Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Pretty Album Reviews

liz278

This is not a review per se. Just a hit job. Review is yet to come.

September 18, 2018[h=1]Carrie Underwood Team Going Too Far in Exploiting Personal Tragedy[/h]Trigger Random Notes 1 Comment

When you first heard about Carrie Underwood’s unfortunate fall and her need for hospitalization in November of 2017, it was hard not to feel bad for the country star regardless of how you felt about her music. Releasing the song “Cry Pretty” as part of the personal revelations about the injury made the story especially poignant. But as time went on with all of the overhyped face reveals and endless tabloid media stories on the matter, the whole thing began to feel opportunistic, if not downright exploitative of the unfortunate situation Carrie Underwood suffered.
Then came the release of Carrie Underwood tour dates for 2019, way ahead of when such things would normally be revealed, and coinciding with the announcement that she was pregnant. At that point you began to sense a pattern of personal details paralleling the news of music matters as a strategy to market her new record.
Now the big news over the same weekend Carrie released the new album Cry Pretty is that she experienced three miscarriages recently. Obviously this was a difficult experience for Underwood and her husband, and your heart can only go out to her as you imagine the grief she felt trying to add a fourth member to her young family. Beyond any music issues, the health and well-being of artists should always be a priority.
But at this point, utilizing Carrie Underwood’s personal matters to promote her music has become ridiculous and incredibly transparent, to the point of insulting the intelligence of the country music public. If you can’t see what’s going on here, you’re either not paying attention, or are so swept up in Carrie Underwood fandom, your perspective is without objectivity. Even then, elements of Carrie Underwood’s notoriously loyal fanbase are beginning to become fatigued by all of the tragic Carrie Underwood news, and its coinciding with important markers on her album release calendar. Revealing three miscarriages is probably something more fit for a late career biography as opposed to a way to bolster album sales.
Of course this is nothing new. Celebrities have been piggybacking personal information to important entertainment news to promote their careers for decades. We’ve just rarely see it employed with such a heavy hand, especially in country music. And you almost can’t blame Carrie Underwood and her team for choosing this route. With mainstream country radio offering little support to women, often they have to resort to other avenues of promotion to connect with an audience. And since country music media has devolved into nothing more than celebrity gossip mining and lifestyle reporting with the occasional foray into political rancor exploitation, riding Carrie Underwood’s personal tragedies for public attention is probably not a bad promotional strategy.
Still, it’s fair to question if it’s any of our business how many miscarriages Carrie Underwood has experienced, not to mention how hard it might be for Carrie Underwood herself to reveal such things just to keep her name in the news. Instead, the focus should be on the music, how this is the first record Carrie Underwood has co-produced, and why her label chose to pull promotion from her lead single two weeks before the album release, which is pretty unheard of from a major country artist, even if the song was scoring low.
The whole stretegy just smacks of desperation, while were witnessing the tabling off of yet another star in country music prematurely. Many artists reveal details of their personal lives to help create appeal and intrigue beyond their music. But we’ve never seen an artist go so hard in this direction as we’re seeing from the Carrie Underwood team.
– – – – – – – – –
Saving Country Music review Carrie Underwood’s new album is forthcoming.

Thanks for posting this article so that we don't have to give his site any hits.

Smokyiiis

This says updated....have not had a chance to review changes?
[h=1]'Cry Pretty' review: Carrie Underwood at the peak of her powers[/h]
image.jpg
Carrie Underwood's "Cry Pretty." Photo Credit: Capitol Records Nashville

By Glenn Gamboa glenn.gamboa@newsday.com @ndmusic Updated September 12, 2018 11:08 AM

4 stars out of 4 starsCARRIE UNDERWOOD
"Cry Pretty"
BOTTOM LINE Taking control to deliver her first world-class artistic effort.
Carrie Underwood has always been a great singer, from the moment we met the Checotah, Oklahoma, native on “American Idol” in 2005.
But she hasn’t always had great songs to sing. For every “Jesus, Take the Wheel” or “So Small” on her albums, there was plenty of pleasant country filler. But not on “Cry Pretty” (Capitol Music Nashville).
Start to finish, Underwood’s sixth album is easily her best, filled with songs that make the most of her voice, both physical and lyrical. The title track may be more poignant following Underwood’s fall last year that resulted in 50 stitches in her face and an uncomfortable focus on how she looks. But when she belts out the song’s final third, she is undeniable.
Maybe the biggest surprise on “Cry Pretty” are the numerous risks Underwood takes that all pay off. Musically, she offers her poppiest song in years with “That Song That We Used to Make Love To,” which leans more toward Aaliyah-era R&B instead of anything currently on country radio. Lyrically, Underwood takes on issues that she has previously sidestepped.
“The Bullet” is a wrenching ballad about those left behind by violence that Underwood included in part because of the shooting deaths at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas. “You can blame it on hate or blame it on guns,” she sings with increasing intensity. “But mamas ain’t supposed to bury their sons.”
On “Love Wins,” one of the nine songs she co-wrote on the album, Underwood creates a soaring anthem of inclusion after pointing out pitfalls like “politics and prejudice.”
Of course, Underwood shines brightest with a string of future country smashes, including the celebration of classic country heroes on “Ghosts on the Stereo” and her fiery defense of home life on “Kingdom.”
“Cry Pretty” finds Underwood at the peak of her powers and she’s determined to use them for good.

teesharky

Saving Country Music went too far with their hate this time. That’s really low. Like evil.

i don’t even have words.

teesharky

So even though there are several more reviews out there that count on Metacritic- they are not posting them. Odd.

