Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Blown Away, Week 14

Lstname89

Do you love Mean? :p

Seriously, I wouldn't want to hear Carrie's songs butchered on Glee lol. You like their singing, and I guess other people do, too. I don't. I find them awful. x)

I also get really annoyed when people hear a song from Glee and download the Glee version rather than the original. I mean, even when I hear Carrie cover a tune I'd never heard before, I at least get both versions. Maybe it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but it does.

Ugh, Thank God I'm not the only one who feels this way!

No offense to anyone who likes/loves Glee, but they should make their own music, not ruin perfectly good songs.

Pitocco

I hate glee, but it's great exposure for Carrie and Blown Away. I wouldn't listen to the covers myself, but a hit show is a hit show and exposure is exposure.

clh_hilary

Well I especially liked the Glee renditions of songs like "Teenage Dream", "Empire State of Mind", "Rumour Has It" / "Someone Like You", "I Will Survive" / "Survivor" and bought them. But I do get all the originals as well.

The song exception was Rebecca Black's "Friday". I bought the Glee Cast version but not hers.

carebear4eva

I think this is just being musically puritanical. As a show, Glee is an exceddingly average one, with some of the most unoriginal characters ever ("Hi. I'm Kurt. I'm gay. I obsess over pop-culture and spend hours on facial routines". "Hi. I'm Mercedes. I'm a strong, black woman. I snap my fingers and say 'Aw, hell to the no' a lot".) That said, it is mildly entertaining, and one that I watch on occasion.

Regarding music, like all "artists", they have some immense FACE-PALMS and some truly wonderful moments. They've butchered some of my favourite Broadway/West End numbers - Cell Block Tango (Chicago), The Rain in Spain and I Could Have Danced All Night (My Fair Lady). Even the pop hits aren't immune to their murdering. I'm pretty sure none of the 5,000 people working on the show had any idea how "Gives You Hell" was meant to be sung. They've also had some tremendous moments, when absolutely everything has gone right. Amber Riley's delivery of And I Am Telling You easily surpasses J-Hud's, and IMO is second only to the great Ms. Holiday herself. It's All Coming Back To Me Now, Teenage Dream and the Rumour Has It / Someone Like You mash-up are just brilliant. Lea Michele's take on Don't Rain On My Parade was also wonderful.

And what's wrong with buying the Glee version instead of the original. More puritanism. Listen to Bonnie Tyler croak "Every now and then I fall apart" and then listen to Lea Michele's voice soar as she sings the same lines with Jon Groff imploring "Turn around, bright eyes!" in their cover of Total Eclipse of the Heart. There is no doubt which is the greater rendition. You'd be a fool to buy Tyler's version instead of the Glee cover, just because that's the original. Christina Perri did a good job with Jar of Hearts, but Michele just ripped her heart out and dumped it into the song.

And Chenoweth may not have Carrie's vocal chops, but I can fully see why someone would like her quirkier version of LN more, and hence buy that copy instead of Carrie's original.

Pi314CA

Excerpts from Billboard article regarding this past week's album sales:

Rick Ross Scores Fourth No. 1 Album with 'God Forgives, I Don't'
by Keith Caulfield, L.A. | August 08, 2012

As projected last week, rapper Rick Ross claims his fourth No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 as "God Forgives, I Don't" bows atop the list with 218,000 sold according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The first-week sales of "God Forgives, I Don't" were also buoyed by Amazon MP3, which has priced the title for $5 for the entire month of August. The set sold 90,000 downloads last week and easily arrives at No. 1 on the Digital Albums chart.

At No. 2 this week in the Billboard 200, Zac Brown Band's "Uncaged" slips a slot with 39,000 (down 18%).

Justin Bieber's "Believe" rises 6-3 (35,000; up less than 1%) while pop group One Direction sees its "Up All Night" climb 7-4 (34,000; up 1%).

Another pop act, but of a slightly different vintage, makes a stunning reentry at No. 5, as Bee Gees' "Number Ones" returns with 32,000 (up 3,049%). Credit the wild gain in sales to Amazon MP3, which priced the 20-song set for 99 cents from Aug. 3-5, thus sparking its increase. (97% of the set's sales last week were downloads, and likely nearly all from Amazon.)

Nas' "Life Is Good" falls 2-6 (just under 32,000; down 29%), the "Kidz Bop 22" album slides 5-7 (31,000; down 11%), Adele's "21" rises 9-8 (29,000; down 5%) and Maroon 5's "Overexposed" is up one to No. 9 with 25,000 (up 7%).

Closing out the top 10 is Joss Stone's "The Soul Sessions, Vol. 2," debuting at No. 10 with 24,000.

Right outside the top 10 is country trio Gloriana, which debuts its second album, "A Thousand Miles Left Behind" at No. 11 with 23,000. Had Amazon MP3 not opted to sale price the Bee Gees' "Number Ones" last week, Gloriana could have nabbed its second top 10 set. The group's first top 10 came with its self-titled debut album, which bowed and peaked at No. 3 in 2009 off a 44,000 start.

maria4hitz

14 26 25 20 * underwood*carrie blown away 16079 23 13043 673297

28 80 110 70 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE SOME HEARTS 2282 38 1659 7224194

58 60 163 189 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE PLAY ON 1385 -2 1408 2127968

allamericangirl8

And what's wrong with buying the Glee version instead of the original. More puritanism. Listen to Bonnie Tyler croak "Every now and then I fall apart" and then listen to Lea Michele's voice soar as she sings the same lines with Jon Groff imploring "Turn around, bright eyes!" in their cover of Total Eclipse of the Heart. There is no doubt which is the greater rendition. You'd be a fool to buy Tyler's version instead of the Glee cover, just because that's the original.

