Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood 7- Denim and Rhinestones

I feel like there’s a distinction between personal and autobiographical that often times get blurred, not just for Carrie but for artists in general. For example, a song like Spinning Bottles may not be viewed by some people as personal because it isn’t in the first person/ from Carrie’s own perspective. However, she still felt a connection to that song in whatever way that’s personal to her.

monkeyboy16

Just because we didn't know the information, does not mean it wasn't more personal for Carrie.

I’m not disputing that. I agree, but from a perspective of someone who is listening to the song, I like having insight into context. I want to listen to a song and instantly understand what she’s trying to express. I know this will set some people off, but Miranda is also someone who doesn’t like to share details of her life publicly, but I can listen to the Weight of These Wings and Wildcard and instantly understand what she’s feeling and going thru. I think a lot of the other female artists that are gaining in popularity have been able to do that as well. For me, Cry Pretty (song) was really the first time she did that. The first time listening to the opening verse made my jaw drop. There’s writing a sad song because you’re feeling sad (which there’s nothing wrong with) and then there’s writing a sad song with context about why your sad or something related to that feeling. Thy Will by Hillary Scott is the perfect example. The song isn’t about her miscarriage, it’s about the anger and pain she felt towards God as a result. I don’t need major details to understand the message she was conveying. A song like Spinning Bottles doesn’t do that for me.

Momin

1. What I want is the album to not be constructed around radio specifically but around what truly goes together as a theme. I think with CP, Southbound was way too different from the rest of the songs. I understand she needed something upbeat but something like That Song and EUWY did that well. They had a bit of a personal element to it AND was fun. Southbound felt very impersonal and specifically made for radio.

2. I know that songs are supposed to be people's own interpretation but I really, really want Carrie to give more information on the meaning behind the song, how it was made, what it was intended to be, the songwriting process etc. I feel like we don't get that enough and as a fan, I crave that more. I want to hear more of her personal story/personal investment in the song. For example, she mentioned at the CRS event before performing Spinning Bottles that she kept it off the tour because it was too personal. So I'm assuming there was an alcoholic in his family/friends. So I wish we knew more about her reason for picking songs.

ChoctawCountyAffair

1. What I want is the album to not be constructed around radio specifically but around what truly goes together as a theme. I think with CP, Southbound was way too different from the rest of the songs. I understand she needed something upbeat but something like That Song and EUWY did that well. They had a bit of a personal element to it AND was fun. Southbound felt very impersonal and specifically made for radio.

2. I know that songs are supposed to be people's own interpretation but I really, really want Carrie to give more information on the meaning behind the song, how it was made, what it was intended to be, the songwriting process etc. I feel like we don't get that enough and as a fan, I crave that more. I want to hear more of her personal story/personal investment in the song. For example, she mentioned at the CRS event before performing Spinning Bottles that she kept it off the tour because it was too personal. So I'm assuming there was an alcoholic in his family/friends. So I wish we knew more about her reason for picking songs.

Yesss, i 100% agree. I wish she would put out the songwriting memos, or the first versions of the songs, and make videos talking about the songwriting process. Something like Taylor did with the Long Pond Studio Sessions. We all know Carrie is involved in the creation of the songs, on the songwriting, but i wish she would tell us more

Bookgirl36

1. I think Southbound was on there to kind of bring a more positive element to the album since the album was so heavy in content given what she was going through at the time. But I didn’t see That Song or EUWY as “personal” songs that had a personal element to them because those weren’t songs that she had a hand in writing. Those were definitely more upbeat songs for sure but I just didn’t see the “personal” element to them.I do have to agree that even though she had a hand in writing Southbound,it just felt extremely impersonal because a song that talks about fun & partying coming from someone that by her own admission doesn’t do a lot of partying just didn’t make any sense to me.
2.A lot of her songs are open to interpretation but if she gave insight on why she chose that song to record,the meaning behind it,how it was made,who wrote the song,the inspiration behind the song & what the process was behind who helped write it,I would actually enjoy it. It would just be really neat to see why she chose the song & why she felt so invested in the song to put it on an album.

Farawayhills

Carrie has been writing with Julia Michaels. There’s a new song co-written by both of them registered on BMI

No Matter What (Underwood, David Hodges, Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter)

I don't know their work well, but Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter also co-wrote "Ribbons and Bows" with Kacey Musgraves. If that is anything to go by, this could be one of the happier, upbeat songs that many are asking for.
But whether or not that might be the case, one thing we can pretty well be sure of is that the album will be varied, in both style and song themes. Carrie's deep album cuts are an important part of what I would say she seems to want to achieve in her artistry.

