Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5-7 songs on BA and thoughts about EVERYTHING

bigbluegrl23

I don't think anyone hates NETY, I absolutely love listening to it but I think we just all realize it shouldnt be a single.
Becca

pklongbeach

For me NETY falls into the same trap as "Ironic" by Alanis. Once its made clear that nothing stated in the song is actually Ironic at all, it suddenly makes the song very strange to listen to because it is failing to make its point from there on.
NETY attempts to create a positive by reinforcing a negative.
Ha ha, now thats ironic.
IF you go to see a shrink and all he tells you repeatedly is "nobody ever told you" there is no healing. There is no positive reinforcement. It becomes a reinforcing of the negavite reality that no one every told you how great you are.
In it's effort to be uplifting, it actually instills the negative experience you have been having.
For me, the song falls completely flat for this reason.

Carrieflattsfan

Great thread idea.

1. Two Black Cadillacs
2. Good Girl
3. Blown Away
4. Wine After Whiskey
5. Do You Think About Me
6. Good In Goodbye
7. Thank God For Hometowns

Why They Are Favorites

Two Black Cadillacs: what is there to say? Just a brilliant song and I think it'll go down as one of the best songs she's ever recorded. Haunted, twisted, sinister, and something Carrie had not explored until now. She just sounds so confident and convincing, like she wants you to believe these guys got what they deserved. And the lyrics are the best Carrie has ever written. They're simple, yet stunningly vivid. The production is also my favorite of any Carrie track (aside from WAW)."The women in the two black veils didn't bother to cry." I just love how it paints a picture without giving every detail.

Good Girl: I love the production, lyrics and sass. The production is brilliant, unlike anything Carrie has ever done. I also love how the song uses "Good Girl" in two ways, too. The lyrics are really fun, and I'm still in love with the "hey good girl, too good for him/better back away honey you don't know where he's been. I see it as a sign of the growth she's shown; it's sassy and sexy, and not something I could see the Carrie on Idol singing. I think GG could've been cliche at the hands of another artist, but Carrie took a tired topic and gave it a fresh twist. Love it.

Blown Away: Everything about this song is so good. I love that Carrie was the one who wanted to take a gamble with the production. This is a great example of great lyrics and production creating a monster song. I adore the way Carrie commands the story ("Shatter every window till it's all blown awayyyy"). The layering and emotion in her voice almost tells the story and fills in the gaps we don't have. I also adore the way "Some people called it taking shelter/she called it sweet revenge. Just a great line, and I love the way she says "sweet revenge." It's so sinister. Carrie has really mastered her voice in a literal and figurative sense, and BA is a perfect example.

Wine After Whiskey: This song is perfection. Perfect vocals, stellar production, and classic country lyrics. I adore the cry in Carrie's voice, and the command she has is incredible. It's so effortless for her, the vocals themselves almost tell the story. If I were to pick one song to show someone how much she has grown since the begining, this would be it.

Do You Think About Me: Carrie just has that ability to make you feel something. I can almost see the smile on her face when I'm listening to it. And I think we all have those times when we wonder if the memories we shared with someone mean the same to them as they do you. Country songs have such a unique but relatable way of capturing human emotions, and this is one of those songs for me. The lyrics are so cute without bring cheesy, and Carrie sells the hell out of it. Again, simple lyrics that are sharp enough to tell a great story. Just a gem all around. It's by far my favorite of all her upbeat love songs.

Good In Goodbye: I'm a sucker for songs that are packed with emotion, and this is one. It's so damn relatable to every kind of relationship. Sometimes music is the only thing that can capture what I'm feeling when I wouldn't be able to sort through it. This is that type of song for me.

Thank God For Hometowns: . I could not have asked for a better hometown or people to grow up with. This song describes my life growing up, and bring so attached to my hometown it means so much.

General Thoughts Regarding BA:
Blown Away represents where Carrie has been and where she's going. It celebrates topics that are meaningful to her, but it moves her forward in so many ways. Everything is so well executed: from the command in her vocals to the sharper, edgier lyrics and production choices. While there are a few songs I'm not crazy about, I feel like I can appreciate why each song ended up where it did. I really feel like Carrie was determined to make BA standout from her other albums, and it certainly does. Carrie seems to be having a blast bring in command of things now, and this album shows her efforts to move forward paid off. I'm just really proud to be a fan of an amazing woman who is so passionate about her career and her life, because this album shows that incredibly well.

Why Is Wine After Whiskey So Brilliant?

Well, country music was the first genre I connected with on a deeper, almost spirtual level. Songs like this are why I'm so passionate about country music. Just a gorgeous song with an amazing singer. There are so many heartbreak songs in country music, but I love the wine after Whiskey comparison; how one thing is so strong it'll never compare to what you currently have. Again, it's emotion that I think everyone relates to, and Carrie's emotion puts it over the top. There are so many love songs that seem to say the same thing in the exact same way; WAW is beautiful and delicate and I love it.