This isn't my point, but this is the song I totally had in mind lol. If you have heard both versions and prefer the other rendition, have at it, but what I'm saying is that from my experience, people don't even give the original a chance. They hear the Glee version, like it, download it, and that's the end. That to me makes zero sense.

I love Carrie's Praying For Time and I really dislike George Michael's, so I have Carrie's and don't have George's, but it irks me when someone only listens to Carrie's version and doesn't give the original a chance. And it usually irks me because Glee has a history of covering some of my absolute favorite artists and songs. Think on this situation: my friend is blasting her iPod on some dock of some sort (unimportant) and she says I get to choose a song from her iPod to put on, and I go through the songs and see a song I adore and click it -- and it's the freaking GLEE version. And I say, "You don't like so-and-so's rendition?" and she says, "Who?" <- THAT has happened to me with every single one of my friends at some point. And yes, it frustrates me. Especially in instances where the original, in my opinion, is better. And maybe they'll disagree with me, but the fact that they haven't heard the original is nauseating to me.

I have tons and tons of covers on my iPod, but you can bet every penny you have that I looked up the original straight away on all of those (unless I didn't know it was a cover). For instance, I've heard "Hallelujah" by seven different artists, and yet I only own versions that have Jeff Buckley on them because I find the others greatly inferior. Good for me, right? Not everybody's like me, right? This is one of those rare instances where I actually do want people to be like me because they're losing out on some great music otherwise. :p Or they're missing out on terrible music. But at least they can make the judgment in either direction.

And as someone who greatly, greatly dislikes Lea Michelle's Total Eclipse of the Heart and cried when first hearing Bonnie Tyler's (leave me alone; I was thirteen and going through tough times), lolno. I personally saw a favorite song of mine trivialized to some karaoke tune, and that is the very song I've had in mind this entire time. That is the biggest example of seeing one of my favorite songs squashed to pieces by the show. You liked it. Cool. I hated it, so of course I'm of the opinion that it should've never been covered. And so I personally would not like to see a Carrie tune meet the same fate. That would be my personal preference.

opry051008

in reality tho, before albums became big, singles were what were sold. so it isn't like this is a new thing. and artists makes most of/if not all their money from touring anyway. Katy Perry isn't a big album seller but she still fills arenas bc her songs are popular.
Becca

I think Katy Perry is a big album seller if you look at her numbers in terms of the current state of album sales.

opry051008

Seriously, I wouldn't want to hear Carrie's songs butchered on Glee lol. You like their singing, and I guess other people do, too. I don't. I find them awful. x)

I also get really annoyed when people hear a song from Glee and download the Glee version rather than the original. I mean, even when I hear Carrie cover a tune I'd never heard before, I at least get both versions. Maybe it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but it does.

Like clh_hilary, I bought the Glee version of Friday instead of the original Rebecca Black version. lol.

teesharky

agree with you there. I HATE when people only know the cover version of songs, but not the original. It irks me.. ..not just on Glee but in general.

Oh don't worry I hate the song Mean, but the guy who performed it on Glee was so much better then SWSRN that it made it tolerable. lol

allamericangirl8

agree with you there. I HATE when people only know the cover version of songs, but not the original. It irks me.. ..not just on Glee but in general.

Oh don't worry I hate the song Mean, but the guy who performed it on Glee was so much better then SWSRN that it made it tolerable. lol

Yeah, that's basically my point. I don't like it in general. Glee just happened to be our topic. :p

Now THAT I haven't heard. Do you have that version?

clh_hilary

It's really a common thing for people not to know the originals of successful covers though. Probably very little know Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You", "Saving All My Love For You"; Mariah Carey's "Without You"; Madonna's "Fever", "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"; Beyonce's "If I Were A Boy"; Drake's "Take Care" (With Rihanna) are all covers.

But I think the Glee ignorance is more annoying, as it should be common knowledge that they cover songs 99% of the time. They don't really do originals and that was sort of the point of the whole song on the music commercial side.

Manchs

Capitol/EMI's Now 43 will debut at #1 next week, the first time a Now compilation has debuted on top since Now 37 hit the summit in February, 2011, with 151k. For now, it appears that all four major distributors will be represented in the Top 5. Of course, there will likely be a surprise or two, thanks to Amazon MP3's 99-cent Daily Deals. In the meantime, here's how it looks headed into the weekend:

*Now 43 (Capitol/EMI) 110-120k
Rick Ross (Def Jam/IDJ) 60-65k
Zac Brown Band (Atlantic) 30-35k
Justin Bieber (Island/IDJ) 30-35k
One Direction (Syco/Columbia) 27-30k
*Elle Varner (RCA) 27-30k
Adele (XL/Columbia) 27-30k
Kidz Bop Kids (Razor & Tie) 24-27k
*Colt Ford (Average Joe's) 21-24k
Maroon 5 (A&M/Octone) 20-23k
Nas (Def Jam/IDJ) 17-20k
Luke Bryan (Capitol Nashville/EMI) 15-18k
fun. (Fueled By Ramen) 15-18k
Carrie Underwood (19/AristaNashville) 15-18k
Kenny Chesney (Blue Chair/ColumbiaNashville) 15-18k
Of Monsters & Men (Republic) 14-17k
Frank Ocean (Def Jam/IDJ) 14-17k

teesharky

Good. I hope these projections are correct. I want her to cross 700k soon as that sounds SOOOO much better then 6o0k. lol

I want her to be certified platinum after Christmas, so hopefully she can stay around that level or even increase a bit.

Burst

Hopefully she's on the higher end of the projected numbers. Another increase would be just amazing. The sales are a little more steady now, which is nice.