CU4ever

Carrie has been writing with Julia Michaels. There’s a new song co-written by both of them registered on BMI

No Matter What (Underwood, David Hodges, Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter)

I remember when Julia Michaels tagged Carrie in a comment and asked her to come sing on that FGL song. I guess Carrie wasn't mad about that if she wrote with her

maddkat

Staff member
^ the registered song is probably from the CP era, so it would pre date the FGL invite. Really know nothing about her but if she was actually urging Carrie to sing with those jokes I question her taste.

Momin

I do wish Carrie would be more interactive on social media with other artists. It's fun to see cross-artist interactions and see who is listening to what.

Josh

I just can't figure what direction her next album will take after My Savior. Tradition Country like at ACM's, more traditional rock/country, or more pop is Julia Michaels is involved. I hope it's cohesive enough to win a Grammy or three, unlike the last one. Which was an amazing album, btw.

Bookgirl36

I just can't figure what direction her next album will take after My Savior. Tradition Country like at ACM's, more traditional rock/country, or more pop is Julia Michaels is involved. I hope it's cohesive enough to win a Grammy or three, unlike the last one. Which was an amazing album, btw.

I think that’s the fun of trying to figure out what direction she will go with her next album after My Savior, she keeps us guessing what type of music will be on her next album. I found Cry Pretty extremely disjointed and not cohesive at all, it just didn’t flow that well to me. I just didn’t feel as connected to that album as I do her previous albums. I know what I’m about to say will sound crazy,but I didn’t feel there was as much passion for that album as there was in the past. It may have been the music she wanted to make at the time but I just didn’t hear that passion in her voice for that album as I hear in her voice for My Savior when she was talking about in the video announcing the album.The vocals on Cry Pretty were amazing but I just didn’t think the album was as amazing as people made it out to be.

PRGuy79

The headline of this thread needs to be changed to Studio Album 9. Both My Gift and My Savior are studio albums and should not be considered as less significant than the others, in my opinion. Greatest Hits was a compilation album predominately of past Carrie hits, whereas My Gift and My Savior are new material for her.

Bookgirl36

The headline of this thread needs to be changed to Studio Album 9. Both My Gift and My Savior are studio albums and should not be considered as less significant than the others, in my opinion. Greatest Hits was a compilation album predominately of past Carrie hits, whereas My Gift and My Savior are new material for her.

I don’t think people consider my Gift & my savior lesser albums,I just think they’re thinking that those are separate from her studio albums & don’t consider them as true studio albums since these are songs that people have been singing for years & they’re songs everyone knows.I guess if you’re looking at them from the standpoint of studio albums,they could be truly thought of as true studio albums.

Josh

Why are some artists Christmas albums considered studio releases and some aren't?

Whatever the next album is.. 7,8 or 9, I hope it's released at September the latest.

adam1995

Why are some artists Christmas albums considered studio releases and some aren't?

Whatever the next album is.. 7,8 or 9, I hope it's released at September the latest.

Do you think we'll be lucky enough to get three albums in one year?

adam1995

I wish we could! Or within a year, with MG being the first. But, I meant 7,8, or9 in case we're skipping MG and MS, which would have been 7 and 8.

No I know what you meant. MG, MS and a studio album by September would be 3 in one year, completely against Carrie's nature, lol. Of course so is two albums in 6 or 7 months.

Josh

No I know what you meant. MG, MS and a studio album by September would be 3 in one year, completely against Carrie's nature, lol. Of course so is two albums in 6 or 7 months.

Yeah, but we're in very unnatural times. The pandemic is just messing things up worldwide, but that could mean more time finding inspiration, being creative, focus on improving songwriting skills, and catching up on all the albums she could have released throughout the years. Maybe even developing the stories better for her videos, so there's an actual story to it. It doesn't have to be big budget if the video itself is like a mini movie.

Actually, it'd be perfect if she releases 2 this year, as that would be like an album every two years since her debut. And, I'd love to see Carrie directing a video or two of her own. Taylor and Miley did that and it was pretty amazing. Seeing women being able to take more creative control with their art is something I'd love to see more of.

Edit: so it doesn't look like one big paragraph

Last edited:

Zach1998

Do you think we'll be lucky enough to get three albums in one year?
I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we do. When she announced My Savior the way she worded it makes me believe it’s already been completed. That means that from here on out she can plan for the next album (which I’m sure she probably has already somewhat started preparing for already.) I feel like MG & MS were probably easier albums to make because neither of them will have a lot of new material on them, basically sifting through songs that she wants to make the cut, with a few originals sprinkled in. Even if the album doesn’t come this year; I have a gut feeling we will at least have the lead by the end of this year.