Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album/Track Sales, Week 55, Blown Away Era

Pi314CA

When you say this era is done I hope you mean in terms of sustained sales in the 6k-9k range, not that the era is over. I really can't stand all the friggin' doom and gloom that is so prematurely prognosticated. It will be at least another 10-12 weeks before SYA peaks and starts declining. And not until then will there possibly be an announcement that the era is over.

Okay so your prediction is duly noted. Now let's wait until after SYA peaks before this is brought up again.

If you use 6,000 as a criteria as to whether another single should be released, then MANY artists would have very few track releases from their album.

simonplay

Just remember: the label want money and if the singles not sell well and the album neither then the label not going to waste much time with another single.! just remember the Play On era with MS! :p

I want another single (GIG or LLA) but I just I dont see that happen.

TOPDOG1001

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but Carrie's label is *cheap.* They don't like promoting her to other genres bc it costs money, and Carrie's almost a surefire bet. So if by the end of the summer she's at 4-5k, I just don't know if they'll shell out the money for another single. I truly hope I'm wrong!

supercarriefan

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but Carrie's label is *cheap.* They don't like promoting her to other genres bc it costs money, and Carrie's almost a surefire bet. So if by the end of the summer she's at 4-5k, I just don't know if they'll shell out the money for another single. I truly hope I'm wrong!

The promo already rolled out over the last year and a half for Carrie's singles and albums probably cost a lot of money, so I'd be careful calling the label cheap lol. Carrie gets some of the best promo out there.
As for other genres, Carrie has made it abundantly clear over the years that she is a country artist first and foremost. She is not interested in pushing for success in pop music. I think her label respects her wishes on that front.

teesharky

I was so disappointed when MS was the last song on PO, as it felt like the era ended way too soon. I really hope they don't end the era so early, and leave all those great songs left on the cd.

The album can still go 2x platinum if it can sell 5k all summer and then pick up a bit in the fall hopefully, get a few sales bumps for the holidays, CMAs, and SOM.
It might be certified in early 2014 perhaps.

I just know there will be a very long break before album 5-- so if they cut it short in July/August (when SYA peaks)-- it is could be till 2015 till we get a lead single. That is a very very long time to be off radio.

Pitocco

I dont know if theres stuff going on behind the scenes but it seems to me that the promotion for SYA is almost $0. Why not just put out another single afterwards just to give radio something to play? IMO it cant be harmful

clh_hilary

Kimberly Perry is the LEAD in that group. The two men are like her backup singers/musicians. She's Gladys Night and they are the Pips. IMO, she's a huge reason why TBP is so successful. She should be given credit for being a successful woman in country music since she is the lead. Not equal like Lady Antebellem, I think Kimberely has a much larger role in TBP then Hiliary Scott has in Lady Antebellem. Kimberly works her butt off as lead whereas Hiliary sometimes just fades away.

Well yes she is. I was joking around. It's like saying how Evanescence is a male band.

I like Kimberly and the Band Perry alot. But I do think her voice can be a bit pitchy at times- live. However- I LOVED their performance at the ACMS. It was FIERCE!

I don't think her pitchy, but lately she's been singing out of breath in every performances, regardless of whether she's singing 'DONE.' or 'Better Dig Two'.