Kizmet311

I know I shouldn't have given him a hit, but I left a comment on the article on Saving Country Music. So that you do not have to give him any more hits, here is the gist of what I said. Can't quote it directly, because he has to approve comments before they show up.

Hey, Trigger, when Jason Isbell gave an interview to Rolling Stone less than a month after his album was released and talked about his drinking problems and sleeping around on his first wife, was he using his personal life to get album sales? Just curious. I included a link to the article. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/jason-isbells-new-morning-51991/

pkc4rls

Did the knucklehead at saving country write the same kind of article when Mr. BS himself released his last album and all the articles about his divorce and new girlfriend. Or ML and her vague comments when she released her last album?

That is exactly what I want to know??? I bet not!!!!

pkc4rls

Thank you! Gosh Pam we miss you. So nice to have you back as well as many others . It’s like the old gang is all here’!

well except for a few wonderful people like Cary who passed.

Oh thanks. Gosh Cary passing just was so sad. It is like a family member passed. Very sad.

pkc4rls

Being a novice on all things music albums, what does redeeming an album indicate?

I think they mean people bought tour bundles that include tickets and a CD if you redeem it but apparently you must ask for the CD and it sounds like if you don’t redeem it, it doesn’t count as a sale. The worry is I guess that some people may have bought it for the tickets and may not even be planning to redeem the CD.

is that right all?

thaifood

I don’t think a bad review is going to stop someone from buying an album. Maybe a good review will cause someone to buy it but I once bought an album because it had such a great review in Rolling Stone and it turned out to be one of the worst albums I ever bought.

northtexas

Saving Country Music went too far with their hate this time. That’s really low. Like evil.

i don’t even have words.

So far at SCM there are 122 comments to his article about Carrie and at least 100 of those are critical of Trigger for writing it and just a handful supporting him.

liz278

^^^Sometimes I wonder if he is feeling like he needs more hits to his site, he does something like this to make it seem like he is even relevant. I think he enjoys doing things like this to create buzz for his site. He got 122 comments, more than he probably got in a week of writing his awful blog. He won't apologize for his comments.

But I am glad that people are supporting Carrie.

The Gunslinger

Thanks for posting this article so that we don't have to give his site any hits.

I agree with you Liz.. This article was purposely way over the top to get the angry reaction it’s getting.. Obviously he hates Carrie and he uses that hatred to get hits on the site... He and his site should be completely ignored by Carriefans.. That would be the best way to deal with this mental midget... IMHO

Kizmet311

I wish I hadn't posted a comment, because of course he came back with something about he has written previously about interviews with Jason Isbell being all about his politics and not his music, blah blah blah. I am doing my best to resist going back and engaging, because he clearly isn't going to change his mind. The bottom line is this - even if it is his opinion that the timing of this interview was for album promo, HE DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO AN OPINION. No one, male or female, gets to have an opinion on when/how a woman (with Carrie's celebrity status or otherwise) chooses to share such a personal, sorrowful event. Her miscarriages, so much more than her fall, have influenced the development of this album. It makes sense that she would talk about them in the context of the album. Otherwise, she probably would have never talked about them at all. Carrie has always been so freaking private, other than sharing her wedding photos, and she has one bad year and the media are all over it and it's her fault? Trigger is an absolute idiot and he's being an Equus africanus asinus. (Yes, I had to google that, lol)

teesharky

It's very odd that Metacritic has not included NY Times, etc- and the other reviews that count. Oh well. I guess it will end at 7 critics and a score of 71.

Eminem has 16 critics but some of them are obscure.

davistrn

Carrie Underwood Lays It All Out In "Cry Pretty" ? Immortal Reviews

Carrie Underwood lays it all out in Cry Pretty, her newest record that really aims to be honest and real. The songs all have a personal message inlaid within them, allowing for Underwood to really develop an intimate relationship with her fans and her own feelings.
The tone of the record is really set by the opening track, the eponymous track ‘Cry Pretty.’ In this quieter introduction, Underwood really doesn’t stray from honesty. It’s like an introduction to herself and what she’ll be talking about on the rest of the record: namely, insecurities. These are addressed thoroughly in Cry Pretty, through songs like ‘Low,’ a powerful ballad that really explodes in an amazing build towards the end. Other tracks like ‘Spinning Bottles‘ have so many emotions that it’s almost hard to swallow. Underwood really doesn’t hold back anything on this record.

DaisyTweets

I saw on twitter that someone tweet the Oaks & Brad and a couple other people, wondering what their reaction was to the article on Saving Country Music. The Oaks responded and it was really sweet. This what they tweeted: Absurd and thoughtless.... our @carrieunderwood is nothing but 1st class and the girl exudes confidence and grace and integrity... Has these people even heard this album? It is a masterpiece... no ploys needed anyhow!

Last edited: