Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie's sales and chart achievements (Blown Away era)

Pi314CA

Thanks a lot, Pi. :) What about the purchase-a-track day we were planning on doing a couple months ago?

It is moving awfully slowly, unfortunately. :/

Just fyi that the estimates I used were very conservative. When time permits, I will provide the rationale behind all the estimated numbers. I rather be conservative than aggressive.

As for the purchase-a-track day/week, I'll start a thread (soon) on that. Things to decide are which track, which week, how to get the word out, etc. One thing that is going for us is that a song reaching the #1200 range on iTunes correlates to about 2,000 in sales for the week. For a song to get its sales published, its gonna need to be in the 5k-7k range. I would like to plan something significant that can achieve at least 7k of sales in a week.

Last edited:

clh_hilary

2012's sales for Carrie in the US:
Now a bona fide arena-level headliner, Underwood's career is clicking on all cylinders, topping 1 million in physical units and nearly 400,000 digital album sales and 5.5 million digital downloads.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/1549704/musics-top-40-money-makers-2013?list_page=2

The numbers are lower than Peter's estimates, but probably means the year "2012" means the chart year not the calender year.

Biggest digital tracks seller of the year was Taylor Swift, with 15.6 million downloads sold. Second place has Maroon 5, with 13.3 million downloads sold. For albums, ADELE sold 4 million physical copies of albums on top of 1.2 million digital copies; Taylor Swift sold 3 million physical ones and 1 million digitally.

Jason Aldean was the only bigger Country seller, selling 1.594 million copies of albums just from his two latest efforts. Interestingly Kenny Chesney sold 4.6 million digital tracks.

Pi314CA

That Billboard article says Carrie sold 1.4 million albums and 5.5 million digital downloads in 2012. My table in post #2 shows 1.5 million albums and 5.57 million digital downloads. The album numbers are pretty accurate so it could be the time frame that was used.

The time frames could be:

A. Last sales week reported for w/e 12/25/11 through w/e 12/30/12 (that's what I used)
B. 1/1/12 through 12/31/12
C. 2/1/12 through 1/31/13 (12 months prior from Feb 2013 date of article)
D. Other

I will tweak my numbers by using 1/1/12 thru 12/30/12. That will move a few thousand to 2011 from 2012.

What I find confirming is the digital downloads of 5.5 million. My 'conservative' estimates resulted in a total of downloads of 5.57 million. That is pretty darn close. I will ratchet down my estimate a tad to arrive at 5.5 million.

For those who want look at the official published totals, I will add this information in a different color. Targeting to get to this next weekend after I do my taxes.

clh_hilary

That Billboard article says Carrie sold 1.4 million albums and 5.5 million digital downloads in 2012. My table in post #2 shows 1.5 million albums and 5.57 million digital downloads. The album numbers are pretty accurate so it could be the time frame that was used.

The time frames could be:

A. Last sales week reported for w/e 12/25/11 through w/e 12/30/12 (that's what I used)
B. 1/1/12 through 12/31/12
C. 2/1/12 through 1/31/13 (12 months prior from Feb 2013 date of article)
D. Other

I will tweak my numbers by using 1/1/12 thru 12/30/12. That will move a few thousand to 2011 from 2012.

What I find confirming is the digital downloads of 5.5 million. My 'conservative' estimates resulted in a total of downloads of 5.57 million. That is pretty darn close. I will ratchet down my estimate a tad to arrive at 5.5 million.

For those who want look at the official published totals, I will add this information in a different color. Targeting to get to this next weekend after I do my taxes.

Oh so you did Billboard years, and Billboard did calender years! lol

Well this means she doesn't sell a lot of album tracks.

Pi314CA

It's been over 3 months since the last update of post #2 which contains Carrie's sales info. Did some extrapolations and used all the latest data. During these past 3+ months, Carrie has sold over 200k albums and 1.4 million tracks!

Note: I did not color code what is published data with no extrapolation and what is with extrapolation. Maybe next time.

Pi314CA

It's a math term. Go to Webster dictionary for definition. Seriously I don't have time to respond such questions. Sorry short on patience regarding this.

If you are wondering if the numbers are accurate, the answer is the data presented are solid estimates.

Pi314CA

I'm heading for an extended overseas vacation tonight, so I thought I would at least do a partial update to the 2nd post of this thread.

I have updated the first two tables, namely, the album sales and track sales for the Blown Away era. Even with the 4th single, SYA, not fully completing its chart run, the track sales for the BA era has already exceeded the PO era by over 600,000. : )

Have a great September ya'll and just enjoy all that Carrie is doing! Talk to you in several weeks.

Pi314CA

Just updated the entire table in post #2 on the first page of this thread.

Congratulations to Carrie for another stellar year. Over 600k albums and 4 million tracks sold in 2013!!