Mariah Carey feat. Miguel, #Beautiful (97,000, -14%, 211,000)
Candice Glover, I Am Beautiful (54,000, debut, 54,000)
Emeli Sande, Next to Me (67,000, -7%, 695,000)
Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull, Live It Up (65,000, +53%, 107,000)
Phillip Phillips, Gone, Gone, Gone (49,000, +18%, 684,000)
The Band Perry, DONE. (38,000, +11%, 420,000)
Keith Urban, Little Bit of Everything (38,000, debut, 38,000)
PSY, Gentleman (27,000, +20%, 216,000)
Kree Harrison, All Cried Out (24,000, debut, 24,000)
Phillip Phillips, Home (24,000, +4%, 4.473 million)
Carrie Underwood, See You Again (21,000, -11%, 145,000)
Kelly Clarkson, People Like Us (16,000, +66%, 91,000)
Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne, High School (15,000, +24%, 160,000)
Kelly Clarkson, Catch My Breath (14,000, -7%, 1.413 million)
Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (13,000, -10%, 2.181 million)
Carrie Underwood, Two Black Cadillacs (11,000, -9%, 773,000)
Nicki Minaj/Carly Rae Jepsen, Tonight I'm Getting Over You (9,000, -72%, 41,000)
Lauren Alaina, Barefoot and Buckwild (9,000, -54%, 28,000)
Kellie Pickler, Someone Somewhere Tonight (9,000, debut, 9,000)
Justin Bieber feat. Nicki Minaj, Beauty and a Beat (8,000, -8%, 2.213 million)

New 'Idol' downloads lag behind previous winners

Wow Kellie Pickler is selling weak even compared to Lauren Alaina!

So 3 more weeks and SYA will hit 200k. lol Only about 3 more months to hit Gold then. lol

Supposedly its sales will pick up with airplay.

Chart News ‏@chartnews 42m US album sales: #66 @CarrieUnderwood, Blown Away 6,000 (1,444,000 total).

this is not good. She dropped by 3,000. Wow.

Flopping so hard I know.

See You Again (21,000, -11%, 145,000)
Blown Away (13,000, -10%, 2.181 million)
Two Black Cadillacs (11,000, -9%, 773,000)
Good Girl (5,000, -5%, 1.724 million)
Wasted (5,000, +396%, 784,000) -> It sold 79,000 copies in 82 weeks '-'

Nobody likes 'Wasted', no longevity whatsoever. :(

The BA era is about done. It still will hit 1.5 mil but I doubt they'll do a fifth single unless her sales go up to 8k+ again. And that's not to say this wasn't a successful era...bc it is. Look at how poorly recent albums are doing. Brad is already down to 9k a week! The Band Perry is at 15k a week. And that's with the album that followed If I Die Young.

They are not comparable though. The Band Perry is fairly new, while Brad Paisley has not been selling well for years. Not to mention this is also because 'DONE.' is not liked by the audience, and 'If I Die Young' did not actually push their album sales off the roof even at its peak.

Well that is terrible news if true. I wanted a 5th single so badly-- because not only are there amazing songs on the album that no one will hear, but we will not get a new album from Carrie till late 2014 or spring 2015-- at the earliest. She could take even longer this time for all we know.

But what we do know- is that she will not be able to start the album till 2014 due to Sound of Music.

So if the album era is suddenly "done" as you guys say-- then we will not be getting new music for at least a year or likely much longer.

That is way too long for Carrie to be off the radio. They need a 5th or 6th single to stretch this era out so Carrie can focus on SOM. If they do-- she can eventually get 2x platinum certification for this album.

Stopping the album now would destroy any chance of 2x platinum in the forseeable future (it will take years otherwise) and we won't get a new lead single for over 1 year, possibly 1.5 years or more.

Carrie should not be off the radio for 1.5 years with the competition she has. So they really need to think hard and stretch this era out longer.

The album has only been out 1 year: why would they cut it off already? If they do-- they are crazy as it is not a good idea for Carrie to be off the radio that long. She will fade and lose hype, letting Miranda/Taylor/Kasey and others run laps around her as they release albums and singles like people change shoes.

But she already is fading and losing hype.

When you say this era is done I hope you mean in terms of sustained sales in the 6k-9k range, not that the era is over. I really can't stand all the friggin' doom and gloom that is so prematurely prognosticated. It will be at least another 10-12 weeks before SYA peaks and starts declining. And not until then will there possibly be an announcement that the era is over.

Okay so your prediction is duly noted. Now let's wait until after SYA peaks before this is brought up again.

