Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else think "Oklahoma Wind" would've been perfect on Blown Away?

CarrieFan928

PMing you right now.

Thank you! I felt so bad illegally downloading something from a sketchy site. lol

I don't think it's amazing but the lyrics are well-written and intriguing and Carrie's voice is just phenomenal. It does sound a lot like SWISLY so maybe that's why she didn't include it on Play On. Or (I know this is going to sound crazy) but maybe Carrie just doesn't like it that much. She might've liked SWISLY better and decided to keep that one instead. And on Blown Away she had Wine After Whiskey as the slow country ballad.

I was just thinking that it would be interesting if Blown Away had been a wind/weather album where each song has something to do with that that. lol It would be hard writing songs with different themes and stories but staying on topic.

Farawayhills

I'm certainly a supporter of "Oklahoma Wind", but I don't think it's likely to resurface soon. Quite apart from the issue of Carrie apparently wanting to send a strong message to insiders not to pass out rough versions of songs, there's also the difficulty that newer material is always competing for artists' attention. (As one of the lines goes:"I'll be gone, moving on, like the Oklahoma Wind")

That said, though, there are strong reasons that might make this song a special case. There's the Oklahoma connection; there's the involvement of one of the greats, Bill Anderson, who first welcomed Carrie to the Opry and has spoken highly of her on other occasions; and Jon Randall is someone that Carrie could certainly benefit from working with. "Whiskey Lullaby", from the same writers, was one of the most significant Country songs of the past decade. If Carrie really doesn't want to go with this song, she could still consider Jon Randall's talents on something else in future. Here's another example:

As many fans do like OW, talking about it could help Carrie to think of songs with a similar feel - but for OW itself, I think the best chance is that it might appear one day on some "special" collection, but rather less likely now on a main career album.

hjj

I would love for Carrie to work w/ Jon Randall and of course Bill Anderson could join in as well.

Manchs

Thanks a lot for the link, Louisa! But I don't know how to download illegally from that link :p Could someone please PM me the song? :)

i'm actually quite upset with carrie regarding OW, if i'm being honest. she KNEW how much we, her fans, wanted it, and she must know how amazing it is. not only is it greedy and selfish, but it is also rude of her to keep this masterpiece off her album just because of a small leak. it makes her seem like a little child, imo. like when stephenie meyer's manuscript of whatever twilight book, and she refused to publish it after--that's exactly what carrie did with OW. it would've fit 100% on the album. absolutely unquestionable. i'm positive it would've been an album highlight, and she ruined it. i'll never, ever get over her not releasing it. and as much as i love her and her music, there will always be a small (small, it doesn't ruinmy life) ounce of anger towards carrie because of OW

allamericangirl8

Does anyone still need the PM link?

i'm actually quite upset with carrie regarding OW, if i'm being honest. she KNEW how much we, her fans, wanted it, and she must know how amazing it is. not only is it greedy and selfish, but it is also rude of her to keep this masterpiece off her album just because of a small leak. it makes her seem like a little child, imo. like when stephenie meyer's manuscript of whatever twilight book, and she refused to publish it after--that's exactly what carrie did with OW. it would've fit 100% on the album. absolutely unquestionable. i'm positive it would've been an album highlight, and she ruined it. i'll never, ever get over her not releasing it. and as much as i love her and her music, there will always be a small (small, it doesn't ruinmy life) ounce of anger towards carrie because of OW

I'm irrationally upset with Carrie, too, about OW, but I really don't think those are the right words for it. She wanted to send a message to us not to pass around rough cuts. In my opinion, I think she was embarrassed by how she sounded (crazy, I know!) and that just fueled this. She's not bending to our pressure, and that's pretty admirable. She doesn't cater to us. We choose to be her fans. It may seem greedy, but, at the end of the day, it's her art, not ours, and we really didn't have any right to get our hands on it in the first place. That's the message she's presenting, and it's the adult thing to do. Being a little child would be more like her going through with the song because we liked it so much even though we principally didn't deserve to hear it. She's taking a stand.

Now I freaking adore the song and I'll probably always be slightly mad at Carrie for it for my own selfish purposes, but I don't think she was being rude, greedy, selfish, or a little child. I just think she needed to put an end to it and this is how she chose to do it. And it's quite effective if I do say so myself! I don't think anyone will ever want to leak a rough cut ever again -- especially a golden one like the one we struck with OW.

All that said, if Carrie's done with songs permanently, like, there's absolutely no hope, keep the leaks comin'! I want to hear Carrie sing Nobody Knows and shamelessly do not care how I get to hear it.

Farawayhills

Admitedly, I'm more used to the Independent sector (and therefore may be talking about something which is contractually impossible for artists with Mainstream record deals) but some singers don't just rely on album releases, but put up extra songs on their websites - sometimes one a month - sometimes free, sometimes for fans to buy. I'd love to get some of Carrie's studio out-takes, specials and "front porch" recordings, if her Sony contract allowed her to do something like that.

Ty

Rachel Holder tweeted that she has a song written by Carrie on her new album. And I'm thinking it may be this one.

Louisa

Aw, I'm not sure I want to hear another artist sing Oklahoma Wind. I still wish Carrie would have released it. Sad. :(

supercarriefan

I'll be happy for Rachel Holder if Carrie gave OW to her. Rachel is a wonderful singer, and she would do a great job with the song.
It upsets me to see people still so hung up on Carrie's recording of OW. I hope that in time people will let it go, move on, and realize that Carrie is giving us great music whether she records OW or not. Why would anyone have anger toward a singer just because they didn't record one song?
I can't believe someone would accuse Carrie of being rude, selfish, greedy and childlike because she took a stand against leaking her demos. Seriously? Carrie not releasing OW sends a message to everyone that is thinking of leaking her demos to think twice. I'm glad she took a stand on the matter. It's a very adult thing to do.
I hope that most people eventually just let this go. I hope that ten years from now people still aren't lamenting over OW lol.

holding0n2jesus

I definitely think that OW fit this album sooo much better than the others. I am still disappointed she has not released it... To date, it is still my absolutely favorite song she has ever written.