
Ike or would skip. Those above are the ones I am most likely to repeat.

DYTAM is not on my favorite list, but I would not mind it becoming a single. She needs a departure from all of the drama and this song is light enough to do so. Enjoy both the melody and the lyrics. It might also go a long way towards bringing back some of her fans that are not fond of some of her more progressive music.

As far as surprises, there are so many great songs on here, nothing would surprise me except WAY. It is a real favorite of mine but a little like IKYW probably does not belong on radio. It is always better to say I wish it had been released than to release it and have it bomb.

Questionable whether BA will be the biggest hit ever. It is the kind of song because of the storyline that many may cringe from. I think it will be a smash and she will long be remembered for her vocals, but it may still be BHC when the numbers are done.

Farawayhills

Thank you, Faraway. Since, it seems, that WAW won't be a single....do you think that LLA has a chance. It is such a foot stompin' good time!!

I'd love it to be! I think LLA is both Rootsy enough to be seen as a significant new stylistic move for Carrie, and also infectiously feisty enough to make a good radio number. LLA has both a definite influence from Mountain Music, and also a touch of "Celtic" influence, probably reflecting Gordie Sampson's Nova Scotia background (his sister plays traditional music). Coming from a new artist, this song might be too Rootsy, in fact, to get on contemporary Country radio - but, as with the Dixie Chicks in their prime, when an artist has that degree of popularity, radio will be willing to embrace their stylistic variety. Carrie is certainly at that level, and I think the song would enhance her reputation for versatility. (One possible reservation is that LLA may have less appeal to the parts of Carrie's fan base who are more into contemporary Pop. It may be significant that she played it "straight" at the Opry, but seems to have given it a different emphasis, which arguably might make it more accessible to a "general music" audience in the concert duet with Hunter Hayes.)

countrymusicfan15

It was great reading through all your comments!! just so everyone knows though, I meant would BA be the biggest song this era? lol of course, BHC will always be the biggest one of all-time :)

Burst

Don't have time to do all the other questions right now, but my 7 favourite songs would be:

1. Blown Away
2. Do You Think About Me
3. Two Black Cadillacs
4. Good in Goodbye
5. One Way Ticket
6. See You Again
7. Wine After Whiskey

pklongbeach

In no order:

Blown Away
Two Back Cadillacs
See You Again
Do You Think About Me
(clearly that part of the ablum sticks out for me!!)
Who Are You

Nthing after that. Once you accept that Carrie can make anything sound beautiful, you have to start to look at things that "speak" to you. No others really do.
IF I had to add a legit. ballad I would pick GIG. (but for me WAY, is a ballad).

I do think DYTAM is a logical choice. I don't think WAW is a classic (I think TBC is the albums country classic)
I think BA will be the hit of the era, but will not replace BHC as Carries signature.