Do You Want It To Be a Single?

Absolutely 100% yes. I usually don't care too much about what singles are chosen, but this one deserves to be heard by the masses. I would view it as a huge mistake if it wasn't released.

Or Do You Think It Should Remain An Album Track Like SWISLY?

SWISLY is gorgeous, but I never viewed it as single material. The melody sort of drags for me, and I just don't see it as the smash hit everyone else did. A lot of great country songs are overlooked even when fans think they will do well, too. WAW, though, is beautiful and the production allow Carrie to be front and center. I want it as a single more than anything.
Is DYTAM A Good Choice For Single #3?

It's perfect. The epitome of a feel-good song; I can't think of a better choice to sing along to on a perfect spring day. :)

Are We In For Another Surprise This Era?

I hope not. The only songs I don't like as much as the others are NETY, Cupid, and LLA. It's not that they're bad, I just think the others are stronger choices. I really hope the label chooses the singles that showcase Carrie at her best, not at her most mediocore. We've had too many of those. If the label keeps their promise to take Carrie to the next level, we shouldn't be in for any surprises.

Will BA be the era's most successful song, or will another be even bigger?

This is a tough call, but I'm gonna say no. We are at an age where it's difficult for any artist to have a huge smash, let alone a multi format one. Unless the label plans to push the hell out of this to pop, I see it making little impact. Songs get pushed up the charts quickly and the label politicking is so fierce it's more difficult than ever to have an explosive impact with a single. I can see TBC or WAW having more substantial impact, especially if the former has a really epic video.

Farawayhills

I have question :

Am i the only one who actually Love NOBODY EVER TOLD YOU? :rolleyes:

No - I think Carrie went for this theme and co-wrote the song because it is significant for her, and I find the song both distinctive and meaningful. As I said, it would not really surprise me if it turned out to be a "dark horse" possibility for a future single. I see it as Carrie's message to the "celebrity focused" generation, that they don't have to depend on other people's perceptions of glitz and glamour, but have an inner beauty that allows then to shine on their own terms. I see that as quite a powerful message that could have wide appeal.

jbrown

No - I think Carrie went for this theme and co-wrote the song because it is significant for her, and I find the song both distinctive and meaningful. As I said, it would not really surprise me if it turned out to be a "dark horse" possibility for a future single. I see it as Carrie's message to the "celebrity focused" generation, that they don't have to depend on other people's perceptions of glitz and glamour, but have an inner beauty that allows then to shine on their own terms. I see that as quite a powerful message that could have wide appeal.

I agree. My kids love this song.

Gator

I agree. My kids love this song.

^^ My HUSBAND likes this song. (He also loved MS!) Actually, we both love both songs! :p

Actually, this song touches us personally because our granddaughter was being bullied because of her weight. Kids can be so cruel. Fortunately, my granddaughter has lost a little weight due to healthier eating. She is much healthier and happier as she begins high school. :)

I applaud Carrie for releasing this PSA song. Many people young and old can take comfort in this song. Carrie continues to release music that people can relate to and be comforted by. God Bless her for having such compassion for all. :D

twaintrain

1. Two Black Cadillacs
2. Wine After Whiskey
3. Blown Away
4. One Way Ticket
5. Do You Think About Me
6. Good Girl
7. Who Are You

My general thoughts on the BA album:

After living with BA, I think it is tied with "Carnival Ride" as my favorite Carrie album. To me, CR had a better flow to it, but there is something special about BA that makes up for a little unevenness. However, I hate to say that unevenness will likely cause it not to get the award recognition it deserves -- CMA Album of the Year, for a painful example.

As far as singles go, I really wish "Wine After Whiskey" would be released. It is just a great song and Carrie's delivery is unbelievably beautiful. It's so emotional and I think a lot of people would connect with it. I always saw SWISLY as an album cut. I liked it but it shouldn't have been a single. WAW, however, is too good to not release and do live! Obviously tons of fans agree.

I think "Two Black Cadillacs" will be not only the biggest single from BA, but Carrie's biggest single since BHC. When this song is released, I think we will see a change in momentum - Carrie will own the awards once again.

I had hoped for this as single choices:
1. Good Girl
2. Blown Away
3. Wine After Whiskey - traditional country after 2 very pop flavored songs (CMA voters eat your hearts out)
4. Two Black Cadillacs - the mega-hit to start off a new year (Grammys get ready)
5. One Way Ticket - the song of Summer 2013
6. Do You Think About Me - if there were a sixth release

I think DYTAM would make a great 3rd single but I just really want WAW to be released too.

