Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Country Universe - 2011 Singles: A Wish List (Carrie mention)

Claire2004

2011 Singles: A Wish List
by Kevin John Coyne
January 22, 2011

The bulk of our work at Country Universe this month has been catching up on singles currently at radio. Collectively, they’ve been abysmal, with review grades rarely reaching a B, let alone an A.

How can we turn this around? Here are five songs that I’d love to see sent to radio tomorrow. Share your own in the comments!

Carrie part:
Carrie Underwood, “Change”
I suspect those with more refined tastes than mine are clamoring for “Someday When I Stop Loving You”, an admittedly beautiful ballad, but this is the track I’m returning to the most from Play On. I think it captures the nagging cynicism that prevents many of us from fully embracing our inner benevolence.
Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » 2011 Singles: A Wish List

abbeyjones18

I have always liked Change, and I have always felt that Change fit the whole "worldly" theme that Play On seems to have...in my opinion. I don't think it should be a single, though. :)

HuiZ

Eh I'm usually ok with Kevin's reviews... but Change? Love Carrie... but no thanks for a single.

sur_crazy4carrie

Look at Dan Millikan's comment on SWISLY
I’ve kinda gotten over “Someday When I Stop Loving You” anyway, so I’d be content with whatever from that album. I think the fullness of Carrie’s voice matched with the spare production makes the song sound a lot deeper and more interesting than it really is.

I've always thought this about THTBM. Not that I don't love the song but I always thought it was a little over praised.

I'll pass on Change as a single. Not one of my favorites from PO. It should be SWISLY/SLT/TT/WCIS

undrwood9098

I think Change is a fantastic song and all, but picking that over bigger (and better) gems like WCIS and SWISLY?

...Let's hope Arista NEVER finds this article.

jbrown

Does the label have the final say of which single to be released? Does Carrie have a big say on it? Thanks.

teesharky

I like Change, but it should have been just the Idol Gives Back song on an itunes EP or itunes download. It is beautiful, but it is not the kind of song people want to hear on the radio over and over again, due to the message. It could come off as preachy if you hear it too many times a day. I think that is why the critics trashed it. It did not fit the theme of the album, and should have been a charity single itunes song.

Gator

The "wishes" in the comments section are as diverse as on this board. BTW: I am not the "Gator" posting on Country Universe. :)

I wish they would annouce the singe already so we can stop hoping, praying, and speculating! :p

utlovescarrie

Look at Dan Millikan's comment on SWISLY

I've always thought this about THTBM. Not that I don't love the song but I always thought it was a little over praised.

I'll pass on Change as a single. Not one of my favorites from PO. It should be SWISLY/SLT/TT/WCIS
Dan's comment worries me a little. Almost everyone loved SWISLY from the very first. Maybe they have overplayed it on their CD players for the last 15 months. Maybe they SHOULD go with a sleeper (I LOVE LOOK AT ME!!!) instead.

undrwood9098

Randomly and out of the blue, Wikipedia is now listing WCIS as the 5th single.
Of course it's the last site to ever believe, but there's always a chance of it...

pgk

I don't think he's being sarcastic at all, but if I understand him correctly he seems to be saying that 'Change' is his personal favorite

O/T: Am I the only one who has to keep logging in every time I come on the site? Is this the way it's supposed to work? It didn't work this way before...

jeff

just another fan
Dan's comment worries me a little. Almost everyone loved SWISLY from the very first. Maybe they have overplayed it on their CD players for the last 15 months. Maybe they SHOULD go with a sleeper (I LOVE LOOK AT ME!!!) instead.

Dan is at best indifferent towards Carrie

Ty

LMAO. How does it sound sarcastic? I don't get that at all.

Kevin's stated multiple times that he loves 'Change'.

Carrieflattsfan

I've adored all the live performances of "Change," and I think Carrie brings amazing passion to an otherwise cliche song.
However, I wouldn't want to hear this on the radio all the time. I think the label has had so many misteps with singles this era, it's almost urgent that they pick a gem from the album to keep the interest level up.

I do like "Change," but I think it'd be a big mistake to release it at this point. I know Kevin is a big Carrie fan, but I'm surprised he likes "Change" so much. Then again, he adored "Undo It," so who knows? I was actually pretty impressed with his valid arguments in defending the merits of UI.;)