Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Blown Away, Week 22

huggablebri

Ok so someone explain how a group I have never even heard of/ Mumford and Sons can sell that well? I just listened to their snipits on Itunes and am scratching my head over how it isnt 6,000 instead of 600,000. What am I missing?
I would have paid more to buy Sanford and Sons .lol

robinannhunt

Ok so someone explain how a group I have never even heard of/ Mumford and Sons can sell that well? I just listened to their snipits on Itunes and am scratching my head over how it isnt 6,000 instead of 600,000. What am I missing?

Me too.;)

teesharky

bummer I was hoping she would stay around 14-15k but it was slow last week. The problem with her being on tour so much is she is not very visible to the rest of the world in terms of tv etc. Hopefully vh1 will help a bit.

She needs to do SNL or Glee or something.

JB172

I have never really got what people see in them but if any artist can sell 600k in one week in this era that is very, very impressive and good for them.

allamericangirl8

Mumford & Sons are to rock radio what Taylor Swift is to country radio.

Does that help? :p

clh_hilary

That doesn't help. Swift can't even crack Top 10 on 'Country' radio to save her life, while "I Will Wait" is sitting at #1 on Rock radio nicely.

Their debut album sold 2.3 million copies without airplay or much promotion, basically purely on Grammy hype with their nomination there earlier, so they've established a cult following. And rock bands always do consistently well.

allamericangirl8

That doesn't help. Swift can't even crack Top 10 on 'Country' radio to save her life, while "I Will Wait" is sitting at #1 on Rock radio nicely.

Their debut album sold 2.3 million copies without airplay or much promotion, basically purely on Grammy hype with their nomination there earlier, so they've established a cult following. And rock bands always do consistently well.

I exaggerated a lot, but it was the same principle. My rock n' roll history professor works for KROQ, and during our "payola" section, he used Mumford & Sons as an example, claiming that KROQ and Island Records struck up a deal where they were going to spin M&S basically into the ground, which reminds me of when WANEGBT was force-fed to country radio, however on a much smaller scale (though I personally believe that if they struck up the deal for one station, they did it for many others as well).

Admittedly, I have not checked out his claim myself (I don't actually listen to KROQ), so I'm just taking his word for it since it would make absolutely no sense to make it up. So take it with a grain of salt.

clh_hilary

I exaggerated a lot, but it was the same principle. My rock n' roll history professor works for KROQ, and during our "payola" section, he used Mumford & Sons as an example, claiming that KROQ and Island Records struck up a deal where they were going to spin M&S basically into the ground, which reminds me of when WANEGBT was force-fed to country radio, however on a much smaller scale (though I personally believe that if they struck up the deal for one station, they did it for many others as well).

Admittedly, I have not checked out his claim myself (I don't actually listen to KROQ), so I'm just taking his word for it since it would make absolutely no sense to make it up. So take it with a grain of salt.

For lovers of pure rock and roll, I think it's just natural for them to dislike all popular mainstream rock acts at the moment. Nevertheless, M&S is actually on an independent label so I doubt their label could have much power in manipulating radio - We all see how Jason Aldean's independent label was helpless with Country radio, leaving "Crazy Town", "My Kinda Party" and "Tattoo On This Town" at #2 for forever.

I think Rock radio are much more hype-oriented than Country radio, seeing how easily Green Day and Linkin Park lead singles debuted high on the format, without much sales if at all.

And again, Swift couldn't even crack the Top 12 on Country radio.

But your comparison between Rock and Country actually holds some ground, as in both communities exist the talks of new Pop sounds and 'selling out'.

allamericangirl8

For lovers of pure rock and roll, I think it's just natural for them to dislike all popular mainstream rock acts at the moment. Nevertheless, M&S is actually on an independent label so I doubt their label could have much power in manipulating radio - We all see how Jason Aldean's independent label was helpless with Country radio, leaving "Crazy Town", "My Kinda Party" and "Tattoo On This Town" at #2 for forever.

I think Rock radio are much more hype-oriented than Country radio, seeing how easily Green Day and Linkin Park lead singles debuted high on the format, without much sales if at all.

And again, Swift couldn't even crack the Top 12 on Country radio.