CarrieFan928

My Top 7:
1. Blown Away
2. Do You Think About Me
3. Good Girl
4. One Way Ticket
5. Good in Goodbye
6. Thank God For Hometowns
7. See You Again

I recently started loving DYTAM again and feel like it would be a great single. I do think Blown Away will be the album's biggest song and I hope it can reach double platinum and crossover to go at least top 20 for Hot AC and top 40 on pop. There are so many different ways the label can go with this album in terms of singles so I don't really know what they would do. I've gotten tired of some of the songs on Blown Away but I love the title track enough to make up for the weaker songs. My favorite Carrie album changes every once in a while. Right now it's a tie between Play On and Blown Away.

PRGuy79

I have question :

Am i the only one who actually Love NOBODY EVER TOLD YOU? :rolleyes:

I love NETY! I crank up the volume every time it comes on. The message, the lyrics and the music are all great. There is a stretch of about 45 seconds at the end of the song with the banjo, fiddle, and several other instruments that makes me dance - even if I'm driving the car! :) It is one of my favorite instrumental moments on the album.

dsfox2009

My Top 7 from BLOWNAWAY:
1: Cupid’s Got a Shotgun
This is the song that I have been waiting for Carrie torelease for quite some time. Not saying that I don’t love all of the otherworks that she has put out before, but there is just something so very countryabout this song that I find it irresistible. Not only does the track SCREAMpotential single, but it also gives us a great upbeat track from Carrie thatdiffers slightly than the BHC’s and CC’s of yesterday. If this song does notget the single treatment, I will be crushed!
2: Wine After Whiskey
Who can’t relate to this song? It is destined to become aclassic country tune do to its relatable lyrics and clever alcohol references.Not only that, but it is hands down one of the best love songs that Carrie hasever recorded. This song must also be released as a single, as it is a surefire#1.
3: Blown Away
Ah…Blown Away. What’s not to love about it? A great vocalfrom Carrie? Check. Lyrics that tell a great story? Check. An instrumentationthat you can’t help but love? Check. This song is already a huge hit, and isonly going to get bigger in due time. This is going to be the song thateveryone remembers from Carrie’s fourth album years down the road, no matterwhat singles are to be released after its chart run is over. It is in fact thatgood.
4: Good Girl
The perfect lead single for this album. Many call this songCowboy Casanova 2.0, but I don’t see it as that. Yes, the lyrics are quitesimilar, but this song lets the world see Carrie’s true rocker side (one thatwe haven’t really seen since Idol, imo.). Although this has been somewhat of adownfall for some as the track has gotten some flak for being too “pop”, Icould really care less how “pop” or “country” my music is. This is a song thatjust won’t get out of your head once it gets trapped in there.
5: Two Black Cadillacs
THE story-driven song of the album. While Carrie hasdefinitely sung about similar scenarios in previous albums, I’m not so surethat she has tackled such plots with as great of finesse as she does in TBC.Not only is the story a jaw-dropper, but the instrumentation is just ascaptivating. Normally I can’t stand ridiculously long instrumentals within asong, but the last minute of this song just takes it to the next level, imo.
6: One Way Ticket
One Way Ticket is a song that I never would have seen comingfrom Carrie, if I am being completely honest. Despite this, it is quicklybecoming one of my favorites from her. OWT is just a song that makes all ofyour worries go away. Bad day at the office? Listen to this song. I promise itwill make things at least seem somewhat better for those 4 minutes J
7: Do You Think About Me
Rounding this list out to only 7 tracks was quite thechallenge. However, the last spot went to DYTAM because of the fact that it isthe song that I find myself singing in my head in the middle of my day withouteven thinking about it. While I do love the song and can relate to it like Inever thought I could relate to a song, I am a little more skeptical about itsfuture as a single than others seem to be. If it happens, then I definitely won’tbe heartbroken though!
Why is WAW sobrilliant?
Many reasons. Carrie’s reserved vocals. The relatablelyrics. The instrumentation. THAT INTRO! Need I go on?!
Should WAW become asingle or stay an album track?
Single. Please J
Is DYTAM the bestchoice for single #3?
Not in my opinion. That slot belongs to either Cupid or TBC.
Is TBC destined to bea single?
Not only is it destined, but it is practically guaranteed.
Are we in for anothersurprise this era?
No. Only because of the fact that there are so many greatsongs on this album that could easily be picked as singles.
Will BA be the mostsuccessful song of the album?
Without a doubt.

countrymusicfan15

Thought I'd finally answer one of my own questions lol I don't have time to answer all the questions (sooo much homework and studying), but here are my top 7 favs (in order)!!

1. See You Again
2. Blown Away
3. Good Girl
4. Who Are You
5. Two Black Cadillacs
6. Do You Think About Me
7. Wine After Whiskey

It is very tough leaving CGAS out of this top 7. It is almost tied with WAW.