If you use 6,000 as a criteria as to whether another single should be released, then MANY artists would have very few track releases from their album.

Traditionally a label stops pushing singles for an album once it gets out of the Billboard 200, so it'd be around 2000-3000 copies sold weekly. But for bigger stars, the sales level is higher.

Carrie's decision not to remix her songs makes it more difficult for her to get crossover airplay, and that's why her label isn't pushing her songs because the risk is too high.

I dont know if theres stuff going on behind the scenes but it seems to me that the promotion for SYA is almost $0. Why not just put out another single afterwards just to give radio something to play? IMO it cant be harmful

It cannot be harmful, but when it stalls on the charts, or is falling short of hitting No 1, her label will have to spend money to push it ever if the single isn't actually drawing in much money.

Pi314CA

Carrie sales numbers for last week:

Albums:
Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (6,000, -31%, 1.444 million) (#66 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (1,000, -12%, 7.320 million)

Tracks:
Carrie Underwood, See You Again (21,000, -11%, 145,000)
Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (13,000, -10%, 2.181 million)
Carrie Underwood, Two Black Cadillacs (11,000, -9%, 773,000)
Carrie Underwood, Good Girl (5,000, -5%, 1.724 million)
Carrie Underwood, Wasted (5,000, +396%, 784,000)

Pi314CA

^^I need to do some research but my first guess is the drop is in part due to Mother's Day. I recall BA album sales were decent last week, possibly propped up a bit by Mother's Day sales. I need to look at album sales for several country albums over the past several weeks to validate my reasoning.

some singles that are released are only released to radio for example Mariah Carey's 1995 album Daydream had six singles released to radio but only 3 were released to stores and only those charted on the hot 100 all reaching #1 for at least 2 weeks each selling a total of 5.5 million singles in the US. we never know what the label will decide to do some songs sell slowly others sell quickly

clh_hilary

some singles that are released are only released to radio for example Mariah Carey's 1995 album Daydream had six singles released to radio but only 3 were released to stores and only those charted on the hot 100 all reaching #1 for at least 2 weeks each selling a total of 5.5 million singles in the US. we never know what the label will decide to do some songs sell slowly others sell quickly

1. Why is this has been relevant to this thread? The last time she was selling anything was SEVEN years ago, before Carrie even debuted on the scene.

2. All three of her singles had been heavily discounted to 45 cents each, which was extremely low especially if you compared them to singles of normal pricing. Not only did they not sell 5.5 million copies in total, but they don't actually make any money ever if they had good sales, especially when one of them was a collaboration.

3. We are now in 2013, not 1996 when your favourite was still selling 17 years ago. We don't release physical singles anymore bar a selected few such as Madonna and Lady GaGa. Even Carey herself doesn't warrant enough sales for any label to release a physical single for her. The last and only Carrie single who got a physical treatment was 'Inside Your Heaven' in 2005, which by the way knocked 'We Belong Together' off from its manufactured free-downloads-are-sales nobody-buys-the-song-but-let's-pay-radio-to-play-the-hell-out-of-it No 1.

4. The reason why the other three 'singles' did not get commercially released was because they all miserably flopped. They could not even chart on the R&B airplay chart. 'See You Again' is Top 20 on country (the most listened format, unlike R&B), and is expected to go No 1. This is not a flopping Carey situation. Not to mention THREE million copies of DayDream had been practically given away for free in music clubs. They needed to cut their losses on Carey over her manufactured 'success'.

Eder Rodrigues

Billboard 200
66 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE BLOWN AWAY 6,178 -31 8,986 1,443,801

Digital Songs
97 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE SEE YOU AGAIN 21,119 -11 23,653 144,887
147 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE BLOWN AWAY 13,167 -10 14,672 2,181,277
170 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE TWO BLACK CADILLACS 11,480 -9 12,601 773,159

Canadian Albums
54 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE BLOWN AWAY 784 +21 647 108,220