But your comparison between Rock and Country actually holds some ground, as in both communities exist the talks of new Pop sounds and 'selling out'.

That's the thing, though. My professor does like popular mainstream rock acts (hence why he works for KROQ), and he's actually a M&S fan, so that's why I kind of believe him. And I know KROQ has had a history of force-feeding artists, so it makes sense to me. But that's just me personally. I won't try to persuade you to his side, though, as I know it's a leap of faith. It's hard to explain, but it just makes perfect sense to me. I don't listen to KROQ anymore because they would play the same five songs or five artists over and over again.

JB172

That's the thing, though. My professor does like popular mainstream rock acts (hence why he works for KROQ), and he's actually a M&S fan, so that's why I kind of believe him. And I know KROQ has had a history of force-feeding artists, so it makes sense to me. But that's just me personally. I won't try to persuade you to his side, though, as I know it's a leap of faith. It's hard to explain, but it just makes perfect sense to me. I don't listen to KROQ anymore because they would play the same five songs or five artists over and over again.

I think that playing the same five songs or artists over & over again is what every radio station in every format does and is why nobody listens.

allamericangirl8

I think that playing the same five songs or artists over & over again is what every radio station in every format does and is why nobody listens.

Jim, I listen to country radio for two hours everyday, and they play three times as many songs as the rock station does. I agree all formats have that problem, but I'm talking:

Muse - Uprising
That one Offspring song
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Muse - Uprising
Some Green Day song
That one Offspring song
Some Green Day song
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Muse - Uprising
-commercial-

I even wrote a newspaper article once sophomore year where I wrote down all the songs that got played on KROQ in the span of four hours. It was only seven songs.

[Edit] Maybe I still have the article! I'll go check my flashdrive.

What I'm trying to say is yes, everybody has the problem, but not nearly to the extent KROQ has/had (again, don't listen to it anymore so maybe it was magically fixed) that problem.

--

Sorry that this thread is way off track now. If it annoys less people, we could keep talking on VM/PM.

Burst

So she must've sold at least 200 more copies than expected to be rounded to 14k. I'm okay with that. :p

Burst

They haven't posted exact numbers yet, but Roughstock has said this:

Carrie Underwood has the #5 best-selling country single with the soon to be Platinum “Blown Away.”
Read more at Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles: The Week of October 3, 2012: Taylor Swift Begins Again | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com

Not bad. She must be trailing behind Taylor x2, Hunter, and maybe Florida Georgia Line? No idea who they are, but they're right above Carrie on iTunes right now.

PRGuy79

Carrie Underwood has the #5 best-selling country single with the soon to be Platinum “Blown Away.”
Read more at Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles: The Week of October 3, 2012: Taylor Swift Begins Again | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com

Not bad. She must be trailing behind Taylor x2, Hunter, and maybe Florida Georgia Line? No idea who they are, but they're right above Carrie on iTunes right now.

Cool. Thanks for posting this!

From the article:

3 5 Carrie Underwood Blown Away 62,000 76,000 942,000

utlovescarrie

BA comes in at #3 country:

5 9 LITTLE BIG TOWN CAPITOL NASHVILLE/EMI 34,482 -29%
TORNADO
-- 19 JAKE OWEN RCA NASHVILLE 17,010 --
ENDLESS SUMMER EP
28 30 CARRIE UNDERWOOD 19/ARISTA NASHVILLE 13,344 -13%
BLOWN AWAY
26 31 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE/EMI 13,018 -20%
TAILGATES & TANLINES
34 34 HUNTER HAYES ATLANTIC 11,180 -5%
HUNTER HAYES
Is this the first week for Jake Owens?

NC State Carrie Fan

Florida Georgia Line are sick! I love there music and I think they'll be big....there single Cruise is awesome you should definitely look it up if anyone was to be above Carrie in sales I'm glad it's them and digital rank to me doesn't really matter....she still sold over 60,000 which I wasn't too sure of and she has a pretty good chance of barely making it past Platinum next week!

Burst

They must have just updated it, it wasn't there when I just checked.

Thanks! Great sales for the week. Hopefully platinum next week. I'm almost positive this is going to outsell Good Girl, which I honestly wasn't sure if it would.